Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #1  

Default Need inspirational book

Alright, so I've got a book in mind but I have no idea if it's exists (who knows maybe I need to write it).

1. A down-to-earth weightloss journey from a woman's life.
2. A lot of weight lost ( no 10 pounds).
3. No special diet pill.
4. Preferrably someone of Faith.

Anyone read a book that was anything like this? Thank you in advance!
LivingWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Check into the woman that wrote the "Weigh Down" weight loss series. I know she is a woman of faith, I know she doesn't recommend pills or special diets. I'm not sure about how much weight she has or hasn't lost. I don't know if she wrote a book or just this series of videos and study guide that I've seen before. My church offered it as one of their discipleship classes at one point and lots of women REALLY loved it.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #3  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Passing for Thin

About 2 years ago, I read a book called "Passing for Thin" by Frances Kuffel. It's a great story about how the author lost about 170 lbs and the obstacles she faced as a thin person vs. her former fat self. I enjoyed it because she wrote not just about HOW she lost the weight, but also WHAT her life was like afterwards, including her struggles with maintenance, fitting in, romance, buying clothes, etc. She was definitely a compulsive eater, and explained how she had been obese since early childhood. She did not talk much about the plan she used to lose weight, but focused more on the gradual change in her body over time. This personal account was unflinchingly honest and direct -- but also very upbeat.

I recommend it highly.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I liked the book Passing for Thin, but didn't like her approach (she did talk about it - and it was really really rigid). After that book, she gained all the weight back and is in the process of writing another book about her experiences with weight re-gain.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

How about Thin Within by Judy Halliday?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I liked the book Passing for Thin, but didn't like her approach (she did talk about it - and it was really really rigid). After that book, she gained all the weight back and is in the process of writing another book about her experiences with weight re-gain.
Oh, noooo!! I didn't know that! That's really sad. I do remember when I read the book thinking that her plan had been pretty inflexible. Wow, she worked so hard. I guess that's further support (as if we needed it) for the theory that how you lose it is how you're going to keep it off.....so it has to be sustainable for you over the long term.

Sorry, LivingWater, that was the book I would have recommended. I'd still give it a read, though, because there was a great deal in her story that was moving, motivating, and valuable.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 231/219/160

Height: 5'2 "

I wouldn't recommend the Weigh Down series- Gwen only had 20 pounds of her own to lose, and I understand the church she created has become something of a cult.
jrenzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #8  

Have you read any books by Geneen Roth? She is an inspirational read, in my opinion, although it's been a while since I read any of her books. I don't recall that she focused on faith at all but she sure did have a lot of weight to lose and talks about her journey and how she did it.
avsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote