Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default foods I've never tried.. but am thinking about trying..

You would be amazed at what foods I've never tried. It wasn't till I was in my early 20's that I tried sour cream... cream cheese.... mayo.. (okay - maybe I should never have tried these..lol)
In the past year I just tried avocados. I was afraid before. They looked like Kermit the frog's guts.. but they are really yummy. And the fat is the good fat.. yeah!

There is such a huge.. I mean huge list of foods still!

I'm thinking about spinach. And not the canned stuff.. that reminds me of Poyeye and it looks nasty. What should I do with it? Can I cook it with other foods? ie. baked chicken .. you know, hide it incase I don't like it.

Are there foods out there you are curious about trying?

ps. I posted this on my regular board (100 club) just though you all might have some ideas.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

Hey there
You should try definitely spinach, and I love it with chicken. What I do is take a piece of tin foil and put a little olive oil on it. Then I take a big handful of washed spinach and put it on the oil. Spice up a chicken breast and set it on top of the spinach. Wrap it up and bake it so that the chicken steams itself and stays nice and moist and the spinach cooks down. Its a great, low- calorie meal. Try It!
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #3  

Well, since this is a new veggie to you, it might be less scary to hide it in something at first and then try it on it's own. A really good place to try it "hidden" would be in meatloaf or a turkey burger. Just chopped some fresh spinach up really fine and add it to your meatloaf. Or else pound a chicken breast flat, add in some cooked spinach and low fat cheese (feta is really good), sun dried tomatoes and seasonings. Roll up , secure with toothpicks and saute on the stove top in a little olive oil

I really recommend fresh spinach over frozen and baby spinach is less tough and I think a little milder than the bigger stuff. Once you get braver, a salad with fresh spinach, chicken, red seedless grapes and a light ranch or blue chese dressing is wonderful. Or cooked - add a little olive oil to a pan, add some minced garlic then the raw spinach and cook til it starts to wilt.. then toss in some pine nuts, walnuts, almonds.. etc and some seasonings you like.

I really think that we can like most veggies we try. it's just a matter of finding ways to make them that we like. Roasting is a wonderful way to eat veggies, but doesn't work well for spinach 'cuz it would burn and char up in about 5 minutes
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I made some spinach cheese enchiladas and they were pretty good.

I'm not good at measuring but I'll give you the gist of it:

- Lowfat/skim ricotta cheese (1 pint? I'm not sure may need more)
- Lowfat/skim mozarella cheese (4 cups? probably sounds good)
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained (or more)
- Package of frozen spinach, slightly thawed. I recommend frozen spinach from Trader Joe's as it is individually frozen but any will do.
- Some chili spice, could even mix in some chunky salsa

Mix all the above together (save about 1 cup of mozarella for the end). Get some corn tortillas, put the filling in the corn tortilla, roll up the corn tortilla and place in a baking dish. (9 x 11 will do). Once the baking dish is filled, cover with a can of enchillada sauce, I recommend green. Then top with some mozarella cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes or so.

I also just found this recipe which sounds interesting. It is for broccoli and spinach enchiladas:

http://www.cajun-recipes.com/html/vegetable/41890.htm
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Charbar ~ go to my SPINACH LASAGNA thread! Here in california we pick avocados off the trees and eat them like oranges...well, almost.

Last edited by EZMONEY; 03-12-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: can't spell
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Having your own avacado tree must be so fantastic!!! We love avacado around here. Especially my kids. They could just cut one up and eat it with a spoon. I try to keep them to a minimum because they are so caloric. Yes, I know it's GOOD fat, but nevertheless.

I mash it up with some fresh garlic, a little salt and the juice of a lemon. And serve it with cut up veggies. Of course the kids eat it with tortilla chips.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

We love baby spinach in our salads! We were also looking at trying this burger that had spinach in it, the picture looked so YUMMY...........need to go back to the library and find that recipe!
Quote:
Charbar ~ go to my SPINACH LASAGNA thread! Here in california we pick avocados off the trees and eat them like oranges...well, almost.
MMMM....spinach lasagna!!
I thought for sure that I would LOVE avocados since I LOVE guacamole........I couldn't stand them I spent a summer in Spain after I graduated HS and there were fresh avocados all the time. Fun to pick, but never could eat it raw by itself.

I know I've had pomegranites when I was little, but I don't remember if I liked them....they smell good! I've been meaning to grab a couple to try!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love a salad made of baby spinach, strawberries, cucumbers, sea salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar (get the expensive stuff).

If you don't like spinach, try swiss chard. When cooked, it is like a mild version of spinach. You can use it in any recipe that calls for spinach. I like it sauted with onions, garlic, and red wine vinegar. My SO won't eat spinach but really likes swiss chard.

I also recently tried baked sweet potatoes and cannot believe I wasted my whole life eating white potatoes. The sweet potatoes are so much better! I put a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and non-fat cream cheese on them.

My new vegetable to try next week is kohlrabi. I tried a sample at the farmers' market last Saturday and it was surprising good. I haven't figured out what I am going to do with it yet, I may just eat it raw in salads.

I also recently was shocked to discover just how low in calories asparagus is. Only 6 calores per ounce! There's going to be a lot of asparagus in my future!

Also on my list of things I'd like to figure out what to do with are blood oranges (in season at the farmers' market now) and beets. I think I may try to make some sort of tuna salad with the oranges (hmmm, maybe I could add avocado to it).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #9  
LLV

There's really not much I'm itching to try. Except pomegranites!

Did I spell that right? It doesn't look right.

I've always wanted to try one of those things.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/176/135

Height: 5' 6"

I have tried just about everything..BUT retrying things...I've noticed that things I thought I hated I do love now...tastes change as I get older.

For example...Mushrooms...I grew up HATING THEM!! probably was my top #1 hated food...now I just love them soooo much could eat them everyday!!

There are some "bad" foods I'd love to try or taste but just wont for fear I will love them so much and want them all the time....
Justme33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Things that I have tried now and like that I had never before tried are. Corn on the cob without butter and a baked sweet potato with nothing on it. I learned that these are sweet enough for my taste without butter or any kind of sugar on them. I learned that I love asparagus. I did try artichokes and didn't care for them.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
There's really not much I'm itching to try. Except pomegranites!

Did I spell that right? It doesn't look right.

I've always wanted to try one of those things.
I adore pomegranates, but you just missed the season! (they are cheap/readily available from Oct - Jan or so). They are wonderful but SUCH a mess! I usually buy 2-3 big ones and de-seed them all at once. They spray purple juice EVERYWHERE so don't wear anything nice while you are doing this. I use a knife to cut through the rind, and then pull the globes into sections. Then I hold the sections under running water over a collander and pop out the seeds - tossing all of the white membrane stuff from inside. Takes awhile, but worth it.

The seeds are sweetly tart and kind of chewy, it doesn't really taste like anything else. The last time I was at Trader Joe's they were selling pomegranate seeds in the produce aisle (2.99 a package). Might be a good way to see if you like them before going through all the work!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

I love cold sweet potatoes with nothing on them. When I was a kid we would go every summer to visit my grandmother in Tennessee, she always had a baking sheet with sweet potatoes waiting for me. I'd peel them and eat the like a piece of fruit. Sweet memories. I haven't had a pomegranate in years, I'll have to pick some up.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #14  

Sharon-- Cold as in raw, or as in cooked and cooled? I'm intrigued.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote