Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #1  

Default What can't you do?

Alright, I've done a thread similiar to this one but it's been a while and I need another reminder...

So, what can't you do when you're overweight? Can't, as in physically and mentally. Things that you don't do, because of the weight.

1. Swim. I wouldn't be caught dead in a suit right now.
2. Wear a dress. Why, none my size are worth the buy!
3. Wear heels. They hurt.
4. Be in pictures.
5. Ride- I'd break the horse's back.
6. Anything on stage.

Man, the food is not worth it... Time to get back in the saddle again (literally!).
LivingWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #2  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Wow, all of your can'ts are pretty much mine. I LOVE to swim, but yeah right. I love dresses and heels, but again, yeah right. And I hate pictures, because the camera doesn't lie. Great motivation! I WANT to do these things.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Go to an amusement park and confidently ride ALL the rides without fear of not fitting in the seat/restraint. I haven't been on a roller coaster in YEARS because of this
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Nothing I can't do Well there are things I won't do like jump out of an airplane. I can swim though, wear heels, have pictures taken of me, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingWater View Post
So, what can't you do when you're overweight? Can't, as in physically and mentally. Things that you don't do, because of the weight.
1. Swim. I wouldn't be caught dead in a suit right now.
2. Wear a dress. Why, none my size are worth the buy!
3. Wear heels. They hurt.
4. Be in pictures.
5. Ride- I'd break the horse's back.
6. Anything on stage.
Heels hurt at any weight.

The only thing I can't do at my weight is look graceful doing yoga. I'm not sure it will ever be possible.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

Ditto on the heels and swimming. Well, I can't swim anyway. But if I could, I probably wouldn't. Heels pretty much kill me.

The rides, too. I'm dying to go to Six Flags with my boyfriend but I'm too self-conscious and there's the nagging fear that I might not fit into some (if not all) of the rides. *Sigh* Maybe next summer, hopefully.
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Sit comfortably at a baseball game...stadium seating wasn't designed for someone my size. Hence, my Baseball Opening Day mini goal! We visit a few stadiums each year and this year I want to be comfortable!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #8  

I can't be myself -- I am a very outgoing person but since I've gained weight I find myself introverting, due to my appearance.

I can't play with my kids like I want to (but this is getting better )
I can't comfortably get undressed in front of my SO without the lights off
I can't try on clothes at a store without getting sad
I can't wear a cute bathing suit.
But, these will all change soon for all of us!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #9  

Amusement park rides! Totally! Last year I went to Six Flags. I carefully selected each ride, everything depending on whether or not I could fit. One ride I couldn't fit into. At this weight on my ticker. My chest was too big, they couldn't fit the bar over it. However, my husband who weighed ten pounds more, fit just fine. I was so embarressed... NEVER AGAIN!
LivingWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:43 AM   #10  

I agree with all of these. Cedar Point was a little bit tough with my son last summer. Not too bad, though, because he's so young.

I think we're missing the bigger don't here. Who has skipped a doctor's appointment because you didn't want to step on the scale in the office? I have. I waited until I was coughing up blood to go in. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Good thing it was just a resp infection.
busysinglemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:48 AM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

The roller coasters. The last time I rode one I told the kid who was doing the bar,"Go ahead and push it down,fat squishes." He laughed,I laughed but I never got on another roller coaster. I have an almost 13 y.o. girl who has to ride alone because DH won't ride and I can't.
Swimming,playing with the kids,riding a bike...the rest of my family rides every summer and my butt is just too big to be comfortable on the seat. Oh and Omnimax. The last time I went I tried to sit in the middle...those seats are much smaller thamn the end seats. We had to move because my butt wasn't going to go in. On an end seat I fit but was horribly uncomfortable.
Gosh there's some motivation for ya' huh?(lol)
penor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by penor View Post
The roller coasters. The last time I rode one I told the kid who was doing the bar,"Go ahead and push it down,fat squishes." He laughed,I laughed but I never got on another roller coaster. I have an almost 13 y.o. girl who has to ride alone because DH won't ride and I can't.
Swimming,playing with the kids,riding a bike...the rest of my family rides every summer and my butt is just too big to be comfortable on the seat. Oh and Omnimax. The last time I went I tried to sit in the middle...those seats are much smaller thamn the end seats. We had to move because my butt wasn't going to go in. On an end seat I fit but was horribly uncomfortable.
Gosh there's some motivation for ya' huh?(lol)
I'm with you on the rides.I feel so bad for my son when he asks(haven't gone to a big amusement park yet,just the small ones)me or my husband to go on with him.I just can't put myself out there yet to try and see if I'll fit On the bike rides though...I went out and bought myself a new bike,and a seat that would fit my arse as well.I also lug around my(last year 4 yr.old,this yr 5)son on a http://www.rybabikes.com/tag.html(similar,but never know what to call it) .So,I didn't mind getting a bigger seat,since now we can go out and head places without having to get in the car.

My "dont's"(cant really cant's because I can on most) are:
1.Snow skiing...the rental boots are killer on my fat calves
2.Dresses...just don't like the styles and how they look on me
3.The beach...yeah,me in a swimsuit,ha!I will swim at my friends though
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
I can't be myself -- I am a very outgoing person but since I've gained weight I find myself introverting, due to my appearance.

I can't play with my kids like I want to (but this is getting better )
I can't comfortably get undressed in front of my SO without the lights off
I can't try on clothes at a store without getting sad
I can't wear a cute bathing suit.
But, these will all change soon for all of us!!!
OMG! You wrote my post for me!!! It is uncanny how alike we are.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

When I first saw this post, I avoided it because I thought it was a bit negative to think about things we can't do. But then I read it and I thought...this is actually quite inspiring!! It's great to talk about the stuff we struggle with now, so we can look forward to a time when those things are NOT struggles. It's hard to just ignore the fact that some things ARE more difficult when you're considerably overweight, and it's inspiring to think about how committing to our goals will eliminate some of those difficulties from our lives! So thanks for posting this!!

Here's a list of stuff I couldn't do at 275:

*fit comfortably in a student desk in my classroom
*ride the swings at an amusement park without one of those "extender" thingies (embarrassing)
*run or jog for more than one or two minutes without practically collapsing
*breathe comfortably going up stairs or walking a reasonable distance
*go to social gatherings without feeling bad for being the biggest person in the room
*feel proud next to my good looking husband instead of feeling like people wonder why he's with me

Now I feel confident and proud, I can fit in normal-size desks and seats, and I can run for over an hour straight. Is there stuff I still can't do? Sure. I still wouldn't be caught dead in a swimsuit. I still can't tuck a shirt into my pants without worrying that everyone is marveling at the enormity of my stomach. I still can't go sleeveless. But I feel fantastic.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been very heavy all of my life, and I LOVE swimming, so I got over my fear of being seen in a swimming suit (at least once I'm in the water, I know it's transparent, but I feel appropriately "covered" in the water). There are so many things that I truly can't do because of my weight and health issues, that I'm learning to overcome my "cant's" that are mental barriers not physical.

Last summer my husband and I bought bikes. This was a big TEST of my new outlook, because it was much worse than swimming - no protective water - so I felt ridiculous riding the bike at first. I was imagining anyone who saw me laughing or puking. I don't know any of the neighbors (a very ritzy neighborhood on the lake - our reasonable rent apartment building definitely is out of place), so I felt both more self-conscious and less (at least I wouldn't run into anyone I knew). Surprisingly, these "snooty" (my prejudice) neighbors didn't laugh (at least not to my face, which is all I care about), they even started to smile and wave (especially the middle-aged morning walkers), and by the end of summer I was even comfortable enough to stop at a neighbor's garage sale with my husband (on our bikes!), and chat with the owners.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote