Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #1  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Default Water, water, water!!

What do you count as water? Is it ONLY the regular water that you drink, or do you count things like Crystal Light? For so long I only drank plain water, but my taste buds are telling me they want a bit of variety. I love water with lemon and a bit of sweet 'n low mixed in. Crystal Light is fabulous! Flavored waters are a nice change of pace. The other day I was FREEZING in my classroom so I tracked down a caffeine free tea bag (I don't do coffee, ick!) but did add some sweet 'n low to it. Now, in addition to these, I am still having at least 32 oz. of plain water a day. Is this ok, or do I need 64+ oz. of just regular old water? Your opinions, please!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

The recent research indicates that for purposes of hydration, all liquids count in your water intake, and don't forget the water in a lot of our food. Previously, we were told not to count caffeinated beverages because they are diuretics, but the evidence shows that even with these, there is a net gain of hydration after you drink a caffeinated drink.

However, some people may be trying to cutback sweeteners, even the low calorie artificial sweeteners and may choose to try to drink more 'real water' or tea because of that.

Personally, I don't track my water/liquid. I do think it's important to stay hydrated, but I track so many other things and that's just not as high on my priorities.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

I have heard the same Wyllenn that anything that all liquids that are used for the purposes of hydration count as part of your daily "water".

I tend to stick with "natural" water. I find I do best when I buy bottled water in large quantities and make sure there is one on my desk every morning at work. Then, I refill it throughout the day. I've also enjoyed seltzer waters with a slice of lemon or lime in the glass. One of my favorite waters, though incrediby expensive and a special treat when I can find it, is Hint water (www.drinkhint.com). I've only been able to find twice. It is the yummiest fruit infused water ever. No sweeteners, no calories, but the fruit is ever so slightly evident. I hope, eventually, it is more accessible in regular stores.
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #4  
Kelly M

Thanks for the input, ladies! I know I use a little more artificial sweetener than I probably should, but I do stay away from caffeine. Once I weened myself off of it, I didn't miss it at all. I'll just keep drinking the liquids!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #5  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with the above answers - all liquid counts (though caffeine is counter productive for most people, as it can cause dehydration). It sounds like your intake is good, and if the artificial sweeteners are minimal (and I have read that Sweet-N-Low is actually the safest of all artificial sweeteners because the saccharin in it is very minimal), then it is probably of no consequence.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #6  

Ritzyfritz -- Just wondering if you had any updated info on caffeine and dehydration.

I've read that "they" used to think caffeine was a problem, but the recent evidence indicates that caffeine does not cause dehydration. When we drink caffeinated beverages, overall we increase our level of hydration.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #7  
Losin' it forever!

I really, really, really tried to last week to drink just plain ole water, but I have to admit, I hate it and because of that, I don't get nearly enough fluids in each day. So, I switched to those little Crystal Light tea to go packets. So far today, I'm on my second quart of water mixed with the packets. Still not enough, but way better than I was doing last week with the plain water.
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

http://www.beverageinstitute.org/hea...feine_qa.shtml

Some information on hydration levels and caffeine for those who are interested.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #9  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
Ritzyfritz -- Just wondering if you had any updated info on caffeine and dehydration.

I've read that "they" used to think caffeine was a problem, but the recent evidence indicates that caffeine does not cause dehydration. When we drink caffeinated beverages, overall we increase our level of hydration.
Hi, wyllenn! I am a medical transcriptionist for reknown cardiac doctors who tell all their patients to NOT drink caffeinated beverages due to the extra work on the kidneys to excrete fluid due to the stimulant effect of the caffeine. I did a quick Google search just now for you, and the two below links give some very good information on this as well. These resources go right along with what I hear the doctors dictate all the time.

http://www.villanova.edu/studentlife...e=caffeine.htm

http://uimc.discoveryhospital.com/main.php?id=1877

I hope this is a help to you and everyone else.

While I'm sure infrequent small amounts of caffeine will not have a major negative effect, I have personally transcribed documents where quitting caffeine was a must for the patient to live. I have never heard the doctors dictate they must quit drinking water to live.

As with every other bit of things we read and hear, you have to just ponder the resources available to you and then make a decision for yourself. I tend to think that caffeine has more of an ill effect other than the excess work on the kidneys, but again, I have done my own studying and make that decision for myself. I also feel that drinking pure water is what was meant for our bodies when the good Lord created them, and this closes the caffeine argument for me.

Here's wishing you all a very healthy journey!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #10  

Thanks for the links mandalinn and ritzyfritz. As a psychologist and teacher of research design courses I'm very interested in research issues. I keep hearing about the new research which contradicts the previously held beliefs about caffeine and really liked the link mandalinn posted with links to some of the research on the newer findings. I especially liked the interview with the researcher where she tries to put this new information in context.

I will be interested to watch what other professionals (including doctors) have to say about the issue as the research gets further disseminated.

I am sure that for some people drinking a lot of caffeine can have negative effects, and I agree with ritzyfritz that drinking water can't hurt. But if the question is whether caffeine is dehydrating, recent evidence seems to contradict that long-held belief, which was based on research from which people seem to have overgeneralized.

Sorry if I hijacked your original thread, Kelly. This has been very informative for me, at least!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #11  
Kelly M

No problem, Wyllenn! You know, I acutally didn't realize how bad my old habits were. Yes, I know I was way up there in the obese category, but I mean as far as my liquids were concerned. I've never drank a whole lot of soda because I much prefer fountain soda to bottled or canned, but iced tea? That's a whole different issue! My day started and ended with huge glasses of iced tea. I probably drank a half gallon of it myself daily, and it was sweetened with SUGAR! When I stopped drinking it it was because I wasn't willing to spend the WW points on the sugar, and because I knew they wanted me to focus on water. I cannot imagine how much caffeine I poured into my body on a daily basis. I've never liked coffee, but tea was my fuel of choice when my feet hit the floor in the morning. Now I grab a glass of water when I get up. These changes certainly include more than just weight loss!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:53 AM   #12  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterswife View Post
... Now I grab a glass of water when I get up. These changes certainly include more than just weight loss!
I agree, and this is the main reason I think caffeine-free is the best way to go! This is the best thing for me, anyway.

Good luck to ya! I think you are doing great. Keep it up!!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #13  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

What about milk? Does anyone have any ideas about that?
I know it has fat (although you can get the low fat kind), but I've also heard that even drinking whole milk is good in moderation.
I've done no research on it, but I do drink some milk. I do it more for the love of my bones!! I don't like taking too many chemical supplements.

I'd like your opinion!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #14  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
What about milk? Does anyone have any ideas about that?
I know it has fat (although you can get the low fat kind), but I've also heard that even drinking whole milk is good in moderation.
I've done no research on it, but I do drink some milk. I do it more for the love of my bones!! I don't like taking too many chemical supplements.

I'd like your opinion!
My family has gone from drinking cows milk to organic rice milk due to the Bovine growth hormone injected into cows. We found a lot of books at the library on this subject, so you may want to look there as well if you have a chance. We think the rice milk tastes great. However, to answer your question, it would count toward your liquid intake.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #15  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

The hormones are one of the reasons why I drink organic cow's milk. Although I believe some larger brands are now placing labels on their milk that say that they don't use hormones.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote