Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #1  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Biker Chicks Chat

Starting a new thread here. The outdoorsy types have started up a chat, but with the new thread, I thought we should invite spinners, too, or anybody on any kind of bike for that matter. Feel free to report your miles/time, ask a question, or just have a chat.

I'm still a newb, only up to 4 miles at a go right now, every other day. I chose cycling as a motivator, and I'm trying to work up to 30 miles (in one ride)/30 lbs down by my birthday (6/26) this year. There's a fun ride around that time, and my sister and I have signed up to do the 30 mile route. I'm taking it slow, but it seems to be working and is still fun to do.

Goal (mi/lbs): 30/30 by June 26
Current: 4/8
Today's ride: 4 miles

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #2  
mudbug

S/C/G: 232/215/160

Height: 5'9

hello jamsk8r,
Thanks for the welcome! Sounds like your on your way to meeting your weight loss and biking goals. It all starts with a plan! When I'm riding I feel
light and free as a feather, when I'm walking my hips and feet hurt,so I think
biking is the way for me to get my exercise in. GOT out today and rode 7mi
I think I could of done more if I drank more water, got a bit warm [82] and
dehydrated. I try to have something to eat 30 before...like a powerbar I
seem to be able to ride longer.

goal 20 mi rides

currant 7-8mi

today's 7
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #3  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Thanks for the tip on eating first, Mudbug. I will give that a try and see if it makes a difference on my next ride. Good luck to you, with your 20 mile ride goal! I fell off the wagon with my eating for about 10 days, because I ran low on funds to restock the good food, but I'm back on track now, and hoping to see the scale start moving down again this week. I can really tell the difference in how I feel when I'm eating right. Wish I'd figured this out about 80 lbs ago!

Cheryl
Old 03-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #4  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Hi "Biker" Chickies (I liked that name, Cheryl!)

It's always a good thing to fuel up with a little something if you're going on a long ride. If I go right away in the morning I might only grab a banana but always bring something else ww bread, scone, or protein bar to eat along the way if my energy really lags. Water is definitely an absolute must. You might even want to bring two water bottles on really hot days. There's nothing worse than having to cut a great ride short because you don't have enough water.

It's raining here now which means soon all the snow will be gone and I can get out on the trails. can't wait to join you all.

Happy biking!
Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #5  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonGirl View Post
Hi "Biker" Chickies (I liked that name, Cheryl!)
(snip)
It's raining here now which means soon all the snow will be gone and I can get out on the trails. can't wait to join you all.
We'll call it "biker chicks chat" next time, just for you, Beth! lol

I hope you'll have some snow-free trails soon!

Cheryl
Old 03-25-2007, 01:34 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I'll join the thread later on in the Spring when the weather here gets nicer... Today I thought, great it's Spring almost then tonight we had a mini blizard ...

I'm the moderator of the exercise forum if you want me to change the title of the thread now I can do it ... Just let me know ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:13 AM   #7  

Hi all-- I'd love to join the thread if you'll have me...

I bike all the time, in various combinations on a hybrid, a hardtail and a dual suspension bike. I also want a road bike, but I think my husband would kill me. WAY too many bike tires, chain lube, allen wrenches, pedals etc etc lying around in our garage. Nuts!

I'm from an area that's world famous for MTB trails, so I also do the MTB in full armour downhill and in the bike parks.

I actually bike with a group of 6- 16 women every weekend. We do cross country MTB usually on a hardtail. It's really good to get together with a bunch of other "mom-type" gearheads and discuss all kinds of things while getting exercise. If anyone's having trouble getting started in biking, it's a great way to build confidence and support.

Anyhow, I look forward to sharing bike stories with all of you! I bike all year around, except for right now. It's monsooning all weekend...
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #8  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Red face

Hehe, I think "Biker Chick Chats" would be a cute title!

I wanna join y'all, but will have to wait on getting a new wheel for my bike.

I've decided that riding my bike to the community center to do laps and then riding it back home would be a wonderful way to add variety to my Workout program.....I'm slowly becoming addicted! See what kind of influence you chicks have on me?! LOL!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

DH and I just purchased some hybrids Here is my Gary Fisher bike ... I'm so excited to try it out...
Old 03-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #10  
mudbug

S/C/G: 232/215/160

Height: 5'9

Cool

I always wanted to be called a biker chick . heehee. Had to mow the yard today so only got in 3 mi. today Plan to have a good ride tomorrow before some rain comes in. Everybody ride safe out there!
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:58 AM   #11  

Nice bike Ilene!! Nothing more motivating than a new bike. Enjoy!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:43 AM   #12  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Ilene, thanks for changing the title...I got a good laugh when I saw that tonight! That bike is bee-yoo-tiful!

Boarderchick, welcome! Your group sounds really great. My "roadbike" is a $20 ten speed, lol, but I'm loving it!

Diva, sorry to hear about your wheel. Hope you're back on the road soon. I think your idea of riding to the community center is a great one!

Mudbug, good job getting some riding in today. I didn't ride today, as I'm still going every other day, but will get out tomorrow. Just wanted to check in and see if we were getting any hits. Glad to see the thread taking off!

Cheryl
Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 140/133/125

Height: 5'6"

Hello!

I'm new to posting here, but have been lurking for about a week. I lost a few pounds last year when I was riding my bicycle to work a few times a week (6 miles each way, uphill on the way there, downhill on the way back). I had finally psyched myself up to start again this morning since the weather is finally warm without a chance of rain. I even woke up an hour earlier so I would have enough time. But as soon as I loaded up my rear rack and got on my bike I heard a strange sound. It turns out that my fender broke I know it's not a huge deal, but it left me a bit dejected. I didn't end up riding to work, but I'm hoping I can just take off the fender tonight and then be good to go tomorrow.

Anyway, I look forward to checking in with you all as a way to motivate myself to ride my bike more.
likestobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

likestobike
Old 03-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #15  

Well, I've been lurking as well, and might was well join you guys (chicks). I used to ride quite a bit and was in training for a 400-mile fundraising ride when I hurt my back. Now four years later after rehabbing, etc., I'm riding again, but on a recumbent so that there's no stress on my back. Actually I call it tootling, not riding. Thankfully I live in Florida so I don't have hills to deal with. Haven't figured out how to get uphill on my recumbent other than just spinning in a low gear. Can't get up out of the saddle and climb like on a road bike. But I'm loving it as much as ever after. Nothing like getting around on an HPV. I'm in on setting April goals!!
harcrashley is offline   Reply With Quote