Old 03-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Default what made you stick to your diet this time?

i know we've all said at one time or another that we are going to lose the weight, that this is the day ect but always manage to forget after a few weeks and continue the vicious cycle with no results. my question for all of you is, what made it different this time? why did you really stick to it this time without looking back?
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #2  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Most of the stressful things in my life had calmed down (financial issues, house buying, relationship stress) and I found a plan that I know I could do long term.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I ask myself this sometimes. I think I just finally got sick and tired of being morbidly obese. I was sick of all the worries. I was always worried. I was sick of being so inactive. I was sick of being left on the sidelines. Sick of worrying who was going to help my daughters when they became mothers, because surely I wouldn't be alive to help them. Who would tell them what to do when their children got a fever for the first time. Who's house would they go to for holidays. I wondered who would help them learn to cook. I got sick of being embarassed at my horrible wardrobe and the way that I looked. Just awful. I just couldn't take it anymore. And realized that I DIDN'T HAVE TO TAKE IT ANYMORE. If I didn't want to be fat, well then all I had to do was find a plan and STICK TO IT. Surely missing out on some food had to be easier then the life I was leading. I had just had enough of the pain and suffering. It was enough. It just got to be too unbearable.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

I just wanted to add one more thing, I have a tendency to do that. I finally found a plan that I can stick to, but I really think it's more that I was ready to MAKE a plan and STICK to it. Kind of a which came first thing, the chicken or the egg. I finally realized that just cutting back didn't work for me. I needed a complete overhaul, to get myself in control. I needed to not only cutback, but eliminate certain foods. Of course when I say eliminate, I mean for the most part, of course I believe in everything in moderation. But when I first started out, I knew the everything in moderation part had to be way down the road. I had to switch to healthy foods. I had to give myself every chance to succeed. I really had to give it a no kidding around here anymore attitude, time to get real and give it an all or nothing approach. I had to give it 150% effort. Really, really focus on my health and the weightloss. I hadn't done that in the past. But again, I don't think I was WILLING to do that in the past. That's all. For now anyway.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #5  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

I keep asking myself why this time is different, and honestly I don't know. But it is different, I can tell that already. I just know that I deserve better.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

This time is different because it's personal. That sounds funny, but my weight has never bothered me in the past. I was always able to do what I wanted to do, it didn't stop me from finding the man of my dreams, having friends, traveling, doing whatever I wanted pretty much. However, now, my doctor is telling me it's the reason I can't get pregnant. I finally have a good enough reason to do this. And now that I've lost over 50 lbs, I feel so amazing, I'm wearing much cuter clothes, I even find I'm being treated differently. So now I have many more reasons besides just getting pregnant for continuing this journey.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #7  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

You know, it's hard to say why this time is different. I guess for me, it's been a long time coming. I've been dieting for over 25 years. I've been on so many diets, I've lost track. Over the past few years, I've been feeling more and more out of touch with my body. I became dismayed as my weight crept up higher and higher. Then, in 2004, I hit 307 lbs. Though I stayed at that weight for more than 2 years, I told myself I could get below 300 easily. After all, it was only 7 lbs. (I didn't even entertain the thought of weight loss beyond that.) But nothing seemed to work, and in truth, I didn't make much of an effort exercise-wise. Plus, I started a new job in 2005, and my work schedule exploded. I had no free time. Fast food became a way of life. Thought I ate salads from time to time, I had no set plan. I did not exercise at all.

Then, on New Year's Day 2007, I stepped on the scale and it read 315. I couldn't believe I had gained 8 pounds while I was trying to lose 7! I promised myself that I would make a change right then and there. I would keep trying to lose the weight no matter what. I would not give up and allow myself to wallow in obesity. I would take control of my body and my weightloss.

I now have a target of reaching my goal weight by my next high school reunion in April 2008. My plan is working for the time being, and I'm even exercising more frequently. It's hard, but this time it will be different. I just know it.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #8  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover View Post
You know, it's hard to say why this time is different. I guess for me, it's been a long time coming. I've been dieting for over 25 years. I've been on so many diets, I've lost track. Over the past few years, I've been feeling more and more out of touch with my body. I became dismayed as my weight crept up higher and higher. Then, in 2004, I hit 307 lbs. Though I stayed at that weight for more than 2 years, I told myself I could get below 300 easily. After all, it was only 7 lbs. (I didn't even entertain the thought of weight loss beyond that.) But nothing seemed to work, and in truth, I didn't make much of an effort exercise-wise. Plus, I started a new job in 2005, and my work schedule exploded. I had no free time. Fast food became a way of life. Thought I ate salads from time to time, I had no set plan. I did not exercise at all.

Then, on New Year's Day 2007, I stepped on the scale and it read 315. I couldn't believe I had gained 8 pounds while I was trying to lose 7! I promised myself that I would make a change right then and there. I would keep trying to lose the weight no matter what. I would not give up and allow myself to wallow in obesity. I would take control of my body and my weightloss.

I now have a target of reaching my goal weight by my next high school reunion in April 2008. My plan is working for the time being, and I'm even exercising more frequently. It's hard, but this time it will be different. I just know it.
That was my exact weight on that exact date too. It took me about 3 weeks to fully commit, but I will never forget that moment. I was horrified too. I stood there thinking, "How did this happen?"

But congrats on your success so far! See you at the finish line!!!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #9  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

That's too funny. I love how there are so many women on this site in the exact same position as me.

Good luck to you too, SexyRevealed! Congrats on your weight loss so far. You're well on your way.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

And you girls are the same exact height. Kinda cool.

Yes, this place is amazing. To be able to "talk" to so many people who are experiencing exactly what we are is just an incredible thing. I never had anybody who could relate to me on this topic. I was the heaviest (by far) of every human being I have ever known.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

That really is the beauty of this site -- finding people who know EXACTLY how we feel.

What made it different this time for me? It's hard to say, because I think there are a lot of factors -- here are a few:

*I knew I could do it, because I'd done it before. It was just a matter of committing for GOOD.
*My next birthday was going to be 35, and I know I still want to have a baby but my health has been stopping me (among other reasons). I didn't want that as a barrier anymore.
*My mother was diagnosed with diabetes, and I knew I was on the same path.
*I was seriously sick of it. Everything else in my life is wonderful -- great husband, a fulfilling job, a wonderful family. It's silly to let this one thing rule over me when I KNOW how to fix it.
*I realized I'm strong enough to do it.
*3FC has kept me accountable, interested, and enthusiastic about my journey, and I've had all kinds of support here. That has made a HUGE difference this time!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #12  

Height: 5.6

Honestly - I got the daylights scared out of me....

I went to the doctor and failed EVERY TEST.

I had been on blood pressure meds for a while - - - but they were starting to not work...

I was diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol, worse blood pressure, my liver and kidneys were having problems.... and even more issues.

I was basically told to make a decision. So, yep, I made that decision - to take care of me... to go back to the me I used to be, except smarter, wiser and more determined.

Thank goodness I found a wonderful support system here... and I have not looked back once....
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I knew I didn't want to spend my 50s as fat and unhealthy as I was in my 40s (once you hit that half-century mark, health becomes a big issue!). I was moving to a new place so I decided to make a fresh start. Life got better and better as the pounds came off, and I discovered I like to exercise. Frankly, these last pounds are the hardest, but will probably be the most rewarding.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #14  
Losin' it forever!

Ya know, part of me says that I "have no idea what makes this time different" and another part of me says, "What doesn't make this time different?!"

Purging the word "diet" from my vocabulary was a HUGE thing for me and a major turning point. I think because I have spent the majority of my forty years on a diet that I just could not bear another one. EVER. There is just nothing about that word that says anything positive to me anymore.

Thinking of changing my lifestyle and making more healthy choices has made all the difference in the world to my attitude, my determination and my mental approach to weight loss.

I also got a little freaked out when over the last few months my blood pressure has been slightly high. Not enough to cause the doctor concern yet, but my BP had always been spot on. I knew that the increase in it was a direct result of how I ate and used my body.

This forum has also made a huge difference! To have someplace to go where people understand your struggles, cheer with you on victories, motivate you when you falter and even give you a cyber kick in the pants when necessary is priceless to me.
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #15  
journey girl

S/C/G: 325/323/160

Height: 5'8"

Well, my reason "this time" is a little superficial - my sister is getting married in November and I don't want to see family, etc, feeling and looking this heavy. As far as why it seems to be working this time - I don't know! I wish I knew, because it might help when I go through times when it's more difficult. It just seems like things have been "clicking" for the most part these last 5 weeks.
kaepepper is offline   Reply With Quote