Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #1  
_________

Default Best small, portable MP3 player???

I'm going to be buying a small, portable MP3 player soon. I need something I can easily clip onto my belt so I can wear it while exercising (getting tired of bulky CD players that skip)

So, I've been over to epinions.com/MP3_and_Digital_Media_Players to read reviews and that looks like an all day job in itself.

Does anyone have any recommendations, based on experience (meaning you are currently using the unit you are recommending), for one of these?

I wanted to keep the budget at about $150, or less and I'd like to get one that has a battery that can be changed by the user (I understand that this eliminates the iPod)

Any links to something you would recommend would be appreciated as I want to research whatever I buy before I buy it.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #2  
Skinny Chick in Training

S/C/G: 191/178-182???/145

Height: 5' 9"

Ok I am cheap I bought one off tiger direct with a rebate and ended up paying something like $20 .... I like it alot because of that haha
Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: s/c/g: 173/167.8/130

Height: 5'4

Actually, you can get an iPod for about 150$. Check out the Apple website. I have actually (sadly) bought two other mp3 players and I hated them. The iPod is a lot easier to use, in my opinion, and the nano is very small. If your a runner, you can even purchase a kit with a chip that fits into nike shoes that will track your runs and running stats. You can purchase a thing that would keep it around your arm, and I'm sure they also have a belt clip on the apple website.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #4  
_________

Thanks, I'll check out Tiger Direct.
I totally forgot about those guys.

I don't want an iPod because when the battery goes out, you have to buy a whole new unit. (owners cannot change out the battery because it's designed to be un-servicable)
Old 03-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #5  
Skinny Chick in Training

S/C/G: 191/178-182???/145

Height: 5' 9"

I got the little red cylinder one (dont know the brand LOL) my hubby got a square black one. The red one only takes one AAA battery and lasts alot longer than his which takes 2! Be sure to check the reviews on there, one thing i like about them lol
Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/289/265.5 (10% Goal)

Height: 5'9"

I understand what you're saying about the battery, but I am very happy with my itty bitty little iPod shuffle (which you can get for about 80 bucks). It weighs practically nothing and comes with a clip integrated so that you can clip it on your shirt, belt, etc. Works great for me at the gym because I can move from machine to machine.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi everyone, this is my first time peeping into this forum, but I want to plug my mp3 player. I have an Iaudio U2; I just upgraded from the 512mb model to the 2 gb model (currently around $90 on Newegg). It's fantastic! Great sound, very sturdy and with good features. The batteries are not user-replaceable, but they last about 20 hours before needing to be recharged. Personally, I actually find it more convenient than using actual batteries.

One of the best things about the U2 is its size. They are about the same size as a cigarette lighter, and very light. If I am not wearing pants with pockets, I tuck mine into my waistband, and it is light enough to stay there securely.

Resist the Ipod, I say
Old 03-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #8  

I have an ipod nano and I love it. You charge the battery by plugging the USB cable into your computer. I had a Rio prior to the ipod and I was forever buying AAA's. The battery would drain even when it was off. The only thing I don't like about the ipod was that I couldn't charge in on my laptop. They make an adapter for a wall plug that runs about $40, but I bought a generic brand that works just fine for $16.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #9  
_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
The batteries are not user-replaceable
Isn't it going to be irritating to you when the battery wears out that you are going to have to buy a whole new unit?

I'd like to find one that uses a litho battery (or, whatever they are called) that are more like permanent batteries, like a watch would have.

These would last alot longer than using AAA batteries, but when they do finally die, you can buy a new battery to put in...as opposed to having to buy an entire new player.

That's just irritates me for some reason, probably because I'm an auto technician by trade. I cannot image having to buy a car and if the battery dies, I'd have to buy a whole new car
Old 03-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #10  

"Isn't it going to be irritating to you when the battery wears out that you are going to have to buy a whole new unit?"

Well, I guess that depends on your perspective. My 512mb U2, which I had for 2 years, was only just starting to lose its battery life when I decided to upgrade. And I use it ALOT--at least 6-10 hours a day. (What can I say? I love my MP3 player!). For ordinary use, the battery is not going to degrade significantly for *at least* 3 years (and if after three years you're only getting 14 hours rather than 20, it's hardly the end of the world).

For me, an MP3 player is essential enough that if I have to spend $80 every two or four years for a new one, well, that just seems like a reasonable expense. It would be different if we were talking about a $300 40gb ipod, but for $80-$100 every couple of years, and an MP3 player that I love, I'm can live with that. (And I couldn't survive without an MP3 player!)
Old 03-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #11  
_________

I guess it comes down to personal preference.

To me, it's not necessary for them manufacture these units where the battery cannot be changed. They only reason they do that is to make more money.

But, if you'res is working good for you, I can see why you would be happy with it. Some things in life you just gotta have due to the benefits they provide.

I'm that way with computer hard drives...I change out my primary C drive every 2 years to avoid ever having to deal with hard drive failure, plus I have several extra drives I back-up to.
Cause I'm back-up happy
Old 03-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #12  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

I have an iPod and, yes, it is true you cannot change the battery but you don't need to buy a new one. You send it back to Apple and they send you a new iPod for $65.95. This may be a bit expensive but you are getting a brand new iPod with no scratches or dings, with a brand new battery. I have a 30GB so it is worth it to me.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #13  
rai

S/C/G: 193/178/140? -->size 6 or 8

Height: 5'7

I currently have a Creative Labs MuVO TX mp3 player (512 MB). I love it and it has a radio tuner. I like to have the option of listening to the radio. It takes one AAA battery and it's dimensions is about 1" x 2" (2" is the length and 1" is the width). Although I love it, I think I'm going to upgrade to a nano because I don't want to deal with the battery life issue. The battery drains even if the unit is turned off, so I always have to take the battery out after I use it. If I do this, I can get about 3 weeks out of the battery.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

I have a 2 year old Creative Zen Jukebox - 40 GB - and while it's bigger and heavier than a lot - it has (a) tons of space (I'm an audiobook junkie) and (b) a user replaceable battery. I use it every day. My biggest complaint is that while it has a user replaceable battery (a rectangular lithium one), it is charged in the player. I'd love to find a separate charger for it like I have for a similar battery in my digital camera.

That being said, I also have an iPod Nano (gift) that I love for the gym. Since it's only a 1gb, I swap stuff on and off it a lot, but I find iTunes easier to use than the interface with my bigger player. And the menus on the nano are good. I also bought a generic plug-in charger so I can take the little devil on trips where I don't have access to a PC.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #15  

WaterRat: I'm also an audio book junkie! This is the reason I decided to upgrade to the 2gb U2--I can keep several audio book options on it, AND a giant folder for my gym music. <grins> Hooray for technology!
Closed Thread