Old 03-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #1  

Default How do you pull through the CRAVINGS???

I can't take this any longer. I do really really good for several days or even a week at a time but then the cravings hit and I can't seem to keep control. For me it's chocolate. I crave it after every meal. Every one. I eat really healthy otherwise. I don't particularly eat, or even like, most processed foods so I'm not having issues with chips or fast food or ice cream or any of those things. Just chocolate. I tried keeping chocolate out of the house but then I binge on a zillion other things because I'm trying to eat my way through the craving by eating something else. If I keep it in the house then it's doomsday after the first bite. I eat it all. It is such a strong craving and I don't know what to do to get through it. Are any of you on low carb diets? I hate the idea of doing that because fruit is my favorite thing on earth and I know it's generally restricted on low carb diets but I have to wonder if a good couple weeks of low carb would help to kick these cravings. Although I'm still not sure how to get through them when they hit.

Any suggestions???? I need help! (It's 8:20 am and I've already had half of a chocolate bar...dark chocolate, 73% cocoa)
avsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #2  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

After 3 month of no suger, I lost all my cravings
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

What worked for me was to cut all junk (processed food and sugar) out of my eating. It only took about a week for me to get over the sugar cravings ~ and I was a HUGE sweets eater. The only processed food I eat now are a couple of different kinds of the veggie burgers. (and I am going to find a recipe to make my own so I don't eat those too)

I now eat one ounce of dark chocolate every few days now, and that is enough for me. There are times when I don't even have that - and to me, it is like a miracle.

I know there are some who say that they can't live forever without having some of the "old foods" - I made up my mind I won't live forever eating that stuff anyhow, and I am much happier having removed it from my life. It has just made a huge difference for me doing it the extreme way.

You need to figure out what will work for you and run with it!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I am a recovering sugaraholic. I overcame the cravings with the Southbeach diet. I can now eat 1 or 2 pieces of fruit a day without throwing myself into a sugar binge. I had a small piece of birthday cake last weekend. It was almost too sweet for me to eat and it literally gave me a head rush within minutes! I dont miss sweets and I don't crave them anymore.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I too have a chocolate addiction, along with a carb addiction and it is VERY hard for me to not have something sweet after meals, especially dinner. I can definately relate to the binging because you dont have chocolate. What seems to work best for me is to buy a chocolate that i "sort of" like. I cant buy my favorites or, like you, i will eat them until they are gone. But if i buy a type of chocolate that is my least favorite i can stop at one or two. For me, that is tootsie rolls. It is just enough chocolate to curb my craving, but yet, i dont like them enough to eat the whole bag. Where as if it were brownies or a hershey bar, i would eat it until it were gone. So try to find a chocolate that you like the least and see if you can stop at one or two.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #6  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I think you just have to focus on a short term goal. You say you can make it several days or up to a week. So aim for a week and a half. It will get a lot easier once you have the sugar out of your system. Once your body can equal itself out you won't feel the constant urge to get your sugar levels up. Get the sugar out of your house if you have to. Don't buy it (eat before you go grocery shopping if it helps you resist buying the stuff)... You need to let your body detox-- which isn't easy. This may sound stupid but if you think of someone who is a drug addict, for example, their bodies are used to getting that drug on a regular basis. It goes through withdrawls until they get their next fix. It works the same for someone who is addicted to food or addicted to sugar.. you need to get it out of your system. (It WILL be Hard but it WILL get Easier and it WILL be worth it!) ... Maybe distract yourself when you get a craving. Perhaps you should keep a food journal and track what it triggering your cravings, perhaps its really an emotional need you are feeding. Just some things to think about. I hope it helps.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I'm mostly with the whole foods camp. However, I completely understand your chocolate issue. What has worked for me is a box of Healthy Choice frozen chocolate bars in my freezer. I RARELY eat one because to me it's enough just knowing they're there...and that if I really need to satisfy a craving I can do it healthily. I think MANY cravings are based on a control issue...so if you even have control of your chocolate issues (a safety net, if you will) then you might feel a lot better. I can't tell you how many times I've really wanted that chocolate after dinner, realized they're in there and I can go have one if I want (for only 90 calories...not the END of the world) and then I just wait a few minutes. Typically, the want goes away...and if it doesn't...I eat the bar and feel GREAT that it wasn't a Snickers! hahaha
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #8  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Default Hugs!!!

I also love chocolate. Here is what is working for me. Each night around 7:30 or 8:00pm (before starting the kids' bedtime routine) I make a cup of Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa. Then I find a peaceful (relatively) spot and sit and drink it. I really focus on enjoying that 25 cal treat. When the weather gets warm I will switch to the diet Fudgicles. Knowing that I am finishing my day with that treat is enough for me.
Also I journal all of my food choices. Each night that I stay on plan I write the number and circle it. So today I am Day 67 on plan. For some reason that number going up every day means so very much to me. It reminds me that it truly is MY choice to stay on plan.
Perhaps you need to add a little chocolate to your plan. Make a healthy trailmix with some nuts, whole grain cereal and semisweet chocolate chips. Lots of hugs and good wishes to you!
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #9  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Lightbulb Ooh I thought of another idea!

If that chocolate is really calling you put it off. Tell yourself you have to go walk for 30 min before you eat it, when you get back the craving might be gone. If not tell yourself that you have to drink a liter of water before you have it. If you keep telling yourself that you will have it just "later" it may not have so much power over you! Does that help?
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #10  

I always had a sweet at night.. after time went on I did not have to have it every night.. But for the most part I did have a treat.. The 100 calorie snacks worked for me.. the slim fast bars was a wonderful treat I looked forward to every night..
The 45 calorie fudge pops did wonders for me..
BUT I never went over my set calories for the day..
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #11  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hubby and I are both chocolate addicts too and we do similar to what Get n Healthy does... we buy a nice quality dark chocolate that tastes good is rich and satisfying and then have one piece. Honestly, this particular brand we get Green & Blacks, neither one of us could eat the entire bar if we wanted to. It's just too rich and you start feeling sick after too many pieces. One bar usually lasts us a week, we get our fix without too many calories.

Then again we don't really deprive ourselves. If we want ice cream, we'll get one of the small ones, and that's our treat for the week. when it's gone it's gone. usually hubby scarfs his down and then regrets it when he sees me having like 5 or 6 servings out of it. wanting to get my fix every day keeps me from going crazy and eating the entire thing at once.

I have decided that cutting things out just doesn't work for me or my husband. it just makes us eventually give up on whatever diet we are on at the time. we've been doing the "don't eat so damn much, and move your butt" diet for several months.. it's slow but it's steady i'm down 20 and he's down about 50 (stupid men).
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/270s/120

Height: 5'1"

This may sound really weird but the way I pull through cravings is doing some physical activity. For example, let's say I've had lunch. In the past, an hour or two after lunch, I'd have the urge to eat something heavy in fat and sugar (like Snickers, etc). These days, when I get a craving, I work out. Like I march in place for a while as fast as I can go for one mile (or go walk for a mile). Or any other physical activity. I don't know why but after a few minutes of moderate physical activity, the cravings vanish, just like that.

Something about raising your levels of serotonin or something. Or you could go outside and bask in the sunshine for a few minutes, maybe ten minutes. That would raise your serotonin level as well.
Dawn2Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I agree with a lot of the things that the other ladies are saying.

BUT : If I am having an extreme craving for chocolate or anything else, (especially during that time of the month) I will make sure that I eat whatever I am craving. If I don't, then I will go off and eat anything and everything else, which in the long run is worse than eating what I was craving.

However, I make sure that I try and do extra minutes on the treadmill or walk around the house more. Anything to make up for it.

Just remember to account for what you do eat.

If you must have the chcolate, do it in moderation!!!

Like someone else said, walk before you eat it (or any type of exercise) and by that time your craving or hunger is gone.

Cravings tend to hit the hardest when you are just sitting around doing nothing or are during an emotional issue. Someone else said keep a journal (GREAT IDEA) and be sure to note the reasoning (or emotions) for eating.

Just continue to work hard!

GOOD LUCK
cldavis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #14  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchs2007 View Post
I always had a sweet at night.. after time went on I did not have to have it every night.. But for the most part I did have a treat.. The 100 calorie snacks worked for me.. the slim fast bars was a wonderful treat I looked forward to every night..
The 45 calorie fudge pops did wonders for me..
BUT I never went over my set calories for the day..

Dang those 100 cal snacks if i had control.....they are evil!
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Ok, here's where I say something very unpopular....

Have the chocolate!! After lots of my meals, I have a bite of chocolate (dark chocolate is of course best for your health) or a York peppermint patty or two (the small ones). I don't call ANY food forbidden...I just call a certain calorie range forbidden. So I don't have to freak out about my cravings. I give into them, but with small amounts so that I never go over my calories for the day. It's the only thing that works for me, and it might be what works for you. When and if I stop losing weight, I'll revisit the idea of eating completely unprocessed and clean foods and never giving in to other cravings. But as long as I'm consistently losing my way toward my goal, I'm going to enjoy my chocolate when I want it. I kind of think I deserve a taste of chocolate after running 5 flipping miles. Honestly...I can't remember the last time I went over my calories, but I can't remember the last time I felt deprived either.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote