Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-24-2007, 01:55 AM   #1  
LLV

Default Does Paula Deen gross anyone else out?

Paula Deen is a host of a show on Food TV.

And she totally disgusts me.

Like tonight I was just watching Paula's Party and they were frying hot dogs (including the buns) in butter. Whatever floats her boat.

But she's standing there talking about "sucking" the hot dogs to this man that was cooking them and then when she went to eat hers she says, "Oh, I just wanna suck it."

Maybe I'm just a prude, but there's a time and a place for everything and a FOOD show on national television is NOT the time or the place to be making sexually suggestive remarks.

OK, rant over, thank you for listening. But I've got a question - is it just me? Or does this get on anyone else's nerves? I just want to smack the crap out of her.

Whatever the case, it's obvious why she's on very late on Friday nights.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:36 AM   #2  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Default Wow...

surprised that a generally-pleasant nice dame like Paula would try to pull off such a blatantly obvious sexual innuendo.

But yea, thought your thread was about her cooking -- some of which looks delicious, but most of them are utterly disgusting with all the deep-friedness, oil, mayo, shortening, bacon AND butter that she throws into her recipes w/o batting an eye (one time, she even jested about "I can eat cereal with butter!" - the scary thing, my friends and I can't tell if she's actually joking or not.)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

That's funny, my 17 yo DD loves her. She uses a wee bit too much fat for my liking and don't enjoy watching the show. I don't think I would ever consider making ANYTHING she cooks. As far as food and sexual innuendo, many people do think eating is a very sensual experience, so I can see why she threw that in, although it would kinda turn me off as well. Sounds like she might have stepped over the line a tad. She definitely enjoys hers food, my DD's always telling me she doesn't take just one bite of the food, keeps going back for more and more. Sounds like she gets a lot of pleasure from her food.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

It does freak me out a little how she flirts with the male audience members, especially since she's married! However, I think she has that attitude where people say once you reach the age of 60, you get a sense of freedom to do whatever you want, and to be yourself, no matter what others think!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #5  
LLV

She was just out of control last night, LOL. Slurping at these hot dogs and saying she likes to suck them. Gee, I can't imagine what she meant by that, haha!

I just sat there in a slight shock and was like, "Oh no, she did NOT just say that!"

And ok, maybe eating is a sensual experience for some, but I'm not going to get up on national television and talk about sucking weenies. She stuck that thing in her mouth and was like, "Ohhhh, I just want to suck it!"

LOL

It was funny, but a little repulsive at the same time.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #6  
it's always something

I find her extremely annoying, lol. I live in the south and we really do say y'all, but she says y'all more times in a 30 minute show than we say in 6 months! Everyone I know says that they also can't stand to watch her, partly because of all the y'all'ing, partly because the food is so fatty that it's yucky. I suspect her producers encourage her to say it so frequently, assuming everyone else expects it.

Even worse - Sandra Lee
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I find her extremely annoying, lol.
Good, I'm glad I'm not alone!

Quote:
I live in the south and we really do say y'all, but she says y'all more times in a 30 minute show than we say in 6 months! Everyone I know says that they also can't stand to watch her, partly because of all the y'all'ing, partly because the food is so fatty that it's yucky.
Oh it's just awful. I don't know how she eats like that. And encourages it. Ick! Like last night, I couldn't believe they were not only frying hot dogs in butter, but they were frying the buns as well, LOL.

But like I said, whatever floats her boat.

Quote:
Even worse - Sandra Lee
I don't believe I've ever watched her.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #8  
LLV

I just went to the Food TV site and looked up Paula Deen recipes and I'm laughing my butt off here.

Bacon-wrapped breadsticks? Fried creamed corn? Fried greens beans? Deep-fried refrigerator biscuits?

Okay, I'm picking out all of the bad stuff, but I honestly believe this woman will fry anything. Including hot dogs!

No offense, Paula, but if you're going to make love to a hot dog in front of thousands of people, keep the gross comments to yourself. That was a VERY bad visual.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #9  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
I don't believe I've ever watched her.
Well if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have a box of Bisquick, a tube of frosting, and a bottle of vodka and don't have a clue what to fix for dinner, watch Sandra Lee Seriously, she takes highly processed packaged mixes and adds a few canned items (I don't think I've ever seen anything fresh) and creates semi-homemade meals. Then she always ends with a recipe for some cocktail. Anthony Bourdain, who I not-so-secretly pine over, said this about Sandra Lee
Quote:
Pure evil. This frightening **** Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time.
http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/02/guest_blogging_.html for his full review.

Check out this forum devoted to Sandra Lee bashing. The sheer number of posts will make you dizzy. How does she stay on the air? Ok, she must have some fans, and I really hope I haven't offended anyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't care for Bourdain, either, lol.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

Seriously, I read that blog when it first came out and even if you LOVE the food network chefs... Bourdain's assessments are pretty dead on. But I'm partial because Bourdain is my favorite person ever.

hubby calls Sandra Lee and the the Everyday Italian chef "the bobble heads" and sadly that is about right.

Somehow when Nigella Lawson says she wants to suck something it's sexy without being disgusting, but when Paula Deen does it .. GAG!
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

Paula does freak me out sometimes with her sexual connotations, but I can't help but watch her or anything on the food network for that matter. Although I would probably never cook anything that Paula or Sandra Lee makes, I still watch them.

Lissiness: I agree with you about Nigella. I watched her Chefography the other day, and she said something like that she's not trying to be sexy, that's just the way she is.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Too funny! I was going to comment on Nigella - she is definitely sensual. I didn't see that particular episode of Paula Deen but have been grossed out by her on occasion. She cannot pull off sexy or sensual and she should stop trying!

I like the Surreal Gourmet, Bob Blumer. He made Jello in a fishbowl and put in fish gummies. Have you guys seen his show?
Clover2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #13  
LLV

What is the name of Sandra Lee's show?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I just love Paula Dean because of her spirit! I would also probably be grossed out by her making sexual comments, but if you check her background out, as a person she is an inspiration. (at least to a social phobic like me) This women was so agoraphic that she never left her home, food became a comfort for her and even though most of it is fattening beyond all belief, the girl can cook!
And now look at her!!!!!!!!! You would have never thought that she had an anxiety disorder!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #15  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
What is the name of Sandra Lee's show?
Its called Semi-Homemade. I dont care for her.

The Soup has showed clips of Paula's sexual innuendos on their show lately. I like Paula. She uses way too much butter and fat in her cooking, but hey thats how we do it in the south. Everything has to be deep fried or smothered in gravy.

Speaking of Paula flirting, did anyone catch the finale of "The Next Food Network Star 2" when Paula was on it? She was rubbing all over Reggie (I think that was his name) and flirting big time. I was like OK Paula..leave him alone and let him cook already!

I like Anthony Bourdain. He tells it like it is. I wish he would take on the role of full time judge on Top Chef.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote