Old 03-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #1  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Default New here type 2 diabetic (bloggy-long)

Hi, I've posted a question once on the general diet board (about the Biggest Loser diet) but it looks as though there may be more ladies familiar with diabetes here. I started this thread because I didn't want to hijack the other lady's thread.

I've been borderline diabetic for a few years now, basically since I had GD with my son who was born in 02. I've never taken it seriously because I never felt sick, so it's almost like nothing is wrong. I can't tell you why I haven't buckled down before now. BUT, my glucose levels are way too high now and I have 3 months to try and bring them down. I've got my metformin, a new meter and the weightloss/exercise program they'll be starting at work soon. My Dr is very disappointed (almost an understatement!) that I haven't taking it seriously and resisted putting me on insulin right away since I will be dedicated to losing weight. He did get upset with a coworker who is much heavier than I am, and suggested gastric bypass to her. He hasn't done that to me yet, but if I fail in this, that might be me at my next appointment.

You'd think that when someone at work told me about what he called 'carb comas' before he lost his weight (150lbs with phen/fen) would have sent a strong message. That sluggish, sleepy feeling you get after eating a meal high in refined carbs. UGH. That is me most weekends since DH is home when I get home from work and can watch our son while I read, eat and then fall asleep for a few hours, waking up b!tchy and groggy.

I might be posting with tons of questions while I get used to counting the carbs for each meal and try to find the best range to keep things steady. I'm only supposed to test once a day and need ideas as to what would be the best time to test. My Dr didn't specify because he thinks I'm not serious about this (who can blame him?) I'd like to test more often, but he would have to rewrite the script so I can get more strips when these run out. I'm guessing that if my levels are getting better throughout the day, my morning levels would go down and that would be what to test? Should I pick a different meal each day to test after and after a few weeks start the morning levels? Or maybe rotate meals/morning levels on a regular basis? IE today I tested 2 hrs after lunch, tomorrow dinner, then Thursday fasting, Fri breakfast?

Sorry this is so long and thank you bunches if anyone made it all the way through.

Missi

(my cousin photoshopped my avatar pic and somehow erased my double chin...believe me, I have one! LOL)
cmbmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #2  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi! I just wanted to say welcome. I don't have any info on diabetes though. But stick around here for all the motivation you need.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #3  

Height: 5.6

First and foremost - could you send me your cousin's magical eraser....

The schedule my doctor set for me when I was first diagnosed went like this:

I was testing 3 times a day - before meals

I honestly think that your morning testing (before eating) would be the most important - because that is going to be the closest to a fasting reading.

Hope this helps!
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi MISSY . . . I was diagnosed with type II better than 15 years ago and can understand what you are feeling right now.

We have an active Diabetes Support Forum on 3FC . . . here is a link to the forum . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=203 . . . first you will find some general information threads (Stickies) including one called "Getting to Know You" where some of the regulars have posted some background information. Then, if you scroll down you will find our regular monthly chat thread called "Dieting with Diabetes".

Hope you will join us over there, because it can really help to be able to chat with others who know exactly what you are facing. Everyone over there will be more than happy to discuss your questions with you.

See you soon . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

BTW . . . to answer some of your specific questions . . .

Metformin is the only oral diabetes medication that does not make you gain weight and I imagine that is why your doctor wants to try things that way first. I take Metformin and Glyburide and Actos and I also inject insulin twice a day. If you can get some of the weight off, you may be able to avoid other meds. Although insulin is definitely the most solid way to bring down your BGL readings, it really packs on the weight, especially around the abdomen. so don't be too anxious to start.

Personally, I think you should be testing your fasting BGL every morning and then taking at least one other reading during the course of the day. You want to keep your BGL as stable as possible throughout the day . . . meaning staying fairly well around the same numbers all the time when you test immediately before a meal. Testing within 2 hours of eating tells you something else -- how the meal you ate impacted on your sugar levels. Most doctors love it if they can get their patients to test more frequently so surely he'd be willing to renew the Rx for the supplies.

Put surgery out of your mind -- it still takes work to loss the weight -- check in the Weight Loss Surgery forum for more information. It should definitely be an absolute last resort for a diabetic because we do not heal as quickly or as easily as the average person and therefore are at higher risk of complications.

Once again, hope to see you in the Diabetes Forum and if you'd like to PM me, feel free.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #6  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Default Thanks

I saw the diabetes group after I had posted here. I immediately went and put all the links in one of the stickies in my favorites.

Surgery is the last thing on my mind. I've lurked on the surgery forum from time to time and see just what everyone is going through. I think that responsible people have to be stronger and more dedicated to go through surgery than just weight loss alone. This is not belittling people who are changing lifestyles only to lose weight. We all know that it is a slow, uphill battle too. It all takes commitment. And seeing how slowly I've started healing from minor injuries is scary. Can't imagine the recovery time from major surgery. (I'm pretty sure it impacted my nipple piercings too)
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Missi
cmbmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote