Old 03-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/220/125

Height: 5'4"

Default I Really Want A Donut!!!

Hi this is kandice
I am about to give in to temptation. My mom just came back from the bakery with fresh hot donuts. MY WEAKNESS. Someone talk me out of it and tell me why it would be a bad idea to binge on something that I haven't had in two months. I'm doing so good, but I am afraid I might eat one and not stop. Help me. PLEASE!!!!!:

Last edited by kanel; 03-28-2007 at 12:40 PM.
kanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

STOP! Don't eat the donut. Seriously, you'll really regret it. Any chance you could just leave the house?

Why in the world would your mom bring home your favorite food like that? I swear! Sometimes people are just so inconsiderate!

I know it's hard...just stay away from them and you'll feel so empowered later on. Next time it will be easier!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #3  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

My advice is going to be very different, and as I'm new to the community I'm desperately hoping it won't be seen as destructive.

I think you should have a donut. Wait until you are actually hungry for a snack, get youself a pretty plate and a glass of milk, and sit down at the table and slowly savour and truly enjoy what is one of your favourite foods. Pay careful attention to how your body feels as you eat it. You may even surprise yourself, and not want to finish it completely.

In my 25+ years of dieting myself up to 400 pounds, I've come to the conclusion that it's the deprivation and guilt that ruins us and our efforts. The 'forbidden' foods and the all or nothing mentality. A single donut will not ruin your efforts today, or any other day. Naturally thin people eat donuts sometimes. So should you.

Knowing I can have a guilt free donut (or chocolate, or bagel or whatever) whenever I want, and that when I listen to my body it will tell me that I really don't want more than one (or part of one) has freed me significantly from obsession with food and has resulted in a 60+ pound and counting weight loss.
MetaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Meta - that would have been my response, too, if the donut had been her idea....her craving. She is responding to someone else's influence and I think that is where the danger lies...at least for me. However, we're all different....that's why we have so many people here losing weight in so many different ways!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Seriously... leave the house now. Go for a walk.. even 5 minutes.

Did your Mom buy the donuts for you? or are they for her? How many are we talking about? - a dozen donuts for a family of 4 is just not wise.

Talk to your mom about how much staying on plan is hard when there are donuts in the house. She is your Mom - so she does make the rules. Ask if she wants them if can be eaten not around you.

Tell her you really need her support.

All the best.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #6  

Hot fat and sugar - that's really all it is. Do you really want to eat THAT? *blech*

OK, OK....I know that it isn't REALLY that easy. But ask yourself, what do you want MORE - a doughnut (momentary pleasure), or to go to sleep tonight confident in the knowledge that you're really making positive changes for yourself (long-term happy feelings and empowerment)? You're on your way - well on your way - and this is an obstacle just like any other. One doughnut doesn't hold a lot of power in and of itself....but it's what that one doughnut can lead to that's the problem. Only you know yourself - can you stop at one, or even just a bite or two? Or is there just no way, and this particular food falls under the "avoid at all costs" category? Be honest with yourself - only you can decide if there is a place for a doughnut in your life right now.

At times like these I remind myself, though, not to allow what I want right NOW to overshadow what I want MOST. A doughnut might taste great, but that pleasure is fleeting, and CAN come at a price. For myself, it would be a slippery slope, and I'm doing too well and feeling too proud of my success these days to let a doughnut in and mess with that!

Last edited by sugarlove; 03-28-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: clarification
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #7  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

Hey Royalsfan- thanks for your post (and for not being mad at me! ). There are rewards in both choices - leaving the house or otherwise staying 'strong', or learning to trust ourselves and the inherent wisdom of our own bodies in all kinds of 'food situations' in or out of our control.

The only truly poor outcome to this dilemma would be the emotional or functional equivalent of standing over the box of donuts and cramming one or more into her mouth and feeling like an utter failure. That's what I could never keep out of my diets in the past over the long haul. That for me was the danger.

Kanel, we're all rooting for you! Here's crossing my fingers that your choice today is one that makes you feel great about the day and about yourself.
MetaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #8  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi kandice!

Since I'm TRYING to come up with a plan that will work for THE REST OF MY LIFE I have to say that if you REALLY want the donut, eat it and then adjust your food plan accordingly to include it. Several weeks ago I had a piece of Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. I incorporated it into my 1500 calorie food plan for the day. That meant I had IT for my entree at dinner, but I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT! I haven't had chocolate (one of my triggers) since, and have been fine. It proved to me that I COULD do this. I doubt if I would forego a regular dinner in place of cheesecake again, but I had to find out for myself.

I think we are different places at different times as we lose our weight. Things that would drive us crazy at one stage hardly bother us at all at another stage.

Sometimes if I deprive myself of something at one time, it causes me to overcompensate later on. What stage are YOU in, and how important IS the donut to you?

I try to decide how important something really is. The other day at Subway I had mine turned into a salad with no dressing and no bread but bought an oatmeal cookie. I stayed actually under my calorie plan for the day yet thoroughly enjoyed that cookie, too!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 228/178/172

Height: 5'-10"

Default It's one of those days for me too

I've been in meetings all day so far. The morning meeting had bagels and cream cheese, lunch was BBQ with dessert of cookies and brownies. I have resisted so far for one reason: This morning I finally broke through a 4 week stall and weighed in under 180 lbs - I am NOT going to wake up tomorrow back above 180. It's been tough, but so far so good.

I like what others have said though - if you want it and are willing to pay the price, then enjoy. If not, then realize the price is not worth the "pleasure".

Good luck.
Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #10  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Let me put this to you another way.. a donut is about 200 calories.. give or take. It would take, however 15 minutes of doing sit ups (at your weight) to burn that donut off.

It's up to you.. is that worth it? for some yes. For me, no.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #11  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Fried doughballs. Fried fat and flour doughballs. Fried fat, sugar, and flour doughballs. Greasy fried fat, sugar, and flour doughballs. Heavy, greasy fried fat, sugar, and flour doughballs. Nasty, heavy, greasy fried fat, sugar, and flour doughballs.

Does that help??

Helped me!! ha!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

OMG Walk away from the donut!. Donuts are a major problem for me. I could eat a dozen of them and still wouldn't be satisfied. Although I do believe if you crave something you should think about it and decide if you really want it. If you really do want it then you can a small bit. But I can't do that with donuts they are a trigger food for me. One of the hardest moments with my new lifestyle was not getting a punchiz on fat tuesday (if you don't know what they are they are donuts timed 10).

If it is not going to trigger you into a bing then maybe a donut wouldn't be the worst thing, you could plan it into your day, but if you are like me step away from the donut.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #13  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Eat the dounut, but only half and savor every bite

Last edited by CyberGypsy; 03-28-2007 at 06:20 PM.
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #14  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

By now that donut is gone - either you've eaten it, someone else has eaten it or it's in the trash - so my response is pretty moot. If I knew beyond a doubt that I could stop at one (and actually I can tell if I'm going to have a problem because I'm such an emotional eater) I would have walked away for 15-30 minutes and if after that point I still wanted the donut I would have eaten it.

So let us know...did you eat the donut?
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #15  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

I've been thinking about that donut, too! Gotta know what happened!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote