Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 12:36 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#134

WELCOME

We are a group of people who are working together to lose our excess weight.
We are on different plans and are of different sizes.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts
Old 02-17-2002, 01:29 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Part 1

Hi everyone! Happy Sunday! Hope you don't mind me starting the new thread. I know we weren't quit to 30 posts, but with 2cute not being here and the rest of you guys being scare-di-cats I figured I would go ahead and do it. BTW, it's really easy, just copy and paste an old message if you don't want to make up something on your own.

Went out last night to dinner, Italian, didn't do well, didn't try to do well! Then went to the movies and saw A Beautiful Mind. It was pretty interesting if not a little slow. It was a really good story about overcoming obstacles, in my opinion.

I have to go out and do an audit this afternoon while the guys are couch potatoes and watch the Daytona 500! I'm not a football widow, but I'm definately a NASCAR widow! How exciting can turning left for 500 miles really be?????

Katrina: 57 degrees! Woohoo! Spring has come to NJ! Go out and enjoy the day! * Let us know how the trip to the gym goes.

LuckyLadyBug: I confess, I didn't actually ever make the Snickers dessert, I stole it from another thread.....but it sounded good!
I think there's something to the coffee in the morning....heck, caffeine in general. My WW leader says caffeine is an appetite stimulant, so it would stand to reason that if you drink coffee in the morning, you would have morning cravings. Who'd have thought????

Andria: I'm glad you guys are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It has been a rough year for you guys and I'm sure that getting back on financial track will surely help. [[[hugs]]]

Susie: You done good, girl! Keep it up and you'll back with it in no time!

Malia: So sorry to hear about your co-worker. That must be really awful! * I like the rose under your name, it looks like it's blooming! * You say "get a life" after 200 posts, let's talk after 1000!!!

Valerie: That new computer sounds like fun. You'll be playing with that for a long time. Make sure to visit dottisweightlosszone.com too. Lots of great stuff there!

Mary: I'm glad you got to see the girls. It's too bad about the circumstances, but I'm sure that you enjoyed the visit regardless!

2cute: Hope the silly string was fun! Also hope your dad is doing well. Keep us posted when you can. [[[HUGS]]]
Old 02-17-2002, 01:31 PM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Part 2

Sorry, it wouldn't let me be so loooooong winded in one post!

Well girls, for Soup or Salad Sunday I found my wonderful carrot cake recipe. This is sooooo yummy! Yeah, like what we all need is some more dessert recipes. But I think it's nice to have a couple of good cake recipes for when birthdays roll around. Sorry this is too late for Mary and 2cute, but maybe someone else can use it.

Carrot-Pineapple Cake
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cans (8 oz. each) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1/4 cup skim milk
4 egg whites, lightly beaten (or 1/2 cup FF egg substitute)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups (packed) grated carrots (about 5 medium)
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Cream Cheese Icing
8 oz. nonfat or reduced-fat cream cheese
1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl and stir to mix well. Stir in the pineapple, including the juice and the milk, egg whites and vanilla extract. Fold in carrots and the pecans if desired.

2. Coat a 9x13 inch pan with non stick cooking spray. Spread the batter evenly in the pan and bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool to room temperature.

3. To make the icing, combine all of the icing ingredients in a food processor, and process until smooth. Spread the icing over the cake and serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Makes 16 servings. 4 WW points per serving.
Nutritional info per serving: 215 calories, 0.3g fat, 7.7g protein, 3mg cholesterol, 1.4g fiber, 268mg sodium.
Points and nutritional facts are based on using the non-fat ingredients instead of the reduced fat ingredients.

Have a wonderful Sunday, you guys. We'll talk later.

"To say something nice about themselves, this is the hardest thing in the world for people to do. They'd rather take their clothes off." - Nancy Friday
Old 02-17-2002, 02:24 PM   #4  

Stumbled on this while surfing this morning. I thought it might help us get and/or stay motivated.

Just a little exercise goes a long way toward more energy, a great appearance and better health. Not to mention a longer life. "Three hours of life can be gained for every hour spent exercising," says Walter Bortz, M.D., author of Dare to Be 100 (Simon and Schuster, 1996).

First and foremost: "Exercise is the most effective anti-aging pill ever discovered," says the National Institutes of Health.
Working out can make you feel good, look great, and help recharge your libido. I know Thin with the water filled upper body and 2Cute with the silly string don’t need any recharging here.
For many people, the benefits of exercise remedy some of the health damage associated with smoking, high blood pressure, and high blood sugar.

I guess it worked....I did Yoga for 20 min, TaeBo for 8 Min, and walked for 30 min AND it's only 1:19PM!!!!!
Old 02-17-2002, 09:23 PM   #5  
You and Me in 2003

Angry

Hello all. here is the recipe for the Better than Sex Dessert

Crust:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup maragine low fat

combine flour pecans and butter till crumbly. Press into a 9x13 pan and bake at 300 for 30 min.

cream cheese layer
2 8oz. pkg. fat free cream cheese
1/2 large container fat free cool whip
sweetner to taste I left that out

mix well and spread over baked crust

pudding layer
1small pkg. choc pudding fat free
1 small pkg vanilla fat free pudding
3 cups fat free milk
mix together spread over cheese layer.
Top with remainder of cool whp chill.

I do not know the points but it is real good. They loved it at church.

Today went well for food.

I'll see all of you tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:32 AM   #6  

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your words support. After I finished posting here, I checked out the local dating websites. Soon I was distracted and slept pretty well. I woke up to a beautiful day. Went to church and made wise eating choices. Tradeoff salad for lunch, for a dinner out. Great feeling to be in control. Tomorrow, I hope to achieve a three star day. Exercise, water, and OP. I've just finished watching icedancing and the gold medal award ceremony for the Canadian pairs.

I'm reading the complete idiot's guide to losing weight. Here's an excerpt:

The least you need to know
>Your goal is not to be like someone else but to reach your own personal weight.
>No matter how many times you've tried before, you can lose weight now.
>To lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you can consume.
>Learning about good food and nutrition can help you lose weight and keep it off.
>Some people lose weight faster and easier than others, but there's a weight-control solution for everyone.

Here's to a good night's sleep and exercise first thing.

Goodnight,
Malia
Old 02-18-2002, 08:01 AM   #7  

Malia: Happy to read you are feeling better. Thanks for the quote from your book.

Motivational Monday:
" My interest is in the future; As I'm going to be spending the rest of my life there."

This is sure "food" for thought. I certainly don't wany my future to include being at this weight so ...... As much as I believe in living in the moment, I had better keep an eye on the future to help me stay motivated.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:19 AM   #8  
Dancing those pounds away

Hi guys
I have not been able to read any of this or the last thread.
I am walking out the door again.
As you know... my dad was put in the hospital Thursday. What you don't know is my mom was put into a different hospital Friday.
I am on my way to Missouri to take my dad home today. Hopefully mom will get to come home by Wed.
Just wanted to check in with you. My food has been AWFUL.
And NO it is NOT okay. I am suppose to be establishing a new way of life. One that does not include the mentality of "I will eat today and start again tomorrow". That has NEVER worked in the past... and it won't work in the future either.

If I am going to ever have long term recovery... long term new life style... I have got to CHANGE. It has been a longggg time since I ate in such a manner. And I do NOT like it!!!!!

Enough griping... time to stop whining and start getting myself back into recovery. See all of you in a few days.
DO NOT CHEAT ...It is NOT worth it !!!!

I am out of here.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:39 AM   #9  
a work in progress...

I just did it again...obliterated my post...I had written a novel, when all of a sudden, noticing the dusty condition my keyboard, I wiped my sleeve over it...*POOF!* the post was gone...aah, it's probably for the best...

I had a great day yesterday, food-wise, water-wise, even exercise-wise. I never did make it to the gym, but as the sun was setting, I thought this is a perfect time for a walk and did just that. I walked for about 40 minutes, and it was great, I just kept walking toward the setting sun and sky, all ablaze in pink and purple and orange, when it was gone, I turned back. I felt wonderful afterwards! Today will be a good day too. Our lovely spring-like weather has vanished, though. Today is a chilly 31 degrees. At least the sun is shining!

I'm off...see you later. I'll leave you with this thought...

The conflict between what one is and who one is expected to be touches all of us. And sometimes, rather than reach for what one could be, we choose the comfort of the failed role, preferring to be the victim of circumstance, the person who didn't have a chance. ~~Merle Shain

I think that I'd like to try reaching, for a change...instead of being the victim, who's with me?
Old 02-18-2002, 04:40 PM   #10  
a work in progress...

Me again...

I am taking a break from writing a book report...well, assisting in the writing of one...*&@%$#~(* I'm going to pull the hair out of my head if I don't get out of this house soon! I'm just waiting for dh to get back from some errands so I can get out and get some fresh air and take a L*O*N*G walk...

On the lighter side...I made Pistachio Fluff as per TT's recipe, good thing the points are so low...I may need to put a hurtin' on that later!! I also made a version of "0 point Soup" for lunch...added some beans for some protein, so it was about 1/2 point per serving. Frustration will NOT make me cheat! (Not today anyway!)

OK, back to the "Tale of the Shimmering Shell"

I love my son, I love my son, I love my son....................
Old 02-18-2002, 05:34 PM   #11  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

Have you ever been able to feel yourself coming out of a slump? I'm not sure if it is the walking or dh getting a second job, but I've sure been coming out of mine. This morning I woke up and instead of crying at the snow outside (yes, it was snowing!) and the fact that our family picnic idea was spoiled, I started working on some household projects. Things get so cluttered when I'm in a funk. It feels so good to be getting the cobwebs cleared out of my brain and my life at the same time!

Food is being good. It is easier when you are broke and aren't buying junk food or treats. My walking is also improving. I've already walked my mile for the day, and I noticed it was easier than last Monday when I started the full mile. I'll add the half mile before dinner tonight. Keeping this schedule up, I'll have walked 28.5 miles before the end of the month. The little number cruncher in me was thinking it would be fun to figure out how many miles I need to walk at my current speed to lose a pound. Yes, I'm an odd one!

My break from house cleaning is getting a tad long. I'd better get back to it while the motivation is still strong. I can hardly believe what a disaster this place is!

Andria
Old 02-18-2002, 07:11 PM   #12  

Kat: I will join you in not being a victim. Yesterday was good and I exercised. Today my alarm didn't go off so I couldn't do my planned exercise but I didn't let it get me down. I decided "things like this will always happen in life just stay on program". So, I planned to exercise as soon as I got home. I had a tiring, ucky day but talked to myself all the way home and feel better. I also changed from exercising right away when I got home to doing it a little later. Good thing I did because one of nephews is coming over to use my computer for awhile.

I will report my exercise to you later because I will be doing it.

It's over 50 and raining here in Minnesota....

Quote:
I love my son, I love my son, I love my son....................
Had to laugh at this one!!!

Andria Good for you having your walk done already. I have decided to walk one mile a day too. I usually plan 3 or 4 miles and when that takes to long and too much time out of my day I quit so baby steps....

2Cute I hope your folks are or will be okay. Don't worry you have us and will be establishing your new life in no time. In the mean time, we are here to listen and help you whine!!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 09:11 PM   #13  
You and Me in 2003

Evening all Sorry I haven't been here today. I helped do some paintint at the library. We are getting new carpet and some other things. I am sore all over from stooping and bending. We ordered pizza for lunch but all the excercise hopefully helped with it.

2 cute hope your Mom and Dad are doing better.
Where is everyone else
Old 02-19-2002, 07:49 AM   #14  
You and Me in 2003

Arrow

Tuesday Tip
DO NOT let your husband buy girl scott cookies

I have to go back to the library and help paint today. It sure looks brighter but boy I can feel it i my bones.

Has anyone ever tried the WW Ice cream sandwiches? I got some Sat. got the Choc. They are wonderful.

Well I have to get a shower and eat breakfast. Hope all of my buddies come back soon.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:07 AM   #15  

Well, I did it....I got up at 5:30 and did 1/2 hour of yoga and 8Min Taebo.

My schedule is so goofy it's hard to get a routine. Tomorrow I have to go into work an hour early and I just don't think I will get up at 4 or 4:15 to exercise. This doesn't happen every week but a few times a month I have to go in early for meetings.

I have been contemplating doing my exercising as an average for the week. Some days I may do less and some days more but at the end of the week it would all add up to the same as if I did it each day. Did that make sense? It may be too early to be trying to write this!

Of course, my goal is to exercise each day but rather than having some days, because of my schedule, fall by the way side with this plan I would still be keeping in mind that I have to do more exercise some days.

Tuesday Tip:
Don't feel guilty
GUILT. For a woman, it's a lifelong companion.
Our husbands make us feel guilty
Our kids make us feel guilty
Our moms make us feel guilty
Our mothers-in-law make us feel guilty
Just about everyone makes us feel guilty about SOMETHING.
No wonder we reach for the cookies.
No wonder we forget about ourselves.
No wonder we get fat.
A new approach
Say No to guilt.
How?
By pretending you're not perfect.
Because the ONLY thing that keeps making us feel guilty
is the idea that we must be perfect.
Closed Thread