Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/199/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Help with aspartame.

I have been having daily headaches for the past 2 months. I've went to the doctor, the eye doctor, chiropracter, nothing helps. I did some looking on the internet and there are some articles suggesting aspartame can cause headaches. This is what I drink in a day do you think I am over using aspartame? I drink 1 diet pepsi a day, sometimes 2, I drink 3- 20oz bottles of water with an on the go packet(not the crystal light packets, usually the walmart brand) in each bottle. Then at night I have hot lemon water and I use 4 packets of the walmart brand sweetner. I have been doing this for some time and never had a problem with headaches until a few months ago, I know I should do an elimination to see if that is causing my headaches but the only way I will drink water is with an on the go packet in it and I love my lunch time diet pepsi. What are some other options for drinks during the day?

Thanks guys!
smoochie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #2  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like you've researched it as best you can, all those docs! So I'm glad its not physical...well you know what I mean. The aspartame sounds like a good reason, but why I get headaches is when I'm in caffeine withdrawal, which you didn't mention much. Are you weaning off of coffee? I doubt that the one DP a day is hurting that much. I think Pepsi Jazz is made with Splenda?
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #3  

no, I don't drink coffee. This is the amount I have drank for years, just 1 pop a day. I wonder if switching to splenda would help, I should try it!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Really ellimination is the only way to tell, because some people will say there is no safe amount of aspartame, and others ingest HUGE quantities of the stuff and seem to suffer no ill effects.

I do use artificial sweeteners including aspartame and Splenda, though right now I'm using Splenda more often than others partly because I just happened to buy a large bag of splenda and splenda containing soft drinks just as my husband and I decided to go low-carb. The book I'm getting my recipes from, says that the body reacts to aspartame somewhat like sugar (you can get blood sugar spikes), but apparently this isn't true of Splenda. Don't know if this is true or not, and have to do a bit of research, so don't quote me on that, yet).

You can become sensitive to things that didn't bother you before, but I would look at things that have changed first. But switching to Splenda for a while could help you decide if the aspartame is the culprit.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - try elimination. Go two weeks without the aspartame, and see if the headaches go away. If they do, you're sensitive to the aspartame and should avoid it. You can always try alternative sweeteners, natural or chemical, and see if they give you a similar reaction.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #6  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 167/167/125

Height: 5'0

check out this forum

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107104
HotDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #7  

I would also suggest the elimination. It seems to be the most likely culprit, and sensativity is more common than the manufacturers want you to think. If you are or become sensitive to artificial sweeteners a even little bit can bother you. I have had sensitivity to aspartame for a long time. Even too many pieces of sugar free gum will give me a headache. I was able to use Splenda (sucrulose) for a year or so then it started bothering me.

It is really a huge pain when trying to lose weight and still enjoy stuff. I can't have any diet drinks, powders ect. Yogurt that is calorie friendly and doesn't contain artificial sweeteners in it is impossible to find. Some people can't even use certain brands of toothpaste or mouthwash b/c they contain art. sweet.! Luckily I am ok there. Plus, more and more products like cereal, flavored water, juices, pasta sauces contain artificial sweeteners with out showing the big Splenda or Nutrasweet label on the front of the package. I have to carefully scan the ingredients.

There are alternative sweeteners like stevia, which is highly used in Europe and Asia. It's touted as all natural, but then again so is arsenic It has been linked to some fertility issues in men. I don't know a whole lot about it but I choose not to use it b/c of teh fertility thing (even though I am a woman).

Best of luck I hope you find out what it is. I have been there and daily headaches are awful!
MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #8  

Ok I had my last diet pepsi at lunch today and I'm not drinking anymore water with the on the go packets in them. I dont know how I am gonna get through this but in the end at least I will know if that is what is causing my headaches. Even my breath mints have aspartame in it. Anyone know where there is a list of things that contain aspartame?

Wish me luck!