Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #1  

Exclamation Starting out

The start of the diet. I have tried many many times to lose weight and it always seems that the hardest part is getting started and then staying on track for more than just a few days. any tips or tricks? this time i am making it happen!
melissamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

There are no tricks. There is only the desire. You HAVE to want to do it. If you haven't really made up your mind to stick to it, it is just too easy to give up.

Write it down. Make a list of all the reasons you want/need to lose weight. Make a list of things that you do to hamper your weight loss. Study your lists and make up your mind to NOT do the things that will hamper your loss and think constantly of the reasons why you want to lose. You have to have a positive mindset.

Good luck to you.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Melissamarie, I know what you mean--try, try again!

The thing that has helped me is to have a plan to follow, rather than just something like "I'll eat better today." I don't mean it has to be every single meal and snack down to the crumb--although it could be!--but it helps me to know what my meal selections are, my snack selections, and so on, so that I can make sure I have the right foods in the house (and none of the "bad" foods!!). I also track calories in and calories burned using the FitDay tracker on the computer. That way I don't have to guess.

I was horrified when I found out just how many calories something like a fast food hamburger actually has! I mean, 900 calories? I'm eating around 1200-1300, so something like that leaves me NO room!

Anyway, I'm rambling--good luck to you! Let us know what you're doing and if you have questions, etc.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

For me, I had to come up with a plan that made me happy. It couldn't feel like punishment, it couldn't feel like something temporary, it couldn't feel like something I couldn't wait to be OVER. I had to be able to eat foods I liked, I had to be able to go to most restaurants, deal with social situations involving food, etc. I found healthy foods I loved as much as their unhealthy counterparts. Turned out I adore plain baked sweet potatoes, greek yogurt with fresh blackberries and grilled salmon - I didn't know because I was too busy eating 700 calorie muffins and packs of M&Ms.

I'm also a big fan of planning. I've found that it's very difficult to eat healthy "by accident." It is more work to eat healthy - you have to find recipes, you have to shop, you have to pack. It's much easier to just eat what is handy when you are stressed and tired or don't have much time. Having the right foods ready and at your fingertips can really help with success.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

For me, failure just isn't an option and that's what I tell myself when I'm going off track. A few months ago I had lots of time before summer, when I'm supposed to reach my goal. Well now things are getting more dire as summer is happily right around the corner. I've noticed myself getting more on the ball lately because I have just refused since last summer to be higher than my goal weight this coming summer. And that's that.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #6  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Glory, I just checked out your "very long weight loss story". Omigod! You're a whole new person! And gorgeous! Congratulations! Wow!

Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #7  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Melissa!

Welcome! Something that helps me is making a list of all the things I will be able to do when I have lost the weight. As I continue along my journey, I find that I can check a bunch off my list every so often BECAUSE I CAN DO THEM NOW!

I keep adding to my list, and I find I am getting braver and braver in choosing even more interesting and challenging things.

Some recent things I have been able to cross off my list include:
1) Getting new jeans when my current ones get loose
2) Losing inches from my body
3) Being able to exercise for an hour (continuously)
4) Having more energy
5) being able to cross my legs comfortably

Try it! It is really cool to be able to do stuff that you couldn't do just a few pounds ago!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote