Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #1  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

Default The Weigh Down Diet

Hey everyone. I am currently reading "The Weigh Down Diet" by Gwen Shamblin and what she is saying makes a lot of sense. I was just wonderin gif anyone here has read this book. If you have, do you have this...style of eating? How did you go about changing your eating habits? and will i really lose weight eating this way? I am really struggling with my weight right now, and i think i want to try and follow what this book is saying.

Thanx
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #2  

Default tried it, liked it!

Hey! I'm new to these boards, and like most people, have tried about every diet out there and then some! About seven years ago I got up the nerve to go (by myself!) to a church in a nearby city for a Weigh Down meeting. The ladies were all very nice and all different weights and not just members of that particular church. We watched a video each week to go along with the reading materials and I really tried to apply myself to the things they were teaching.

The leader weighed us in and I started at 324 pounds and that second week the scale showed I had dropped 19 pounds! I was incredulous, but they said the heavier you are the faster it comes off at first when you actually stop snacking all day!

Well, I went a few more weeks, but with a toddler and a job and the trip being 50 miles one way, I quit attending and quit losing weight. I obviously need the help of God and a support group!

But in answer to your question, yes, this program does work and the hardest part is learning to know what "full" feels like! It was so hard to realize that I was full after just half a sandwich, or an apple, etc. They also teach you to save your favorites for the next meal if you don't get to finish it at the first one.

That's all I remember it's been so long, but if there was one close to home, I'd go in a minute! Now I'm back to trying these concepts along with my Overeaters Anonymous 12-Step program.

Good Luck!

Lisette
Lisette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #3  
Beach Dreaming

S/C/G: 220/205/135

Height: 5'8

Hello, I am new to the site too. I wanted to comment on Weigh Down. I discovered the program 10 years ago when a friend of mine was going to the meetings and started losing weight. I read over her material from the class and then later bought the book. Several years later I also joined a group, but I don't do very well with that sort of thing so I didn't go for very long.

Anyway, I have been totally sold out to Weigh Down since I first read the material. It makes so much sense. Why are we eating all of this low fat, less enjoyable stuff? Is it just so we can eat more and continue our focus/ obsession with food? I absolutely think so. Bottom line: eating when your stomach growls and stopping when you are pleasantly full DOES WORK. I lost weight when I was doing that consistently and kept it off for years.

Unfortunately, I have not practiced this regularly for a while, thus the weight gain. Keep reading the book and feel free to bring up any questions you might have about it. I feel pretty sure of the basics, because I have been around the program for so long.

The only caution I would give you is that there has been a lot of issues in the media around Gwen herself, because she has stated that she does not believe in the Trinity. I have to throw that out there so you can take everything she says and be discerning. I do believe in the Trinity and that did turn me off for a while. However, if you can get past her, the concepts are truly worthwhile. God is the only answer to all of our sins, right??
pantry raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/275/150

Height: 5'9

I too, read this book, and found it's concepts very helpful, and even lost weight doing it. I did find another book Thin Within that has the same hunger/fullness guidelines without the questionable stuff that Gwen Shamblin talks about. Also, not so much condemnation either.
Sarah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5.5"

Who is the author of that book???
Alot of the stuff in the WeightDown book isn't Biblical~
I found First Place to be pretty helpful!!!

mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

I have been on Weigh down in the past... learned some important things like listening to my body and stop eating before I am stuffed.... I did find it wasn't biblical in all areas... I've been part of First Place much longer.... I think it is better.

Reba
RebaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 AM   #7  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

As much as i hate to admit it, this has shown me what a HUGE overeater i really am. I am hardly ever hungry, but i eat all the time. Im working really really hard to stop focusing so much on food, but its so hard. Just getting myself NOT to focus on calories has been really difficult (i am a MASTER at eating low cal foods so that i can stuff my face). I fail the most when i am downstairs watching tv, the kithen is right there!
I do better with each passing day.
If you could keep me in your prayers i would really apreciate it.
God bless.

p.s. i want to look up stuff about the other book you gals are talking about. Could anyone tell me a little more about it??
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #8  

Default Just ordered the book

Hi I just ordered the book and soon maybe we can share and support each other as we go along. I have been doing well with my diet but hit a stand still the last week or so. I am hoping the book will help me get going again!!!
jarjonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #9  

Hi, I am new to the site and was very interested in your conversation about Weigh Down. I too have been on that plan in the past. Yes, it did work for me and it makes a lot of sense. I too have problems with Gwyn's ideas and I feel she has varied off from Truth. I will see if I can find this book you girls are speaking of and join in on looking through it together with you, if you don't mind.
I have been on weight Watcher's and just dropped out today (boo hoo!) because I was just playing around with the program for a month now. And as you know, it is to expensive to pay and not play by their rules. Anyway, my husband suggested that we take that money that I was paying to the organization and put it up and then at the end of the month if I have lost a certain amount (an amount we both agree on) then the money is mine. If I don't, then it stays in the pot another month. -Or something like that - We really didn't work out details yet. So, I know me and I know I need a support group, so girls, when I found 3 chicks and found a faith based group, I felt it was the Lord's way of helping me.
I have lost 32 pounds and only have 32 + 32 +maybe another 5 pounds to go (ha, ha, a long way yet). Well, at least one third in done. Hopefully never to find me again! Thanks for listening and I will be looking forward to reading your thoughts and lifting you in prayer. I know the Lord wants us to be successful in this challenge in our lives.
elizbennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #10  
Beach Dreaming

S/C/G: 220/205/135

Height: 5'8

Hello Ladies, Being a Christian, I have always thought that a book or program about weight loss from a Christian perspective was the best choice for me. As a result, I have purchased a few They were all good and had great things to teach me, but in the end, it's still the choices I make moment by moment that make it work or not. So.....I have some titles and authors to share that have been helpful.
This original thread began about Weigh Down and I believe there are basically 2 important things to get from that program. First, eat only when you are physically hungry and stop when you feel satisfied, but not stuffed. Second, no foods are "good or evil". As one person already posted on this thread, she knows how to eat all low fat foods and still be constantly eating and focused on food. So, all foods are acceptable, but moderation is the key.
Next is "The Diet Alternative" by Diane Hampton. With this author, I felt she was very spiritually mature and was biblically accurate. I got my copy on Amazon. If you have the option, get the "Revised Version" because it is updated and comes with a study guide at the end that you could do alone or in a group.
Next, as previously mentioned, "Thin Within" and also "Thin Again", both by Arthur Halliday and Judy Halliday. These books, while also being biblically based, focus more on the "Why" of our overeating. Very helpful information, but I felt it was a bit more complicated than "Diet Alternative" because it asks for daily observations and journal type stuff and I know that some people need that, but I am not the type to EVER keep up with something like that.
Finally, I have "Scale Down" by Danna Demetre. This is my least favorite of the ones mentioned, but different messages get through to different people. This book dealt with changing our "self talk". Those messages we repeat to ourselves all day that sometimes keep us "stuck". It's not a bad book at all and honestly I should probably reread it since I feel I may have changed since my first time through.
So, look them up on Amazon and read all of the customer comments and see if any strike a cord with you.
Hope this gives some direction.
pantry raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #11  

P.R Thanks for the run down on some of the other material out there. I will probably head out in a little while and stop by Books-A-Million. I love to browse around in that store with a cup of Joe Mugs, coffee of the day. (Now that sounds like a laid-back time out, uh?).
I loved seeing you are working toward the 180 mark. I came from 132 and am working toward the 190 mark, but 180 will be my next goal. Keep up the good work and know I'm right behind you! Ha,ha- I am as slow as Christmas in losing this weight. However, my boys aired up my bike tires this past weekend and put my bike at the end of the line, so it would be easy for me to get to. I think they are great encourager's. Of course, they ride miles and miles and I am just planning to peddle around the neighborhood. Well, speaking of that, I guess it's time to get going. (Ugh - what am I doing? No, this comes before the bookstore treat.- Ha, ha - just thinking out loud)
Have a great day in all that you do!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #12  

Hi, I just wanted to encourage you to read pantry raider's comments of some diets out there. She has it right in that we need to see what the best information from each diet offers and be discerning who/what we follow. I know I will lose on most anything I try, simply because I am cutting back on "extras" and being limited in amounts and choices of foods. I have learned to be sure the diet I choose is healthy and that it makes sense to me. These are absolute keys to staying on it.
A new week, a new day, a new start! Have a great one!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #13  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Red face

I happened upon this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. The weigh down diet sounds like intuitve eating, but with a biblical aspect. Intuitive eating it eating when you're hungry, stopping when your satisfied (not full) and no foods are off limits.

I've lost 28lbs since Jan and it has been working for me.

There is an intuitive eating thread, please PM if you're interested. We're a nice bunch.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #14  

I think the first Weigh Down book has some really good points. But then Gwen's 3rd book was rejected because of her doctrine. That doesn't come out in the first book.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #15  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I did the first two sessions including meetings. Lost 29 lbs. and then quit because her doctrine got so weird. It wasn't just the trinity issue, however, her first two programs do bring you in line with tuning to listening to your body and what God wants for you. I would like to find a group again that only did session one and two. I really enjoyed those.

I had to be careful though because it can also become very comdemning.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote