Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #1  
Vic

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4

Default Pickles? :)

OK you guys, this might be the most ridiculous question yet but how do you count a pickle? I LOVE pickles but I am guess that someone (DAN...the sodium police) is going to tell me they are too high in salt. For a snack I love sliced turkey with ff cream cheese and a pickle so someone please tell me they are a veggie!
Seagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #2  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

*chuckle*

Didn't you also ask about soup today? I hate to break it to you-but pickles (as well as canned soup-though I think you made homemade), are not on plan. Yep-the sodium. If you can't live without them-talk to your cod-maybe they have ideas for pickle fiends.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #3  
Vic

That WAS me with the soup...and you are right, I do make homemade. Although, yesterday I was sick as a dog and only had soup so did end up with a can of Muir Glen Tomato for dinner. Needless to say I was WAY off plan yesterday and am expecting to pay the price tomorrow at WI. I will ask them about pickles but just thought one of you might have a trick up your sleeve.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #4  
LAWL Salt Police

I thought you could have sliced pickles as a condiment.. Just like with the sliced jalepenos...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #5  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Maybe I'm wrong-I was thinking she was talking about kosher pickles (the big ones)-stuff like that . . . .I'm not really a pickle person so I don't pay too much attention to them-I remember a converstation here about them a long time ago-don't remember who was jonesing for pickles-but she was bummed she couldn't have them.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #6  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

According to the New Plan info provided to me by ??, the following counts as a one condiment (and you get three condiments a day)

1 T pickle relish
1 medium dill pickle
3/4 oz sweet pickles (gherkin)

The dill and sweet pickles contain higher levels of sodium and you are to choose in moderation.

This makes me want to quote the whole Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers thing.............
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #7  
Michelle on LAWL

Height: 5'0"

or... you could make your own pickles without the salt. you would count it as a vegetable according to size. there is a recipe for pickles in the LAWL cookbook.. but i dunno if we're allowed to share those recipes on here..
Wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #8  
Vic

Thank you, Joni! HA! I am a pickle girl but I will make sure to snack wisely on them and not too often.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #9  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

I would imagine that extra pickles, while not a good idea on a regular basis, would probably be offsetable with extra water when one does choose to indulge, since it's just a salty veggie, so you don't have to be too concerned about calories.
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/176/165

Height: 5'1'

Seems to me, when I first started last summer, my COD mentioned that a lot of pickles have high sugar content in addition to the sodium and was told basically not to have them. I'm a big pickle fan, but mostly homemade pickles: bread & butter, mustard, sweet pickles, hot dog relish etc. It drove me crazy to eat a bar-b-qued hamburger (no bun) without my mom's homemade relish. So if Joni's New Plan info is right, I'm going to stock up on a couple of bottles when I go visit at Easter.

The sugar-thing may not apply to dills, but some relishes and sweet pickles would obviously have a considerable amount.

Great question....hopefully someone will get a definite answer.
EastCoastF1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #11  
LAWL Salt Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
or... you could make your own pickles without the salt. you would count it as a vegetable according to size. there is a recipe for pickles in the LAWL cookbook.. but i dunno if we're allowed to share those recipes on here..
I don't see why not... It's easier to apologize than ask permission.. Besides, It's not like we're selling them.. Think of it as a way to promote all the great recipies in the cookbook and encourage others to buy it!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #12  
LAWL Salt Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagal View Post
OK you guys, this might be the most ridiculous question yet but how do you count a pickle? I LOVE pickles but I am guess that someone (DAN...the sodium police) is going to tell me they are too high in salt. For a snack I love sliced turkey with ff cream cheese and a pickle so someone please tell me they are a veggie!
Oh.. Sorry.. I missed the reference..

THEY'RE TOO HIGH IN SALT!!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #13  
Michelle on LAWL

Height: 5'0"

ok dan.. you've convinced me .. I haven't tried this yet.. but my COD assured me they were good... although i would personally use real garlic instead of powder. Happy pickle making!

serving size according to plan

LAWL Pickles

2 medium cucumbers, sliced or quartered.
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 t. dill
dash garlic powder

Combine cucumbers, water and vinegar in a sealable container. Add dill and garlic powder, toss to coat. Let stand at least 2 hours before serving.
Wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote