Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #1  
Hot Mama Wannabe!

S/C/G: 210/207/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Daily or every other day?

Is it better to work out every day or every other day to get the maximum results?
Mamato4under5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you are talking about cardio, every day will get the most results because you are burning more calories. If you are talking about weights, the specific muscle group you work out needs 2 days to rest usually, sometimes more.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

How often to work out depends on what you're doing and what results you want.

You may have heard something about every other day from weightlifting. It's not considered a good idea to lift weights with the same muscles 2 days in a row (muscles need time to recover), so many who lift weights do it no more than every other day. (There are exceptions if people work different muscles on different days).

For other types of exercise, like cardio and yoga, you certainly could exercise every day, though many people may not do it 7 days a week. It's recommended you get in a good cardio workout at least 2 or 3 times a week, but again, many do more.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #4  

Oh, Nelie beat me!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

You certainly don't need to start out exercising every day - you need to work up to it! If you've not exercised much before, or on a regular basis, start with a little every day or every other day. A lot of people start with just walking a little, and commit to walking a little further or longer the next time, building up their stamina. After a point you'll be able to do more and add more exercise. It's easy to get excited and jump into things and do too much too fast. You set yourself up for failure that way. I've found that starting slow and setting very achievable goals works best in the long run.

What Nelie and Wyellen have said is true, esp about leaving a day or 2 between weight lifting. Cardio you can work up to doing most days.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/218/175

Just have to say that my doctor told me that 1 hour of walking 6 days a week. When he said that I looked at him like he was mad...who has 1 hour a day (working 2 jobs and going to school, find me 1 hour I dare you).
Anyway, I took it to cut down on the calories and try working out 1/2 hour every day (hard on those days when the bed is so warm and the husband is so snuggable)
Angelmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #7  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

My trainer told me to leave 72 hours between working out hard on my legs, back and chest.
48 hours between everything else.
Abs can be done every day, but if you do too much, they can cause you to have a thickened waist.
Cardio every day, if desired. But at least 5 days a week.
BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezKnees View Post
Abs can be done every day, but if you do too much, they can cause you to have a thickened waist.
I never knew that! How?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I never knew that! How?
She said that building muscle might make your waist thicker than you want it to be. If I recall correctly, I think she was referring specifically to obliques. My goal is to slim and tone, not to have a 6 pack. I suppose if your goal is to appear muscular, that'd be alright. Of course, I have a lot of belly fat to lose before I have to start worrying about that.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #10  

As for a thick waist, we know that pound for pound, muscle takes up much less space than fat, so if you lose fat and gain muscle I wouldn't think your waist would be thicker -- only if you gain muscle and don't lose the fat...
Old 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #11  

Default Thick Waist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
As for a thick waist, we know that pound for pound, muscle takes up much less space than fat, so if you lose fat and gain muscle I wouldn't think your waist would be thicker -- only if you gain muscle and don't lose the fat...
Oh, my trainer's not talking about now, while I'm 20 pounds overweight and carry belly fat. She's talking about when I get down to my desired weight. If I overdo the abs, I may end up thicker around the middle; more straight-up-and-down, instead of the hourglass figure I'm working towards.

I think you'd really have to go ab-crazy to get too thick. Have an all-abs day at the gym, or do half an hour on abs every day. Lemme tell you, I don't think I'm in any danger of that.

Last edited by BeezKnees; 03-14-2007 at 02:50 PM.