Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Lightbulb foods I've never tried... but am thinking about..

You would be amazed at what foods I've never tried. It wasn't till I was in my early 20's that I tried sour cream... cream cheese.... mayo.. (okay - maybe I should never have tried these..lol)
In the past year I just tried avocados. I was afraid before. They looked like Kermit the frog's guts.. but they are really yummy. And the fat is the good fat.. yeah!

There is such a huge.. I mean huge list of foods still!

I'm thinking about spinach. And not the canned stuff.. that reminds me of Poyeye and it looks nasty. What should I do with it? Can I cook it with other foods? ie. baked chicken .. you know, hide it incase I don't like it.

Are there foods out there you are curious about trying?
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Start off simple, Dana. Add fresh spinach to your salads. Excellent dark green veggie benefits! I love it sauteed with just about anything and put on a whole wheat tortilla.

I'm considering asparagus. Several people on here seem to like it. I've only had it once in my life...and it was from a can....BLEH!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Fresh spinach (and asparagus!) are both on my grocery list every week these days. I eat spinach just about everyday. I throw some in my salad, I put a bunch of spinach leaves on my sandwiches (instead of lettuce) and I love it sauteed in a tiny bit of olive oil with some fresh garlic! YUMM!

Asparagus - I even eat this raw too! Cut the thick stems off and it is great! I eat it in stir frys, steamed in the microwave, roasted, you name it!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 315/300/130

I have this thing against vegetables that I'm trying to get over. It's like a weird gag reflex, but I'm certain it's psychological. So I'm trying to get over it slowly.

Spinach is surprisingly one of those veggies that I've learned to be able to enjoy.

I like to saute it with a little bit of olive oil and garlic. It goes nice spread on a thin slice of baguette or toast. I was surprised. It doesn't look so appetizing, but it has a nice flavor and complements a lot of things.

I had some cooked carrots last night. It was a huge step forward (god, I feel just like a 6 year old), and I actually liked them. My fiance wants me to try brocoli, but I am having trouble eating something that smells so terrible. I know, I'm sure it's delicious, but I can't make myself do it.
FilmGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's easier to get my nephews (2 and 5) to eat fruits and vegetables than my husband. Though surprisingly the ones he likes are not the ones you would think a veggie-hater would eat (like broccoli).

My theory is to "cover them up" even in unhealthy ways until he gets used to them (Just like with a kid - dip helps, and now he at least likes fat-free ranch dressing).

Once I started pushing him a bit (not quite nagging, but pretty close), he
would eat one or two slices of a piece of fruit I was eating, if I offered it to him, and he likes canned pineapple and pears. He's coming around, but it's a slow process, and I often resort to hiding them in meatloaves, cooking meat in V-8, and making soups with V-8 and a lot of veggies (it's surprising what he will eat in a soup as long as there's some meat in it, though there's still usually a little pile of one or two veggies he's eaten around).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #6  

I'm thinking about hummus but I've been "thinking" about it for awhile. It'll have to be one of those occasional things but the name just kinda makes me go ,"UGH!"(lol) Since I don't really do any crackers anymore I don't know what I'd do with it but I (think) I'd like to try it. (?)
penor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 315/300/130

Hummus is yummy with toasted pita.
FilmGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7

On the spinach note, another good way to have it is in your soups. Just place a hand full at the bottom of the bowl, and pour your soup over. Excellent way to get some veggie power, without the major taste. Works with my fussy nephew too!

But a food I've beenb considering trying again....clams. Couldnt stand the texture as a kid, or the taste...but I figure it may have changed since? Not the taste of the clams, but my taste buds! lol
SereneChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #9  

Clams are awesome, in my opinion! I love them sauteed in their own juice with garlic, green pepper, onion, and mushrooms...and served over whole wheat pasta.

Hummus is good on raw vegetables. Especially carrots and celery!

Mrs. Q. I LOVE spinach on sandwiches!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

OMG, some of my favorite foods you mentioned. I love spinach. I sautee it with garlic and then put a grilled chicken cutlet over it. I use it in stir frys and I use baby spinach in salads.

Asparagus is my new favorite find. I make it roasted. so easy. I cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray it with PAm. Wash and trim the ends of the asparagus and place it on the sheet, sprinkle it with a little salt, onion powder and garlic powder, Spray a little more cooking spray. Cook at 400 or so for about 10 -12 minutes. Delicious at only 3.6 calories a stalk and 1 gm of fiber - good stuff.

Hummus, another yummy one. Just watch how much you eat it adds up quickly. I make myself a veggie platter, cucumber spears, baby carrots, peppers, grape tomatoes, celery stick and just dip away. Yummy.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #11  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

This is a great topic!

My daughter is always begging me to buy different veggies to try. Artichokes and eggplant are the main ones. I would but I have no idea how to fix them. Does anyone have any suggestions?
The lunch ladies at school call her veggie girl. She always goes back for seconds.
The roasted asparagus sounds like something she would love. She eats it buts it always canned.

I had always wanted to try hummus. I did and loved it!

Quote:
I eat spinach just about everyday. I throw some in my salad, I put a bunch of spinach leaves on my sandwiches (instead of lettuce)
I do too.

Quote:
making soups with V-8
I also make chili and spaghetti sauce with V8.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #12  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Default Great thread!

I am a pretty good veggie eater. I have add Kale to my menu since Jan. It is another great for you green leafy veggie. I am so glad I gave steel oats another try. I tasted them last year and just couldn't eat them. Now I can't start my morning without them!
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
It's easier to get my nephews (2 and 5) to eat fruits and vegetables than my husband. Though surprisingly the ones he likes are not the ones you would think a veggie-hater would eat (like broccoli).
You know, there must be something about broccoli because most veggies make me literally physically gag, but I don't mind some cooked broccoli (not plain, of course, but with some sort of sauce or something).

I'd like to find a good lower-calorie tortilla. I used to buy the "La Tortilla" brand, but I can't find them anywhere anymore. I have compared many of the tortillas on the shelves and in the refrigerated cases of my grocery stores (multiple times--you know how you always hope something has magically changed from one week to the next ), but they all seem so high in calories for the size of the food.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
You know, there must be something about broccoli because most veggies make me literally physically gag, but I don't mind some cooked broccoli (not plain, of course, but with some sort of sauce or something).

I'd like to find a good lower-calorie tortilla. I used to buy the "La Tortilla" brand, but I can't find them anywhere anymore. I have compared many of the tortillas on the shelves and in the refrigerated cases of my grocery stores (multiple times--you know how you always hope something has magically changed from one week to the next ), but they all seem so high in calories for the size of the food.

I just bought some La Tortilla Factory tortillas at Kroger. Instead of being with the other tortillas they were over in the produce section. Where they keep the egg roll wraps and the TVP products. You might try looking there at your local market....
Old 03-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #15  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

What exactly is hummas? or do I want to know?
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote