Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #1  
Losin' it forever!

Default Emotional Upheaval but still on plan

I've had a rough couple of days which is why I haven't been here. My oldest friend, who I met when I was a freshman in high school and she was an 8th grader, was diagnosed in the fall of 2005 with oral cancer. They removed the tumor and thought that was all that needed to be done, but by spring last year, the tumor had grown again, so they removed that section of her tongue, took skin from her arm to recontruct, she had to have a trach for a couple weeks until the swelling was down enough so she could breathe properly, had to have a feeding tube in her stomach so she could eat, then chemo and radiation, which took her to last August. Since the, she has been healing and the doctor finally felt she had healed enough for another PET scan. The results came back looking like there had already been a reoccurance, so they did a bioposy on Monday and we are currently waiting for results which should be in today. She may have already gotten them and is just trying to cope with it before passing on the news.

Anyway, it really threw me as she is only 39, this cancer is incredibly aggressive and I just don't know what they will do next, if anything. But, I have managed to stay on plan. The Biggest Loser competition started at my Curves on Monday, so I've been exercising five days a week now instead of 3; three at Curves, and my two off days, I walk the perimeter of our park, which is a mile. I did that for the first time yesterday and managed it in about thirty minutes. The only hard part were the hills and my knees, but I felt really good after completing it!

I guess my friend's cancer and my staying on plan are important because most times, when stress hits, I eat like a wild woman. Now that I have been working on my eating and exercising, I have managed to stay focused, even though at times it was hard.

Hope you are all well! I'm going to go catch up on the posts now!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #2  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Cancer is such an ugly thing. It strikes so suddenly and can be so aggresive. I'm sorry you have to be a witness to it and sorry your friend has to go through it. It sounds awful! Your friend is lucky to have you there to support her though! What a good heart you have!

Way to go on keeping on plan. Hang in there!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Kimberly, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like you are right there with her. I'm sure you are a teasure to her.
Your focus is incredible. You are taking this terrible cancer that your friend has and working so hard to fight against the tempations of "taking a break" That's amazing in my books.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Kimberly,

I'm sorry your friend has to deal with that horrible ugly disease. I'll be praying for her. Please keep us posted. And, Congratulations on staying on plan through these rough times.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #5  

Height: 5.6

Hi Kimberly,

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. But, she is so blessed to have a friend as devoted as you. You are so strong and handling this so bravely.

It is wonderful that you have been able to keep up with your plan - that is STRENGTH!

Just remember that we are here for you and are glad that you posted to let us know how you are doing!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Kimberly.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Kimberly I am so sorry you friend is going through such a horrible, horrible time right now. How difficult it must be for you to witness. I can't even imagine. I hope the news that she gets is indeed better then expected.

It's marvelous, just marvelous how you've kept it togetherand stayed on plan through this all. You should be so very proud of yourself. You really have made this your "LIFEstyle".
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #8  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

So sorry about your friend. I commend you for not letting this get you down. You will be a better friend by being healthier and happier.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #9  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Kimberly,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. She is lucky to have a friend like you. Hope she gets good news with her test results.

I'm glad for you that you have been able to stay on plan thorough this time.

Thoughts and prayers for your friend and you.

Take care
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #10  

Kimberly, I'm really sorry about your friend. I know that's got to be incredibly difficult to watch from the sidelines. Take care of yourself.

Monica
triplettummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #11  
journey girl

S/C/G: 325/323/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm so sorry that you've been going through this tough time - it's so hard to experience the pain that our loved ones are going through and hopefully be strong for them. It can be REALLY hard to not give in to using food to try to cope. I hope the best for your friend and encourage you to keep on keeping on!
kaepepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and her.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #13  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Kim

I am so sorry to hear about what you and your friend are going through. I admire your strength and determination to stay committed. I wish you both all the best. If you need anything, we are here for you!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #14  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Kimberly!

I am praying that things will improve for your friend and that the doctors will be able to keep the cancer at bay. What a sad thing for anyone let alone someone so young!

I'm proud of you that you have realized that eating off plan WILL NOT help your friend but that eating ON PLAN will help you to be that much stronger and healthier to be able to stay strong for her as well as for yourself. It will really help her that you are strong and focused.

Emotional eating is something I have fought with my whole life! Just within the last few years I finally realized that! I wish I had made the connection sooner! I applaud you for staying strong and for being such a caring friend!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #15  
Losin' it forever!

Default Good News!

My friend just called and though the stupid doctor made her wait an extra day (cannot imagine that ****!) the biopsy was NEGATIVE! What was showing up was just inflammation due to healing in the area!!

Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers! They meant the world to me and the prayers definately helped my friend!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote