General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Pet food recall after some dog/cat deaths

Please read the following article if you bought petfood under the Walmart, Safeway, Kroger and PetSmart labels. It appears to be wet food.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070316/...et_food_recall
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Wow, thanks for posting that. I dont feed my dogs that, but it is always good to know of recalls. That is crazy that they cant determine" what the problem is. Geeze.
I NEVER trust the genaric brands anyway as being healthy for my dogs, but for them to die of kidney failure is terrible. I really find it hard to believe that they dont know what is causing it.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Thanks for the post Mare ~ I don't feed my goldens that but I sure would be happy you posted if I did!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get n healthy View Post
Wow, thanks for posting that. I dont feed my dogs that, but it is always good to know of recalls. That is crazy that they cant determine" what the problem is. Geeze.
I NEVER trust the genaric brands anyway as being healthy for my dogs, but for them to die of kidney failure is terrible. I really find it hard to believe that they dont know what is causing it.
I wouldn't consider Iams and Eukanuba generics....
Old 03-17-2007, 02:41 AM   #5  
Walking by faith

Exclamation

BJ's Wholesale has also recalled pig ears due to Salmonella poisoning
Old 03-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

agrees with royal...iams and eukanuba aren't generics...its a pretty good brand name. But luckily they've got a recall.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #7  
LLV

Here is a complete list of the recalled foods. Many of these are NOT generic. Many of them are top-selling expensive brands, including Nutro.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html
Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well my daughter feeds her dog canned foods, so we checked and the ones she has are on the list...Ol' Roy. She's been trying to reach Menu Foods because the UPCs match their list but the expiration dates are slightly off. So she's not sure. BUT...she IS asking the vet today when she picks up her dog to see if this may be the reason why the dog just underwent surgery because of problems with her kidneys and stones. If they say the food could be a direct cause, she may be able to get her $450 vet bill paid.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #9  

I hope your daughter's dog is okay!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I had heard that they suspect the problem has to do with the wheat gluten but they aren't sure? They based the recall on the dates related to the wheat gluten thing.

To be safe, I'd throw it all out until they know for sure the reason. Better yet, switch brands for a while.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you have ever worked, or known someone who has worked, in food processing plants (for animals or humans) you quickly find out that the only difference between generic and name brand is usually the label.

We lived near a DelMonte canning plant, and I remember a friend who worked there talking about the ketchup they were making for quite a few store and name brands. The labels and sometimes bottles changed, but only one or two had any seasoning differences (the name brand company would provide huge bags of "secret" spices to stir into the ketchup base right before it was bottled - so the difference wasn't even "cooked in").

Poisonings, contaminations, processing errors.... have always happened, but if it happens in someone's kitchen the impact is usually very small, a few family members, a church picnic.... Unfortunately the way we process food now, it is in such humongous batches, and to provide food across the country if not the world, that thousands or even millions are affected when something goes wrong.

The overall risk is actually usually much smaller than eating from "home kitchens", but because so many are impacted in one fell swoop, it can set off a panic. It's sort of like knowing that the risk of flying is actually much lower than of riding in a car, but our perception is that flying is riskier because the news coverage is always so much more dramatic.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

The dog's fine now. She underwent the surgery about a week ago, but the vet had to keep her awhile after the surgery. So my daughter picked her back up today.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #13  

i've been dealing with this whole recall food all day. I think we have our first case in our clinic a 7 month old cat that is in kidney failure and was being fed one of the foods. So far from what my boss and i can find on the vet networks, the kidney failure is reversable if caught soon enough. I've been doing a bunch of exams and blood panels to check for any issues today. We have been crazy with the phone calls today...but at least owners are concerned.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I used to be a chemist in the pet food industry and kaplods is absolutely correct. In pet food, different brands may have different formulas or "recipes", if you will, but they use all the same ingredients...from the same ingredient bins...and they are processed on the same equipment. That is why there are so many different labels involved in the recall. Also, they recall MUCH more product than they actually think is affected...going way out on dates on either side of where they think the problem may be...just to be safe. Lastly, if I had to guess, (and I'm glad I don't! haha I don't envy them this!!!) I would say that the contamination is chemical...and not related to the gluten. Unless, it was the gluten that came in contaminated (ie, pesticides or fog treatments...they do that a lot in rail yards to keep bugs down). Best bet....check labels carefully, the stores may not have been completely diligent in getting all the recalled product off the shelves. Also, keep trying to get in touch with Menu. I guarantee they're there....and they are just being flooded with calls. I survived 1 recall during my stint in the industry and it was MURDER!!! I really feel for those poor folks right now.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #15  

agrees with royal fan...me and the other dr were talking about the causes...we both agree its not the wheat gluten since usually wheat issues (aflotoxins) cause liver issues NOt kidney issues. All they are seeing is kidney problems. We're both thinking toxins also..weather its a chemical that was sprayed on the wheat or something that got mixed in???? but the wheat glutten bull crap just isn't flying with me, since there aren't liver issues related with this right now.
Closed Thread