Old 03-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #1  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Talk to me about steel cut oats...

In another thread, I asked a question about steel cut oats, but didn't hear back. Can someone tell me more about it? I wondered if you can find it easily (I haven't looked yet). What are the benefits of "steel cut" versus rolled? Does it taste good (similar to regular rolled oats)? How do you fix it? Does it take long to fix? What effects do you get from it that you really like?

Thanks!!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I love them. They take about 15 minutes to fix and they taste the same as rolled oats but the texture is much different. There is more to chew...rather than just "mush". I like to eat them with cinnamon and organic brown sugar and a little bit of skim milk. VERY filling. I do not know what/if any benefits vs. rolled....I just prefer them.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #3  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Talking Hi Diane...

My DH and I have this debate about oats--he likes the rolled better and when we compare nutritionally Steel oats have maybe 1 extra gram of fiber. They are what is recommended in the You on a Diet book and I have been trying to follow that. After some trial and error, I find it easiest to make it right before bed. I boil 4 cups of water and then add 1 cup of oats. I boil that for 5 minutes while stirrIng quite a bit. Then I stick a cover on it and leave til morning. It is ready breakfast with a little bit of milk, mixed with apples or berries and walnuts. Sometimes I sweeten it with a little bit of Stevia. I could never go all morning without munching now I remind myself to eat lunch most days. HTH

Kathy
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #4  

The steel cut oats are less refined, so they are not only the healthier choice (less processing means the oats retain more nutrients) but they do help to keep you feeling full for longer. I recently started adding them toasted to a meusli - you just combine plain yogurt with mixed fruit, some vanilla or spice if you like, and the toasted steel cut oats. Let the mixture stand for a while, then eat - it's really delicious, filling, and SO good for you. The oats add great crunch!

I also (taking a cue from someone here) stir a little peanut butter into cooked SC oats - very tasty!! I find they have a much nicer texture than regular oats - a little chewy, but in a good way.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #5  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Where do you BUY them?

It seems that they should be generally available but I don't think I've seen them before.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #6  

Bob's Red Mill makes them - I've seen that particular brand almost everywhere, from pretty small market-type stores all the way up to the biggies.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:55 PM   #7  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Kathy, question about your recipe! When you get up in the morning, what is the consistancy of your oatmeal? Sounds goofy, I know, but I like my oatmeal REALLY thick, almost solid, lol. By determining how thick yours is, I'll know if I need to adjust your amounts just a bit! THANKS!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #8  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Buy them online......
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #9  
someday, we all hope!

S/C/G: 253/185/145

Height: 5'7"

I recently found them at Superstore, under the PC - Blue Label heading, beside all the other kinds of oats. Of course I don't know if Canadian Superstores stock exactly the same as American, but it's worth a try!
I find that 2/3 c. of oats to 3 c. water does me for 2 mornings, and it's pretty thin; you might try half that water,as a start.
becoming wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I find them over in the organic section...with the organic flours, seeds, etc...
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I use the Bob's Red Mill brand here too. Krogers had them on sale this week, I bought every bag that was on the shelf! My ratio is 3 cups of water to 1 cup of the oats, cook over low for 15 min. They are very thick that way. I make a mess of them on Sunday for the week and just reheat in the microwave with 1/2 cup of berries and 1/4 t. cinnamon, and 1/4 t. agave nectar - YUMMM!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #12  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlove View Post
Bob's Red Mill makes them - I've seen that particular brand almost everywhere, from pretty small market-type stores all the way up to the biggies.
Thanks, I've seen that brand around!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #13  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Talking Kelly......

It is quite thick. In fact, I add some skim milk to thin it out a bit. It really is very tasty!

I get organic oats at Trader Joes. I also have found General Mills Steel oats at Stop N Shop.

Kathy
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote