Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #1  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Default Aerobics?

Yesterday, as I flapped my way through another aerobics class where I am the newest and fattest person there I realized something. I am enjoying myself!

What?!?

I`m more of an elliptical or walking or swimming person and I have about as much rhythm as a tap dancing monkey, but there I was doing aerobics with a huge smile on my face.

So my question is: what exercise(s) did you think you wouldn`t enjoy and now are addicted to?

Whodda thunk. Me and aerobics.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

It seems like so many of us are figuring out that we like things we always assumed we hated (with food and with exercise). I was always the opposite -- I thought I just wanted to do aerobics because they weren't as boring as something repetitive. I wouldn't say I have the most rhythm in the world, but I could usually follow a routine, and I could have fun with it. Now I'm into running! And I love the elliptical! I never in a million years thought I would run at all, let alone enjoy it and get obsessed with it. I love the meditative state you can get in when your body adjusts to the run. I can't get that with aerobics classes. I'm trying a step aerobics class tonight, though, and I think it'll be fun!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #3  

I remember that feeling when I was running
but that was like another life time ago. I am so jealous of my younger self.
I went and did Aikido , I was / am very big . So here I am in my white aikido pj's being flung around and I loved it.
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #4  

Reporting back after trying the step aerobics class...

It was fun! It was nothing close to the workout I get with running, however, so I had to kind of jump around and use my arms a lot to get my heart rate up. Amazing how my cardio endurance has improved from running.

The instructor looked wary about my ability to do the class when I said I hadn't done step in many years, but I proved her wrong. She had lots of crazy dance-y combos I could've done without, but I got them. Woohoo! I'll go back and do it again as an easy, rest-day-from-running kind of cardio -- something different to keep things exciting. Oh, and I'll definitely raise my step height! I was afraid to this time because I was new to it, but again...running makes you so much fitter. I'm not superfit by any means, but I can see a world of difference between myself now and myself before running.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #5  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Lisa - I'm so glad you liked the step class.....I love step!! It's the only aerobics class that I have ever enjoyed and I've been doing step off and on for over 10 years. I do find, though, that the instructor makes all the difference. My favourite instructor does less dance moves and more intense cardio. I find my heartrate is actually higher with the step class than running, but everyone is different.

And if you liked it this time, it only gets better!

Enjoy....
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #6  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Red face

Elisa, Step aerobics is the only aerobics I've ever liked too! I started back in the early 90's, but stopped for years after I had my son and proceeded to get fat, LOL! But I am back at it now and I absolutely LOVE it. I don't go to a club or GYM right now because I live in the boonies, so I have lots of DVD's, but most of the time I put on some 80's and 90's dance music and just go at it.

I'm a little envious of al you runners though. Y'all make it sound so cool. I am heavy chested and have asthma and could never really run. How did you all start it? Did you start off walking and then walking/running combo and work your way up to full fledged running?
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #7  

Check the C25K thread (in this folder) for one beginners running program and suport, Diva. Also, a good bra will help a lot with the other kind of support.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #8  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Thanks!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #9  

Diva, you can also check the Cool Runners thread -- it's a pretty active thread and many of us are new runners. I started with my own version of the C25K program, and when I started I weighed about 250 and I was wearing a DD size bra (now I just have one D). I just strap the girls down with a sports bra over a regular bra and that seems to work. As for the asthma, I'm not sure -- you might talk to your doctor about whether running would be good for that.

I never thought I would love running, or even like it... but it really is wonderful for me. I'll never be fast, but that's ok.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #10  

I so want to start running again, would you like to have a buddy just to get started ? I have been putting it off as it seems so hard at this weight. But I know that it's just a matter of getting started and perservering and before you know it, you will be able to run for a short time and be able to keep improving.
Let me know if you would like to do this Diva.
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote