Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Default I can't even walk a 1K!!

My kids have decided that they really want to do a 1K marathon for kids in May! I'm so excited for them!
I took them to the Y today because it's still pretty cold here and we all walked the track so that they knew about how far they would have to go for a 1K. I GOT SHIN SPLINTS HALF WAY THRU! I thought this would have been a breeze! I have been using my cross-trainer almost everyday, 30-45 minutes, for at least a month. I usually fatigue before I start hurting!
I thought about doing a marathon myself, but I wouldn't be able to afford my entry fee and the kids' this year. I did find out that I can run along side my daughter in her marathon and I was planning on "training" with them anyway. Looks like I have a long ways to go
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

It may be that you've been exercising every day and not giving your legs a break, or just the change in the surface you were walking on. Just let it heal up and try again.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd say work up to it. One exercise doesn't translate to another. So you may be able to do your cross trainer but a different surface/movement may be brand new for your body.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I agree with Nelie. The surface you are walking on, inclines, etc. make a huge difference. My shins can't stand a treadmill on any incline higher than 2but I can run around a track no problemo. Maybe easing into it will help.

tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #5  

Agreed that you need to work up to it, but you may need better shoes as well. Yes, there really are special-for-walking shoes, and they might be a good idea. You'd get them at a running/sports store (which is not a Foot Locker).

You can google for stretches to help with the shin splints, as well.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

Hey now! I always get my shoes at Foot Locker and they've been great for me. But then I don't know of any other places you CAN get running shoes around here.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #7  

No offense intended!

Seriously, though, you've got something that works for you-- which is great. But when someone begins to have problems it does help to go to better-trained shoe stores.

Here's the Runner's World's shop locator: http://www.runningnetwork.com/stores/index.html . (AlmostHeaven, the WV choices are Wheeling or Parkersville.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

Parkersburg? Figures. They're both on other sides of the state. LOL
Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 PM   #9  

I have been walking quite long distances since my car broke down, and my muscles on the sides of my legs from my ankle to about half way up really starts to hurt. I have to slow right down and walk through it. I know I need new shoes and I also have to watch the way I walk, I tend to roll on the sides of my feet . Have you looked at this ?
There's are really good map on the net, that lets you know the distance so perhaps you can plan out a walk and train , adding a few more metres everyday.
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the support gals!
I actually just bought shoes a few months ago, so I don't think that was it. I did manage to get through tonights walk with minimal pain, I did more stretching first so I think that might have been the problem. I'm just not use to having to stretch! I don't stretch before I use my cross-trainer because I use it right after I get home from work-----chasing the kiddies all morning at the daycare Great stress reliever before my kids get home
I'm just going to take it easy this week, give my legs a chance to loosen up and I'll ease into it. I have about 2 months to work up to it, I CAN DO THIS! It'll be so sad if my 8 yr old still kicks my butt come May!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 AM   #11  

perhaps you can start up a kiddies daycare work out group. Get the kids moving and grooving. I've seen some fun dancing videos

sneak in some xtra training before the big day.
I know your daughter will be pleased as punch having her mum there with her.
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote