Old 03-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Default Fiber

Hi all. I'm wondering how many of you aim for a certain amount of fiber each day. I'm trying to work more fiber into my diet and it's been more difficult than I thought! how much do you have and in what form(s)? Any tips?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I aim for at least 21 grams of fiber per day. Usually end up with 20-30 grams. I eat whole wheat everything. (whole wheat pancakes, whole wheat bread, whole wheat crackers). I eat lots of fresh fruit, strawberries, oranges, apples, watermelon and cantaloupe. I eat a lot of brocolli, cauliflower, salad, pretty much any type of veggie. Usually have 94% fat free popcorn, which also is good for fiber. I also use high fiber breakfast cereal with my skim milk. If I ever eat a Hamburger or Hot dog bun, it is whole wheat (the pepperidge farm ones are very good). I use whole wheat pasta. I check the package on any type of breakfast bar to make sure it is high in fiber. For me, keeping the right amt. of fiber in my food is almost just as important as keeping the right amt. of calories per day. I track both diligently.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

My response is a lot like lily's. I try to get 25 grams. When I first started I thought it would be hard. When I just looked at my nutridiary report for the last 10 weeks, I've averaged 39 g a day! So, it hasn't turned out to be hard, once I started making good choices.

I too, eat lots of whole grain foods (oatmeal, whole grain breads, etc), lots of fruit and veg. I put beans in a lot of the meals I make and they're great for fiber.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would say I aim for about 40 gms and probably eat much more then that. I increased about 2 months ago and I think it is a big reason as to why I have not hit a plataeu. Not only is it extremely filling. You burn a lot of calories just digesting the stuff.

Fiber One cereal has 14 gms of the stuff for 1/2 cup serving. I eat at least 2 servings of it a day. I sprinkle it on my yogurt instead of granola. I eat it in my salads instead of croutons. It has only 60 cals. per serving. I even just munch on it plain.

I also eat 3 cups of cauliflower most every single day. Certainly 5 days a week. So that's another 12 gms per day. 1 cup has four grams. the cauliflower is my lunch. Then there's my dinner which consists of more veggies. Lily alread mentioned some high fiber stuff, just to add to that, pears, spinach and blue and raspberries. you can do a search, type in "high fiber foods" and they will pop up for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Lightbulb How to kill hunger pangs ... Fiber

Ditto on that ... Lily and Heather! This has been one of my best secrets to feeling satisfied on my eating plan. We eat whole wheat everything ... I add natural bran to my oatmeal and also love "natural" cream of wheat; and we always eat whole grains cereals, breads, buns, muffins, and crackers. We eat no less than two or more veggies per meal (esp lunch & dinner) up to half my dinner plate. Salads, veggie-based soups, and fruit daily.

I also add beans to my soups and we eat them regularly. I find all this extra bulk helps me feel full faster and satisfied longer. I love the Country Harvest whole grain breads the most. I have yet to try the whole pasta since we only eat pasta once a week anyways, but that is on my next "to try" list. Fiber is a mainstay to me ... Rosebud.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Great ideas.

I have the whole grain thing down.... I like it better than the alternative, luckily. I had NO IDEA cauliflower had so much fiber! That's exciting. And I'd forgotten about Fiber One.

Thanks for the tips.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #7  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I'm doing WW, which fiber is a big component of. I try to find the lowest calories, highest fiber, lowest fat combination. I love Kashi Go Lean for breakfast. It doesn't have as much fiber as fiber one, but it's tasty.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Jennylou, I actually mix 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean cereal WITH 1/2 cup Fiber One cereal and 1/2 cup skim milk as my breakfast. Now I actually like the taste much better of the Fiber One. Much, much in fact. BUT, the Kashi Go lean has more protein. So that's my compromise. half and half.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I aim for at least 30 grams a day. 1/2 C of fiber one cereal contains 15 gram and I have that for snack. I also try to eat a least 4 servings of veggies everyday.
NWGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #10  

Like others above, I seem to always land somewhere between 30-40 grams. Some days it's higher - if I've had All-Bran for breakfast, I get 11 grams right there, so those days tend to end up more like 45-50 grams once I've had all my veggies and other grains (my bread for sandwiches has 5 grams a slice). I agree that it makes a MAJOR difference in keeping hunger at bay - protein and fiber are winners in that regard for sure!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote