Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default How do you get through "that time"?

I started a month ago next week. So right after my period. I'm on now and I'm going nutso! I'd like to have a Snickers but what I really really want is salt!!! I'd chew my own arm off for a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos.

I know,exercise...but I still want em.(lol) And excuse me if this is gross but when I exercise my flow goes crazy! It's bad enough to do my regular reguime with that happening. I don't want to do more and have it gush more.

Oh well...once a month for 5 days having a hard time is do-able I guess. But Doritos and Snickers are calling my name HARD!

How do you get through that? Any thing eatable (lol) that'll help the cravings?
penor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You get through it, just like any other day. Yes, certain days are harder then others. I think it's more a mental thing then finding something to eat. You've got to tell yourself that no matter what you are sticking to this. that giving into your cravings will not lead you to where you want to go. Period. (haha, get it?)

As far as food, why not cook up a bunch of veggies in some chicken broth. Green beans, roast them with some garlic. Leave them nice and crunchy. Very satisfying. A few pistachio nuts. A nice cup of hot tea. Chew some gum.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I feel your pain... I get twinges around PMS time of course, then *the dreaded week* arrives and all I want is chocolate (I can't believe there are people who think this is constructed.. ummmm, not so much). It does get better though, once you go through it on plan a few times.

Plan, plan, plan!!! My biggest downfall during TOM is thinking "okay, I can have this one...." and that repeats every hour. I log my foods into fitday the SECOND I eat them or I'll continue and "forget," and during TOM (and whenever I can) I try to plan the morning of or night before.. I'll even allow myself a treat here and there so I don't go absolutely nuts.. but it has to be ONE, and it has to be portioned or that's it for me. Drink tons and tons of water, more than you do regularly, and perhaps try out one of those teas made for pms/cramps- I believe yogi makes them, and they're great!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #4  

I have the same issue. For the sweet cravings,
Try chewing gum or my favorite treat Sugar Free Fudgsicles.. only 80 calories for 2 Fudgsicles... they are a Godsend. I usually have one at breakfast during TOM and one after dinner.
The veggies in chicken broth sound great for the salt craving. May have to try that.
Karma27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/?/150

Height: 5ft6in

I had a bad TOM this go round. I totally hear ya! I did find a treat that made me feel like I had "cheated". I got a grande skim latte with sugar free hazelnut syrup. I put 4 splendas in it. Tasted like dessert! Combined with a package of South Beach Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies (2 in a package and 100 calories) I felt like I was getting away with murder! The rest of the month I try not to eat anything processed. During TOM I try to allow myself some kind of processed "diet" treat. Not "perfect" by my plan standards, but so much better than before I changed my eating!!!!

Last month I fell of the wagon exercise wise during TOM. This time stuck with it and even pushed it a little. Call me crazy, but I went 2 days longer than usual. Doesn't seem fair does it? BUT the week after TOM, it paid off on the scale.

Good luck!
Shellyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #6  
Losin' it forever!

Oh, how I sympathize! I started a similair thread last month about nearly the same thing! I want the chocolate and it is the only time of the month I crave salt!

Just as Robin said, you have to treat it like any other day. I try to find other things to occupy my time and take my mind off the cravings and it does help. I can say that this month was better than last month as I felt more in control!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #7  

I'm right here with you...

I do find if I eat a little more protein that it helps with my sugar cravings-I'm a definite sugar craver, not salt.

Or, if you're really craving salt, maybe have a small serving of roasted almonds-then you're getting protein and healthy omega 3 fats, so it's not a total nutritional loss.

Hope that helps-
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

sugar craver all the way. I don't know what your plan includes but if my cravings are about to "kill" me I'll allow myself one of the Yoplait "Whips" yogurts in the chocolate mousse flavor and I add about 1/4 c. fiber one cereal. Tastes quite a bit like a chocolate pie. The yogurts I'm speaking of are a little higher in calorie (about 160) and the cereal adds 30...but it's protein, dairy, and fiber in one snack...and it kicks the craving...so I consider them "cheap" calories.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #9  

Tricia,

There's chocolate mousse flavored yogurt!! Where have I been! Those sound delicious....

May go to the store tomorrow!
thanks-
sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie76 View Post
Tricia,

There's chocolate mousse flavored yogurt!! Where have I been! Those sound delicious....

May go to the store tomorrow!
thanks-
sherry
Best food find of my life, I think! haha After 8 weeks of no "real" chocolate desserts I find that they are absolutely DIVINE!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:15 AM   #11  
missaprylj

I bought one of those tonight too! I haven't tried it yet though...
Old 03-21-2007, 03:47 AM   #12  

I would eat chocolate all day and I would be constantly hungry.
I get very heavy days that keep me at home.
I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I have found that since replacing all the rubbish food with fruit, lots of it at that time. The constant hunger is gone and I have lost the sugar craving.
I still get cravings for salt , so working on that one.
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:13 AM   #13  

Location: Ft Campbell KY/Clarksville TN - studying in Vancouver BC

S/C/G: 220/113/100

Height: 5'5''

i indulge on air popped popcorn (with a little olive oil cooking spray and salt) and activia lite yogurts...mmm. So it's not as good as the ice cream and potato chips I want, but it still works and it's not nearly as bad for you.
Tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #14  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

For me, I don't really crave specific types of food, but I just want to eat FOOD in general. So I may go a little higher in calories for a couple of days. It's either that or kill DH and I don't want to go to jail. LOL.

And since we're on the topic... has anyone's cycle changed since they've lost weight? I thought mine was a bit lighter last time around. Now I wish it would be shorter. I have a full 7 days, and every 25 days at that.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRevealed View Post
And since we're on the topic... has anyone's cycle changed since they've lost weight? I thought mine was a bit lighter last time around. Now I wish it would be shorter. I have a full 7 days, and every 25 days at that.
Last month mine was a lot longer IN BETWEEN. Normally, I'm not your 28 day girl but more like 30 days. Last month was 35 days! That has NEVER happened. I'm thinking it's hormonal and will finally settle once I'm closer to goal and have stayed there for a few months. I mean, in January I was over 260 lbs...and producing the hormones for that weight. Now I'm in the 230s...but I'm probably still at the higher hormone level? I don't know...just my own little theory.