Old 03-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Sweet Potatoes!

Has anyone not discovered the joys of sweet potatoes? I hadn't tried one until about a year ago, when I decided to buy one and microwave it. I was hooked! Tried yams, too, but I don't like those at all. Anyway, I tried this recipe for sweet potatoes last night, and it was incredible so I thought I'd share the goodness.

Spicy Sweet Potatoes (from RecipeZaar; by Kymmarie)

4 servings
20 min. 5 min. prep

2 small sweet potatoes (3/4 lb)
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Peel potatoes and halve lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into 4 wedges. Place oil, salt and spices in ziptop bag and squish to combine. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Place potatoes in shallow baking pan and roast in lower third of oven, turning over halfway through roasting, until tender and browned, 15-20 minutes total.

68 kcal
1.2g fat
13.2g carb (2g fiber)
1 g protein

Enjoy!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have never tried them. They scare me. I even bought one once...never ate it.

Maybe this weekend I will expand my horizons.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I love sweet potatoes and Yams. Did you know that sweet potatoes and Yams actually belong to two different families of vegetables? That amazes me for some reason.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #4  

I LOVE sweet potatoes - but not sweet versions of them! I do something very similar to the recipe you posted, but tend to just toss in a lot of whatever sounds good - garlic powder is great, a good dose of cayenne, and they're delicious with a squeeze of fresh lime. I also like to bake them until they get toasty-brown at the edges....so good! They're nice and filling, too.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #5  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I love them too. I don't even need anything on them, except for maybe a little pat of Smart Balance.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

That recipe sounds really interesting! I'm working on expanding my veggie horizon. I've now roasted asparagus (like it ok) and made spaghetti squash (again...it was ok....I think I needed to cook it longer because it still had a sort of "crisp-tender" texture). So, I'm going to add these sweet potatoes to my menu next week. Are they anything like a spicy fry? Could you eat them with ketchup? I know that sounds really strange but I MISS dipping stuff in ketchup!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I love sweet potatoes. I cut 'em like fries and bake them sprayed with Pam then I put some Splenda and cinnamon on them. I know some don't even eat the fake sugars but I allow it on my plan. I love them so much!
penor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsfan1 View Post
That recipe sounds really interesting! I'm working on expanding my veggie horizon. I've now roasted asparagus (like it ok) and made spaghetti squash (again...it was ok....I think I needed to cook it longer because it still had a sort of "crisp-tender" texture). So, I'm going to add these sweet potatoes to my menu next week. Are they anything like a spicy fry? Could you eat them with ketchup? I know that sounds really strange but I MISS dipping stuff in ketchup!
They are like spicy fries, but the sweetness adds a delicious "something extra". You can definitely dip them in ketchup if you want - hot sauce is good, too, if you like it spicy!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #9  

I love sweet potatoes but always thought they were frowned upon in WW.

If you find they are to sweet, in the current issue of Weight Watchers there is a recipe for stuffed butternut squash. I found that they are VERY similar in taste and this recipe was yummy. Could do it with sweet potatoes to.
Liverpool Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Sweet potatoes aren't my favorite veggie, but I do buy them and eat them. I really would like different recipes for them. Right now all I do is bake them like a regular potato and then put a lot diet margarine and cinnamon on them. I tried roasting them with a little olive oil, but they didn't get crisp.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I have never tried them. They scare me. I even bought one once...never ate it.

Maybe this weekend I will expand my horizons.
Don't be scared of sweet potatoes, they really are sweet and delicious. I do love sweet potato fries, but I prefer them baked in the oven for an hour or so. The sugar in the skin almost turns to caramel and they are decadently sweet. I love to eat them plain. Maybe I'll have one for dinner tonight.

They are also a great source of vitamins! Nature's candy

http://209.196.51.230/ME2/dirmod.asp...8227E39&tier=2

Interesting fact - they shouldn't be refrigerated!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/232/150

Height: 5'6"

I've been looking for good recipes for sweet potatoes. I'm going to have to give this a try, it sounds yummy.
Beach Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default My two cents on Sweet Potatoes

Thanks for all the lovely ideas, ladies. Here is my contribution:

bake until really done and peel and smash. Add the zest of one orange, some freshly grated ginger, a little cinnamon all stirred together. then put in a casserole dish and top with some pecans and reheat.

Yumm..the original recipe for that is a South Beach (phase II, I think), and it calls for stirring in some milk and an egg yolk, but who needs that extra fat, and then you have to make sure the egg gets cooked. It is good, tho!
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

I cooked them differently yesterday, and I really liked this version (I LOVE them!!) I partially cooked them in the microwave, then took them out to the grill and put them off to the side of the grill while the meats cooked - then took them in and they had just a hint of the charcoaled flavoring - they were yummmmyy!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #15  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

I've never known what to do with them (especially in a healthy way). I tried a wicked awesome recipe for a casserole w/ them last Thanksgiving but that involved like a 10 lbs of white and brown sugar. Thanks for the recipe, I'll try it.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote