Old 03-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Eating Out - Making good choices

Today I didn't bring my lunch - just wasn't in the mood for another Turkey Sandwich. Thought I'd just grab something.

When it came time, I decided on Wendy's grilled Chicken Sandwich plain. Good choice, yes. But an even better choice was a side salad with a small chili. Less calories, more fiber and yummy! That's what I got and I am full and satisfied (which is the whole point)

I can't help but eat out sometimes. My lifestyle demands it and sometimes I just like to.

What are your best fast food finds??
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

McDonald's Asian Chicken Salad. I order it without dressing and then cut up the chicken into pieces, put the lid back on, and shake. The glaze on the chicken then gets all over the salad and you don't need any dressing.

The McDonald's snack size fruit and yogurt parfait is a great treat for a quick breakfast too.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Subway. Sorry, I know it's another turkey sandwich but it is the only fast food I'll allow myself.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #4  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Oh, I love Wendy's Chili. When I was on the Zone, it was the perfect Zone meal. I still follow some of the principles of the Zone, so it's perfect.

I recently tried the McD's grilled chicken snack wrap. It was pretty good, but maybe not so filling. They used to have this Fiesta salad which I loved, but sadly it's gone. In the mornings, sometimes I'll grab an Egg McMuffin. A little higher in fat than what I'd like, but it beats some other breakfast sandwiches by a long shot.

I'll have to try that Asian salad. Thanks for the tip Cassi!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #5  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I don't eat fast food (unless you count Subway, but I don't because there isn't a drivethru).

I do eat at other sit down type places. Applebees, breakfast places, Bob Evans. What I try to do is get something that I can alter the ingredients if need be (if I order off of WW menu at Applebees, I'm fine). At Bob Evans, I'll get the Cobb salad with a little cheese, no bleu cheese, no bacon, give DH half of the egg and use vinegar for the dressing. Oh, and no bread. At a local breakfast place, I'll get egg whites (or egg beaters), dry wheat toast, oatmeal, whatever strikes my fancy that morning.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

There are a lot of quick food choices that aren't traditional "fast" food. Where I live, there are a lot of teriyaki and sushi places, always good for some grilled salmon and rice or veggie sushi/fresh springrolls. A lot of grocery stores (especially Whole Foods) have great salad bars. I also like Qdoba/Chipotle - a burrito in a bowl (I skip the 400 calorie tortilla) with black beans, rice, romaine and salsa is one of my favorites. I'm also a fan of Subway if I need something quick.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with both Subway and Chipotle (had Chipotle for lunch today, in fact! although I DID get the burrito, and now my tummy is paying for it--definitely going to bol it next time).

I used to LOVE Wendy's chicken BLT salad, thinking it had to be better than so many other things. Too bad I wasn't quite a calorie-counting pro yet and didn't add up the bacon, cheese, honey mustard dressing...

I LOVE that Wendy's will let you get a side salad instead of fries with a meal--that really helps. And I agree that their chili is very good. I also like to get their chili and a plain baked potato and pour some of my chili on the potato--this is especially good, IMO, when it's cold or gloomy out. I prefer salads in warmer weather.

The grocery store right near my office has an awesome salad bar including grilled chicken (I've seen a lot of salad bars that don't offer much besides sandiwch-like meat or chopped bacon for meats). They also have dressing in packets in case you don't want to pour their dressings on it, which is nice (and they have a fat free honey dijon dressing that is very honey mustard-like--perfect for me!).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One of my favorite things is half a burrito at Baja Fresh. DH and I will often share a burrito.

Today, I went to Red Robin and had a garden burger with no fries, salad on the side topped with salsa. It was really good. It wasn't the healthiest thing but it was pretty decent for eating out.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

Tonight I'm probably getting a chicken pita from Pita Pit, because I'll be out, and it'll be convenient. It's 444 calories, 33g protein, 3g fat, 70g carbs if I load it with veggies and skip the cheese, but add honey mustard dressing. If I just get regular mustard, it's only 380 calories. But my daily callories allow for it, and it's so filling!
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Good for you, Sandi!!

I'm like Jennylou and eat at sit-down places. I think I have bad associations with fast food places. I used to go to the drive-thru, order a bunch of stuff like I was placing an order to take home, then find a place to park and devour it all. Painful memories. . .
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylou View Post
I don't eat fast food (unless you count Subway, but I don't because there isn't a drivethru).
Hmmm, ours does have a drive-thru! However, it's WAY too slow to order that way for a sandwich they have to make....I always go in.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I love subway too! 6" oven roasted chicken breast with tons of veggies is amazing. I get the fat free honey mustard sauce instead of mayo, and I don't miss the mayo at all. Oh and no cheese - but I don't really like processed cheese anyways.

Oh and Extreme Pita - same as Pita Pit, grilled chicken w/ no cheese and tzatiki (sp??) sauce is about 380 cals. So good & filling.

Also, I like the salads from mcd's, I get the grilled chicken ceasar salad, it's 475 cals with 1/2 pack of the dressing. Quite a few calories but I definitely don't need a snack or anything, totally fills me up.

I'm the same, I try to plan and bring stuff from home but it's hard sometimes - and it's good that there ARE decent choices out there.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #13  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Fast foods are a once every two weeks or so meal now, but I still occasionally have to make the best choice possible there.

Wendy's Ceasar Side Salad (no croutons) and a small chili are one of my favorites.

Taco Bell - Refried Beans - fresco stye and Chicken soft taco - fresco style (hard to make a great choice here - but this is what I usually order)

Popeyes - naked chicken strips, green beans and a cajun rice (that bit is the splurge)

The only places to eat in our little tiny town are Subway and Sonic. For the life of me, I can't find ANYTHING suitable on the Sonic menu, so if I really don't want to cook and the family wants to eat out here in town, I eat Subway.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #14  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

My stepson John works at McDonalds - they will custom anything for you.
I get the side salad with the grilled chicken breast and dressing.. all that for 192 calories, 5 grams fat, 25 protein... all for $2! yahoo.
I will eat it like a snack - so I won't feel left out when I take the kids - mostly to play when we pick up John from work. I will also bring pretzels and a piece of fruit.

I also get fazoli's: sm whole wheat penne w/ chicken, broccoli and spicy marinara sauce... it's huge (they call it a small.. but it's big!!) 595 calories - which is a lot.. but for fast food... it's not. It's sooo good. 6.5 fat and 36 protein. It really is a great choice!

Subway.. 6" cheese steak... yumm-o! 360 calories 10 grams fat, 24 protein. I know that turkey would be better for me.. and I do get that. But... if I'm going out to eat.. and it doesn't happen that often.. I'm getting steak!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:44 AM   #15  
missaprylj

If anyone loves Noodles & Company, I discovered the Tuscan Fettuccine... and it is SO DELICIOUS. And by far the "best" thing on their menu weight-loss wise. And the fettucinne is WHOLE WHEAT! (I know, I was *that* excited, too.)

WHOLE GRAIN TUSCAN FETTUCCINE
Whole grain fettuccine, broccoli, mushroom, onion and sweet red pepper julienne glazed with roasted garlic, balsamic and a touch of fresh cream. Parmesan and parsley garnish.
500 calories 17g of fat (a bit high, but very filling and only 4 are saturated,0 trans) and the best part: 13g fiber (52%!) and 21g protein

It's soooo nice to have something to eat when my friends are getting the Wisconsin Mac & Cheese! 1000 calories, 44g of fat!! AHHHH.