Old 03-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #1  
Kelli

S/C/G: 187/136.8/128

Height: 5'3

Default Off Topic: Ovarian Cyst....

Anyone have experience with this? I went to my annual appt today and she said she felt a 4cm cyst on my ovary...IM SCARED OUT OF MY MIND I have an ultrasound tomorrow to explore it and I feel like throwing up..anyone have experience they can share?
mamabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #2  
Barb on LAWL

Height: 5'3"

I had many many cysts before. I had one that was the size of an orange that I felt when I was rubbing there. That one bled into itself that is why it felt hard... Did she seem concerned? My OB told me once that they are most times non cancerous. They really will know alot tomorrow when they look at it. Just try to calm down and take a deep breath. If you want to PM me and talk you can. Also you can IM me if you have yahoo or AIM just let me know in a PM...

I will be thinking about you!
Barb316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

OK, first of all, a lot of cysts have benign causes. Depending on your age, they are much more likely to be benign than to be cancerous or dangerous. Cysts on an ovary are very common in women of reproductive age. Also, most cysts go away without treatment within a few months. Your doctor is just being thorough because certain types of cysts can cause medical complications...but most likely, there is NOTHING that will need to be treated medically (except maybe your stress levels).

I don't have personal experiences with ovarian cysts, but I can tell you that I have friends who have...and even though hers was medically complicated (it ruptured, caused her a lot of pain, etc), it was still easily treated by docs in the ER when she went in with a lot of pain. Hopefully, the fact that your doc is being so proactive means you won't end up in pain, in the ER, or having any complications at all.

I'll keep you in my thoughts - let us know how the ultrasound goes!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #4  
Erika on LAWL

S/C/G: 189.6/171.4/140

Height: 5'4"

Kelli,

One of my closest friends and my college roommate had ovarian cysts. She said they're really not something to worry about they just hurt like **** when they rupture.

I personally have PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) so I have a lot of cysts on my ovaries. In the ultrasound it looks like I have a string of pearls surrounding my ovaries. Aside from them messing with my horomones and my fertility, they're all benign.

I'll be thinking of you...
Chick With Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #5  
Vic

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4

Kelli,

I have many sisters and we are a lumpy bunch. One of my sisters had fibroid cysts on her ovaries and they are typically benign. They will be able to tell you more tomorrow so don't freak...I know it's nerve-wracking. It is most likely nothing. Hang in until tomorrow and you are in our thoughts!
Seagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #6  
Kelli

Oh girls, thank you...I am of reproductive age, LOL. I'm almost 38 and she said it was kind of big and thats why shes calling for the u/s and didnt act like it was an emergency. She asked about my periods and such and I said I have been completely normal, not so much as a cramp, no pain, etc. She said its probably nothing, but I have always had this terrible black cloud fear that something would happen to me to take me from my children and this was like my worst fear realised. I was in such shock and petrified. I am relieved that I can go so soon for the u/s, the wait for the dr to review and call me will be torture...she told me the u/s tech cant really tell ME much THANK YOU ALL, so sincerely
Old 03-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #7  
Member of the Gold Plan

Kelli, most cysts are nothing at all to worry about. They are usually just fluid-filled and no big deal as far as cancer. I understand your fear--when I was 3 months pregnant with my first I had a cyst removed that was the size of a grapefruit and was threatening my pregnancy. I was scared I would lose my baby AND get cancer. (Neither happened.) Then later I had several others that were just 'watch and wait'. Most of them reabsorb within 3 months or so, give or take. Your doctor is being safe by checking to be sure they are okay. Some cysts are comprised of tissues, like mine was, and then they get painful and large so she probably just wants to be sure its not one of those. They are easily surgically removed and the recovery isn't too bad.
I have heard of birth control pills helping with cysts although I am not sure if that is medical fact or not.
Try to take a deep breath. As mothers I think we ALL fear that something will happen to take us away from our children. I will share with you that I am also your age and found a lump in my breast about two months ago, but it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that I unfroze from my shock and fear and went to get it checked (and I'm a nurse! I should know better!!). Anyway, several tests later and today I got a letter in the mail saying that I have no evidence of cancer. The reason I tell you this is because the fear and shock is normal, as is the apprehension as you await your diagnostic appointment. But most of the time, most of the lumps and bumps are benign and non-cancerous. But, as your doctor knows, that doesn't mean that we can just ignore them. We check into them if only to be safe and sure. So schedule your ultrasound and be prepared to be relieved that its nothing to worry about.
Oh, one other thing. Watch the ultrasound and pay attention to where she stops it to take pictures. If it looks like a dark round spot or dark jellybean, that means that its fluid-filled and most likely just fine. Thats how cysts appear on ultrasound. Also, see if your doctor will get your exam to be a 'call report' exam--that means that they read it right while you are there and then call your doctor right away...you can sometimes get the results a lot sooner that way.
coopergrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #8  
Kelli

Thanks coopergirl. I had the u/s this morning and they said its fluid filled and NINE cm! They are amazed that I have NO symptoms and that I AM already on bc pills and that this developed. They sent me for a CA-125 blood test to check for anything that would indicate cancer, but the fact that it IS fluid filled and NOT solid components is a good sign. I still wish I didnt have to wait to hear on this blood work...cos she mentioned that It CAN come back with high levels for other reasons than cancer too...so that freaks me out. Anyway, they said if that works out ok, we will do the watch and wait thing...I just cant imagine something like this grew in ONE year...I belive my former OB didnt catch it
Old 03-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #9  
Vic

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4

Hi Kelli...

That's great news! So, what now? Will they remove it?
Seagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #10  
Kelli

Well, it depends on the blood work, god forbid the levels come up high...she said its a watch and wait for a few months till they decide what to do...Im still worried but coping....
Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #11  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

hang in there kelli

big hug coming your way
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #12  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Kelli - hugs to you and hope you get your answers as soon as possible. Take a deep breath and keep a positive attitude!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #13  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Thinking of you Kelli!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #14  
Purple (no lites)

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Kelli - I'm glad you've got good news so far. My u/s on Thursday showed that my spot is solid, but very small (they didn't tell me a measurement). They are doing a biopsy this Thursday. Then I wait for results.
pjbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #15  
Kelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbeau View Post
Kelli - I'm glad you've got good news so far. My u/s on Thursday showed that my spot is solid, but very small (they didn't tell me a measurement). They are doing a biopsy this Thursday. Then I wait for results.

So we wait together Hang in there