Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #16

Good Evening, Flowers! I fell sound asleep in front of the TV this evening -- hate it when I do that! A friend called and woke me up or I would probably still be there. I don't know what my problem is; I'd like to blame it on the time change but that is long gone. Today was an interesting day at school in that all of the non-white students had to take some sort of test so the freshmen and sophomores were gone this morning and the juniors and seniors were gone this afternoon. It was pretty quiet in the halls and classrooms. Two more days and the weekend will be here, and we'll be on the "move" again.

Susan -- My mom had asthma and hay fever so I kind of know what you are dealing with. I remember when I was a little we made a couple trips to the hospital during the night because she couldn't get her breath. They would give her a shot and keep her until the next day. For awhile she had an oxygen tank by her bed. I'm glad Stan's surgery went well -- I hope things will go better now. Thanks for the ! I need all the help I can get!

"Gma" -- How aggravating to have the hood latch not work properly! At least is it fixed and hopefully you won't have any more problems with it. You have a wonderful trip and travel safely!

I need to figure out what I am wearing tomorrow. This weather is crazy! Guess I will find some things to layer! Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #2  

Faye, I hope your trip is going well thus far and no more problems with the car!

Jean, wonder what the test was - sounds like someone could be filing a suit since the white kids didn't take the test.

This weather is crazy - 80 Tuesday and today it'll be 55. I never know what to wear so have been wearing layers so I can shed and add as needed.

Last night was dialysis so didn't get to bed until midnight. I'm getting used to this a little however and fortunately it's only 2 nights where I have to get up the next morning. Last night the tech came out to tell me the new access port worked perfectly and they had no problems for the first time. I also found out there is a center only 4.5 miles from my house instead of 9.6 we are going now so I'm going to get him transferred there as soon as they have an opening and hopefully get him on the schedule earlier in the day.

We get a aged and disabled real estate tax relief (over 65) and I stopped and filed that this morning since the application I mailed 2 weeks ago never arrived. Thank heavens they called to see why we hadn't applied for this year and I kept a copy. We'll get $600 off our property tax this year so that is a big help.

Our lawn man came and cut the grass yesterday so I guess it is now official - winter has ended.

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another dreary, foggy day in my neighborhood. The temperature has dropped so it feels clammy cold. Of course there is no heat at school, but I turned our furnace up as soon as I got home. I had an AWOL student 8th hour; I counted him absent even though another student said he saw Jose on the way, and Jose said to tell me he was making up a PE class. They have make up slips that need to be signed by the study hall teachers so I counted him absent. The principal came looking for him as well as another teacher. I have a feeling he will be in deep do-do tomorrow morning.

Susan -- I'm glad to hear that the dialysis went without any problems. That makes a long day for both you and Stan. I hope you are able to transfer the treatment closer to home soon. I think the test had to do with the students' proficiency in the English language. All the freshmen had to take it while fewer sophomores, juniors, and just a couple seniors had to take it. The whites are definitely the minority now, sad to say. I'm glad someone was on the ball and called about your tax credit! Usually it happens after the fact.

"Gma" -- Have a safe and wonderful trip!

I'm off to warm up leftovers for supper. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #4  

Another cool but lovely day here...tree pollen is covering everything with a yellow blanket. Flowers are blooming. Palm Sunday this weekend - it came fast!

I have my last sock class tomorrow. I'm not where we were supposed to be but that's just too bad - more important things to do. I just have a few rows and I'll be there.

I have to get some cooking done over the weekend so we can just reheat on dialysis day or have something for the crockpot. My biggest problem is figuring out how to give things flavor. You can only use so much Mrs. Dash and herbs. And a meat marinade without salt. I've gotten another cookbook so I'm going to go through them this weekend.

Have a great weekend - be back on Monday!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:10 AM   #5  

Good Evening . . . or I could say "Good Morning" since it is after midnight here! The sun is peeked out after late this afternoon a day of fog and rain. I'm so glad it is Friday/Saturday! Tonight was our prime rib dinner that was scheduled for Feb. and canceled because of the snow storm. Jason's in-laws went with us so it was an enjoyable evening with entertainment afterwards.

Susan -- Cooking meals ahead sounds like a good idea! What are you fixing?

I am heading off to bed! Have a nice weekend.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-01-2007, 12:17 AM   #6  

Rain, rain, and more rain!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers! I just wanted to peek in before heading to bed. It was another "moving" day . . . the last one! Yipeeee! Getting the gun safe out of the basement took four young guys, two grandpas, and the pickup! They hooked a strap to the pickup and one grandpa backed up slowly while the other grandpa stood in the doorway directing the driver and the muscle power coming up the basement stairs. It is now sitting in the new garage and I think that is where it is going to stay! We stopped on our way home and picked up the swing set so will have that until they have grass. I am NOT ready for it to be Monday tomorrow.

Hope you all have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #8  

Hi, ladies! 80 degrees today - too hot for early April but I love it.

Jean, I know you are glad the moving is over. I swore I'd never move again when we moved into our house here. Only a couple of days until your break - hang in there.

Came into work and my computer would come on. Luckily one of our tenants is a computer repair shop so they put a new power supply on for me quickly. It's always something.

I'm off on Friday and Monday so I'm really happy about that. I can use a little extra time. I didn't get up until 8:30 am yesterday and it scared my husband. I rarely sleep past 6:30. I just felt worn out.

Jean, I made a big bottom round roast in the crockpot and we had that for dinner last night. Then I took the left overs and chopped it up. I'll used half that for a shepard's pie and half for beef and noodles. Put that in the freezer for another day. I cooked up 12 chicken breasts on the grill - lots of quick meals there. I'm trying out side dishes from my dialysis cookbooks to find somethings that are different. The hardest thing is to get seasonings right to make stuff taste good without salt. I guess we are getting used to it, however. We had a few slices of deli ham so I made a sandwich with a slice of cheese and ended up throwing most of it aways because it tasted way too salty.

Hopefully we'll be able to get a little more variety after he gets his blood work this week.

Hope Faye has an uneventful trip home. It'll be good to have her back.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's cold and windy in my corner of the world today. I got up to sprinkles and drove to school in rain which stopped sometime before noon. Of course we had no heat at school; several of us complained loud and long enough that the custodian finally turned the boilers on around noon. Even the students were complaining so it was definitely cold . . . 55 degrees in one room I was in. It takes forever to heat the water, so it was finally toasty by the time school got out. I hope she leaves it on tonight! I'm doing cat chores for a friend today and tomorrow after school. She has three that don't get along so live in separate rooms. Talk about a circus!

Susan -- After knowing that we moved boxes that Jason and Amanda hadn't had time to go through, my goal is to start sorting! The kids still have some things here, but I have boxes from my dad that have been in the basement way too long! That is going to be my summer project for sure. Of course I've said that for the last few summers and it seems like something always seems to get in my way. Your roast and chicken meals sound like a good plan. I'm hoping to do some extra cooking over break. I have a hard time reading a recipe and figuring out what it is going to taste like.

"Gma" -- We are anxious to hear all about your trip!

Not much is newsy from my corner of the world. Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #10  

Good morning everyone! Got back safe and sound yesterday evening, but had some news that upset me on the way home.

Kelly called us on the cell phone when we were about 5 hours from Memphis to tell us that Thomas had crashed head on with another kid on his bike and had a skull fracture! I was driving and all I got was Jack's end of the conversation: "What? Honey what happened to him? Is he ok?" etc etc. I am freaking out because I don't know if it is Alicia or Kelly calling and if it is Jay, Tom or Thomas who has something wrong. I got so upset when he told me, that he made me pull over on the highway and let him drive. Thomas is doing ok. He had a small bleed into his brain, but it stopped and that is ok. He has a concussion of course and bruising around his left eye. He is on soft foods, antibiotics for the rest of the week, no school and has to go to the ENT today to make sure he didn't do any damage to sinus bones, etc. He was so pale when we got to the house last evening, but perked up enough when we took him to Cracker Barrel for dinner (his choice) He got chicken and dumplings and ate some of those and a bunch of cooked carrots, which he loves and a brownie and ice cream dessert. He is feeling much better and coming along.

The trip was exhausting and I had bowel troubles the whole time. I tried to drink a lot of water, but it didn't seem to help. I am trying to get a bunch of fiber and water in me and drank a glass of citrucel this morning to try and get everything moving. On top of that, we couldn't keep the aerobed full of air and slept awful with that. Jack got sick Saturday night, so much so that we moved to a hotel for the night because the house was noisy with friends of Jay and Alicia's and Jack was vomiting his guts out. When we came back to the house, we slept in a double bed so my hip hurt and Jack's knees so we were pooped when we got home. You know I was tired when I didn't touch a thing, but we went to bed. I had picked up the dog when we got into town and then went to dd's so with that and dinner we didn't get home until nearly 9. I have a handle on it, but I may go lie down for an hour or so before I tackle cleaning the house. A nice hot shower might be the ticket too!

Jay and Alicia own an older home in a nice section by Notre Dame. The previous couple remodeled the upstairs bathroom and the idiot put the tub/shower against where the ceiling slants so it is for midgets then the downstairs shower is the size of a coffin, so I never felt like I got a good shower while we were there.

We did have a nice time visiting friends though. My best friend since 7th grade came to the shower and we made plans to have dinner on Sunday and spent 4 hours at the restaurant! We also had a shorter visit with our other friends because the food we ordered in was what made Jack violently ill so we went home early.

The shower was lovely and tons of food. They had 45 women stuffed into that house and she ended up opening gifts in the entranceway and her sisters would carry them through the living room and dining room showing people! It was something! I was official picture taker so I am sure they are all lousy!

Well, gals hope all is well with you. I am going to go up and take a nice hot hot shower and put on some clean clothes.

Have a great Tuesday!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #11  

Gosh, Faye, I'm sorry you had so many problems on your trip. No fun to be sick away from home, that's for sure. I'm glad Thomas is doing okay - fortunately kids usually heal up faster than us older folks.

Jean, I can't stand to be cold so I can symphatize with you and the freezing classrooms.

Not much going on here. I'm finally to the point of turning the heel of my sock so I'll see if I learned anything or not! Several of my friends from Curves also knit and we are thinking about starting a knitting bee.

Stan in continuing to improve. I'm thankful for that.

Have a good day!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was another really cold and windy day in my neighborhood. We had heat at school this morning so that was good! There were even a few snowflakes that fell from time to time. Our spring break has officially started. Yes! I donated blood after school and did my cat chores on the way home. Now I need to regroup and plan meals for the weekend plus do some much needed cleaning. Tomorrow I have a much needed perm scheduled and then a doctor's appt. to recheck my knee.

"Gma" -- I, too, am sorry to hear about your trip problems! What a scary thing to happen to Thomas -- I can imagine how scared you were to get the news! I'm glad he is on the mend. You mentioned cleaning. . .who messed up your house while you were gone?

Susan -- It is supposed to get down to 18 degrees tonight! Brrrr! That north wind is blowing hard tonight. I'm ready for some sunshine and WARM weather! A knitting group from Curves sounds like fun! I'm glad Stan is feeling better!

I'm off to change laundry loads. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #13  

Good morning gals! My little world is back and organized again so I can breathe a sigh of relief. Everything is put away, all the laundry done and put away and at least the downstairs is cleaned. This morning Jack has to go to the lab and get his cholesterol screening done for the doctor in August (his only time off before then except this Friday) and then out to the base to see if we can get my ID card early. It doesn't expire until August, but Jack doesn't want to have to waste a vacation day to do it and except for Good Friday, today (MLK death day) is the only day he has off. Keep your fingers crossed. I think we will just do the grocery shopping too while we are out there so I will have to get hopping and get a menu and list made up.

I think I told you I am part of a yarn swap with the ladies at my knitting site. You fill out a questionaire and email it to the coordinator and she matches you with someone in the same dollar amount. Now it is all a surprise so you don't have each other. I have a young college girl. I ordered her 4 balls of sock yarn in two different color, brown and pumpkin colors to felt a handbag, with the handbag book, a couple skeins of funky yarn to make a scarf with.

Jean: You are a laugh riot. Actually, the cat made a big mess, but he always does. I had not cleaned house before I left and it was nasty in my opinion. I was talking on the drive home from Indiana about something to do with you and Jack said he was surprised I hadn't said something about visiting you. I said, I had no idea how far it even was to Iowa! I have to tell the teacher the truth, if you put a blank map up, I might not pick which one is Iowa. I know the general region, but would get you and nebraska mixed up I am afraid. I just have to remember you are above Missouri and next to Illinois. I told him you lived in a smaller town but I could never remember whether you were closer to Des Moines or Souix City! Hope you have fun on your week off now that the moving is all finished!

Susan: I hope this stuff is now going to turn around for Stan and you can get into the closer area and get a better time. You are going to run out of steam sooner or later if not. I will keep praying for his good health! Can't wait to see those socks. I kind of hope the lady that has me buys me sock yarn so I can learn to make them.

I guess I better get out of here so I can get the menu done etc and get morning chores accompished.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #14  

Good morning, ladies! The following is from Prevention Magazine - throught it was interesting so wanted to share.

8 Secrets of the Naturally Slim
Act like you're a size smaller, and you'll be a size smaller. How thin women thrive in a supersized world

by Megan McMorris

We all have that one thin friend--the one who's never bullied into submission by the bread basket, and when she says "I'll just have a bite," she does just that. Is she for real?

Turns out, research shows that thin people simply don't think about food the same way as--well, the rest of us. "Thin people have a relaxed relationship with food," explains David L. Katz, MD, an associate professor adjunct in public health at Yale University. "Those who are overweight, however, tend to be preoccupied by it. They focus on how much or how often they eat, or attach labels like good and bad to certain foods. As a result, mealtime is always on the brain."

Here, weight loss experts explore the mysterious minds of the "naturally" slim. Learn what they do, what they don't, and how you can act the part.

1. They Choose Satisfied Over Stuffed
On a fullness scale of 1 to 10, the slim stop eating at a level of 6 or 7, says Jill Fleming, RD, author of Thin People Don't Clean Their Plates. The rest of us may keep going to an 8 or 10. Why? It may be because you mistakenly equate the sensation of fullness with satisfaction and feel deprived if you stop short, says Fleming. Or you may just be used to finishing what's in front of you, regardless of whether you really need it.

Copy Them: About halfway through your next meal, put your fork down and, using the 1 to 10 scale, rate your level of fullness. Do it again when you have about five bites left. The goal is to increase your awareness of how satisfied you feel during a meal. (Bonus: It also slows down your eating, which allows the sensation of fullness to settle in.)

2. They Realize Hunger Isn't An Emergency
Most of us who struggle with extra pounds tend to view hunger as a condition that needs to be cured--and fast, says Judith S. Beck, PhD, author of the new Beck Diet Solution. "If you fear hunger, you might routinely overeat to avoid it," she says. Thin people tolerate it because they know hunger pangs always come and go, buying them some time.

Copy Them: Pick a busy day to purposely delay lunch by an hour or two. Or try skipping an afternoon snack one day. You'll see that you can still function just fine. Then next time you feel those grumbles, you'll hold off before making a beeline for the fridge.

3. They Don't Use Food To Cure The Blues
It's not that thin women are immune to emotional eating, says Kara Gallagher, PhD, a weight loss expert based in Louisville. But they tend to recognize when they're doing it and stop.

Copy Them: Add the word 'Halt' to your vocabulary, says Gallagher. More than just a command (as in stop eating that entire sleeve of cookies), it's an acronym that stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired--the four most common triggers for emotional eating.

If you're truly hungry, choose a balanced snack, such as a handful of nuts, to tide you over until your next meal. But if you're angry, lonely, or tired, seek an alternative calorie-free solution to your emotional need. Blow off steam by going for a run or just jumping around--the heartbeat boost will help dissipate your anger. Lonely? Call a friend, e-mail your kid, or walk to the park or mall. Being around others will make you feel more connected to your community (even if you don't bump into anyone you know). If you're tired, for heaven's sake, sleep!

4. They Eat More Fruit
Lean people, on average, have one more serving of fruit and eat more fiber and less fat per day than overweight people, reports a 2006 study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

Copy Them: Start tinkering. Examine your diet for ways to add whole fruits (not juices) to your meals and snacks. Aim for two or three servings per day. Sprinkle berries in your cereal or on your yogurt. Add sliced pears to your turkey sandwich, or bake an apple for dessert. Keep a bowl of fruit on your kitchen table or desk to motivate you to think fruit first, vending machine never.

5. They're Creatures Of Habit
Any dietitian will tell you that a varied diet is good--but too much variety can backfire, says Katz, author of The Flavor Point Diet. Studies have shown that too many tastes and textures encourage you to overeat, he explains. "Thin people have what I call a food groove--the majority of their meals consist of well-planned staples," says Beck. "There are a few surprises thrown in, but for the most part, their diets are fairly predictable."

Copy Them: Try to be as consistent as possible with your major meals--have cereal for breakfast, a salad at lunch, and so forth. It's okay to add grilled chicken to the salad one day and tuna the next, but by sticking to a loosely prescribed meal schedule, you limit the opportunities to overindulge.

6. They Have A Self-Control Gene
Researchers at Tufts University found that the biggest predictor of weight gain among women in their 50s and 60s was their level of disinhibition, or unrestrained behavior. Women with low disinhibition (in other words, a finely tuned sense of restraint) had the lowest body mass index. High disinhibition (i.e., low restraint) was linked to an adult weight gain of as much as 33 pounds.

Copy Them: Prepare for moments when your disinhibition is likely to be higher--such as when you're in a festive atmosphere with a large group of friends. If you're at a party, tell yourself you'll take one of every fourth passed hors d'oeuvre. If you're out at dinner, order an appetizer portion and share dessert. Or if you're stressed--another low-restraint moment--make sure you have a source of crunchy snacks (like fruit or carrot sticks) at the ready.

7. They're Movers And Shakers
On average, slim people are on their feet an extra 2 1/2 hours per day--which can help burn off 33 pounds a year, according to a study from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.

Copy Them: Try a reality check. Studies have shown that people often overestimate how active they really are, says Gallagher. Most people actually spend 16 to 20 hours a day just sitting. Wear a pedometer on an average day, and see how close you get to the recommended 10,000 steps. Your day should combine 30 minutes of structured exercise with a variety of healthy habits, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator or mopping the floor with extra vigor. To see how many calories your activities burn, see the exercise calculator at www.caloriecontrol.org.

8. They Sleep--Well
They snooze 2 more hours per week, compared with overweight people, says a study from Eastern Virginia Medical School. Researchers theorize that a lack of shut-eye is linked to lower levels of appetite-suppressing hormones like leptin and higher levels of the appetite-boosting hormone ghrelin.

Copy Them: Break it down: Two extra hours of sleep a week is only 17 more minutes a day--a lot more manageable, even for the most packed of schedules. Start there and slowly work toward 8 hours of snooze time a night--the right amount for most adults.

Quick Tip
Eat breakfast! 78% of successful dieters do it every day, according to the National Weight Control Registry, A database of more than 5,000 people who've lost more than 30 pounds and kept the weight off for at least a year
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #15  

My dh is doing a lot better...eating me out of house and home. Got up in the night for a sandwich! I made some pretty good chicken last night (you all probably know this one but thought I'd share anyway) - I marinated boneless chicken breasts in light ranch dressing overnight. Then I mixed up 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons of parmesean cheese and coated the breasts. Spray a baking sheet with Pam, put the chicken on it. Baked at 425 degrees for 25 minutes. We had asparagus and rice with it and strawberries for dessert.

We got to go to dialysis at 5 on Monday and they already called for us to come in at 5 today so I'm really hoping we'll get this slot permanently. They are giving my husband a drug that is more potent than Procrit so I have to stop giving him that at home (thank you, God, I hated having to stick him).

Faye, I now have enough yarn to make 7 pairs of socks - so I guess I better get knitting. They are so wonderful - pricey but when you consider how some are hand dyed to get them to knit up in the patterns and strips, not bad. It just amazes me how the strips are perfectly aligned.

I'm down to 148 now...I never thought I'd see the 140s again. Exercise and Curves diet are working well for me - plus the diet restrictions at home.
Jean, enjoy your time off!