Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default I would love some feed back!

Any comments would be welcome! Please look at my fitday.com (link on left side) Any suggestions. I've been eating really low (low for me) in calories for the past 3 days.. I need to increase that a bit. I've been stuck at the same weight for the past 2 weeks.. yuck. I know I probably need to eat more veggies.

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #2  
sfj

Maybe increasing protein a bit?
sfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

My eveing snack is usually a banaa with peanut butter it helped bring up my protein and ia VERY filling. A small banana and 1 tbs of pb will bring you up to 1400
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/?/150

Height: 5ft6in

Hey!

I think you are really smart (and brave) to put yourself out there and ask for opinions. Yay on you.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately (as us homeschoolers are prone to doing). I am finding that so many processed foods (convenience items, darn it!) have either High Fructose Corn Syrup or Trans Fats or both! Both these things are very detrimental to weight loss and healthy eating. HFCS was even in my store brand "All Natural" canned tomatoes! We have "Heart Healthy" bread here also that is very high in HFCS.

For me, when I have hidden sugars or more than a couple of good carbs a day, I want more food and even if I don't cave in, I don't lose. Now I can eat sugary fruit until I can't see straight and still lose. My body does not like to give up the weight when I have any HFCS or too many good whole grains (I could eat Kashi 4 times a day, yum!).

Maybe adding more veggies/fruit unprocessed things could help. Processed foods are more quickly digested. Slowing the digestion down burns more calories.

Also are you getting any exercise/activity in? I am an exercise hater. But I can't deny that it is really helping me. In all my years of "dieting", I've never exercised and always hit a plateau after only a few weeks (usually around every 3 or 4 weeks). It's been 4 months for me so far and I've not hit one yet. The difference has been the exercise IMVHO.

Just a bunch of opinions here. We all have to find what is good for our own bodies. You have a great attitude. Keep up the good work!
Shellyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Dana. I looked at a couple of days worth. You're doing really well. Just wondering if you're satisfied with this? Fullness wise and contentment wise? Because that is very important because then you will stick with it. The only thing I see is that you like crackers and bread and of course there are healthier choices. BUT, if you love your crackers and bread and they will keep you on plan., that's for you to decide. I think you could probably stand to add more protein and more fiber and more veggies. I can't tell you what adding the fiber has done for me lately. And one more thing love, you have got to add exercise. Don't kill me for saying that. But it's mucho important.

The thing to always ask oneself is "How's if working for me?' Now 2 weeks is certainly not awful, terrible to not see a drop, but if it continues then it might be a sign to do some tweaking.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #6  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Charbar,

You may want to look at zigzagging your calories. This has helped me break out of my rut. I eat 1600 cals for 3 days and then 2100 (my maintenance level based on LBM) on the 4th day. This is supposed to prevent your body from thinking it's starving. Just a suggestion.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #7  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I too am a zigzagger.

I have to say, I would add more fresh/raw veggies and fruit. I know fitday always gives us the wonderful option of boiling our veggies, even if we steamed them, so I use the "raw" option. For me, I always feel fuller, longer the less cooked veggies are. Especially broccoli, asparagus carrots. Maybe try it that way? What are the cordon blue things? COuld it be things in your packaged foods you arent aware of? Really learn to read those ingredients, especially if it comes in a box. Most of the time you can make your own specialty items for less calories and fat. Cordon blue is a huge fave around here, so I've found ways to make it we can all live with, taste, calories, fat etc.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Thanks so much gals... I took something from each of you! Tiffany... I was thnking the same thing. I think 1400 is not enough for me at the weight I'm currently at. I think it's fine to go up to 2100 calories - I just find then my fat numbers go crazy!

Robin.. exericse.. I hear yeah! Infact I exercised this morning. Only 10 minutes.. but it was a good start. I got my heart rate up! I am full on the food I'm eating. I'm content with it. There are times I want nachos w/ cheese - but who doesn't! lol This week I do have planned a special treat of tortilla chips with homemade guacamole - high in calories - but lots of the good fat we all need. And oh so yummy!

Shelly.. you are so right about processed foods!! For me.. limiting processed foods is a process. That is all I used to eat. Before when I dieted I would eat lean cuisines. I try to stay away from those types of foods now. And the sodium in them.. terrible. Sometimes I wonder if the processed diet foods keep you fat.

Canadian Mom (I'm a canuck too.. but living stateside) you what sounds really yummy.. a peanut butter banana milkshake.. maybe add a little flax to it.. wow.. thanks for the inspiration.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Don't kill me again, either Charbar or Tiffany or anyone else. I'm just speaking for myself and from my experiences. Without a doubt only you know what is best for you. And of course if it's working for you, more power to you. But 2100 calories is a bit high IMO. Especially if there is not much exercise involved. Again if you can successfully lose on that and YOU are HAPPY with it, just ignore me and my big mouth. I also find that if I eat 2100 calories one day and again that's just me, it changes my whole frame of my mind and puts me in a whole different mindset. It means I'm probably eating trigger foods and the such with too much fat and sugar and processing. Again that's just me. I do try to zig zag, it kinda just naturally happens in fact. Especially on the weekends. But 2100 is IMO a bit high. There I said it. Whew.

Dana 10 minutes is a GREAT start. Try and sneak in another 10 minutes and maybe even another and before you know it, you've done 20-30 mins.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #10  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hey there, Dana! It's been a while! I, too, really applaud your guts and wisdom in putting your eats out there for all of us to critique! You're awesome!

I actually think your calories are fine, although I do wonder how many times a day you're eating. I'm in total agreement with most of the feedback you've already gotten: more lean protein, more veggies, definitely need to cut back on the processed foods because they DO affect weight loss, and cycling/zigzagging calories has been really helpful to me in the past. Not crazy fluctuations, but mixing it up does keep your body guessing.

Something else that has proven true for ME, but may not jibe with others' philosophies regarding weight loss or calorie counting, is that it has DEFINITELY been my experience that, even when my calories are nice and low like yours are (yay, you!!!!) if my fat percentage is on the high side, I don't lose weight as well. Our bodies' process macronutrients differently, and all calories are NOT created equal! I don't think you've got a problem with it, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look at and think about.

Also, obviously, exercise -- even a little --would help a LOT! And how's your water intake? Some of the foods you're eating are pretty high in sodium, so I'm hoping you're drinking plenty of H2O. (Sorry, I haven't been around here for a while, so I'm just throwing stuff out there with no knowledge of what you've told everyone about your practices. )

I have to say that I'm just so proud of you, Dana, and I think you're doing great!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #11  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Oops! Back to add that I've found it really helpful to eat every several hours, and to get in a bit of protein each time. (Helps to keep your energy up, keep your metabolism going, prevent hunger pangs, and keep your diet low-glycemic -- which is good for all KINDS of reasons!)
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #12  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Yep, more protien did it for me
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

hey hey
yup...I'm a supporter of adding some fruit and veggies...yummy things with color! and exercise...every bit counts.
I've been trying to bust through a plateau too... I officially just started my 4th week without losing and I'm trying to zig zag and eat way more veggies (yay fiber) and switch around my workouts. Don't get discouraged, your doing great! its all a part of the journey
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #14  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

My next one 181_179 is comming funny how it hits and a number change!
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Well...I think you might do better to increase your calories a bit. Maybe 1800? Some days seem pretty low. I thought you were eating much higher calories before. When did that change?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote