Old 03-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #1  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Question New here-question about "biggest loser" diet book

Hi, I've lurked on these forums before and enjoy reading all the experiences/ideas and everything that all the members post. I did follow WW a few years ago and managed to lose 40 lbs until someone asked if I was sick, then it all came back and more. I haven't made a serious attempt to change my lifestyle until now as work is offering an opportunity to lose weight following the "biggest loser".

I have a question as to whether anyone has ever read the book or tried following the diet? I've never watched the show and didn't know there was a book until our nurse brought it to our attention. We'll be given a free copy of the book when the program starts in April but I would like to know if you all feel that it is a worthwhile program to follow? There's no strange rules or ideas that would be considered extreme? The whole thing will be set up as a contest between the different regions of my employer with the goal being for a region to have lost the highest percentage of bodyweight. The nurses in each region would know the actual pounds and BMIs but no one else would. It is targeted at the ones who are well out of their healthy weight ranges, but the ones who are in the correct weight range can participate as 'coaches' and "cheerleaders" Not sure how I feel about that since we all know that naturally thin people don't neccessarily eat correctly/healthfully. Any feed back on the book/diet would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Missi
cmbmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #2  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I have the book and it's one of my favorites. I think it has a well balanced diet plan. There are a handful of books that I really like and this is one of them. I don't think it does anything out of the ordinary or extreme. I like it because half the program is diet and the other half is exercise. They focus on both about the same amount.

Good luck!
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #3  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

I agree. Great book. Great plan.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #4  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Default Thanks

I'm glad there's nothing funky or extreme about that book. Is it basically counting calories? I've already signed up with fitday and have been logging into that the past two days.

Apparently the nurses for each region are going to see if they can get discounts, etc for the participants so we can get together and have days where we work out at a gym/do a spinning class/walking x amount of minutes as a group. Then there will be the personal accountability to eat right, get in the exercise requirements. The nurse thinks I'm a big motivator and was very enthusiastic when she cordinated our version of the STEPtember program so was thrilled when I agreed to do this too.

I've even gone so far as to make a physical appointment with my Dr for tomorrow morning since we need to sign a waiver before doing this. (work wants healthy employees but doesn't want liability :P) I don't think he'll be happy with my glucose levels since I've yet to remember to take my metformin, but if I can bring them down during this program and keep them down he might not get too mad.

Thanks for the feedback!
cmbmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote