Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 03:12 AM   #1  

Talking About Us 20-Somethings!!!!

I'm new here and since I'm 28 I figured this might be a good group for me. I also thought maybe we could try to get to know one another better

Name: Jenny73/Jennifer

Birthday: October 30, 1973

Marital Status: Single (Soon to be engaged...I hope)

Spouse: Not yet. Boyfriend, Blaine

Children: None

Pets: Miniature Dachsund, Toby & Beagle, Sassy

Height: 5'3

Weight: Top:180 lbs Current:175 lbs Goal:120-130 lbs

Treat I have the most trouble giving up: Pepsi & Chocolate

Why I believe I'll be successful losing the weight this time: I had enough and am more determined than ever!! Also with the support of all the great ladies here I know I can do it. I need to be healthy again.

Well, I hope lots of other 20-Somethings out there will start posting so we can encourage each other

Talk to you all soon,

Jenn

Oops...one more

Old 01-26-2002, 08:59 AM   #2  

Name: Marcie (aka Jibbelle)

Birthday: Sept 23

Marital Status: Single (maybe getting a ring someday soon!)

Spouse: Boyfriend of 3.5 years

Pets: lab/aussie cattle dog mix name Casey

Height: 5'8''

Weight: Top:288 Current:246.6 lbs Goal:170 initially

Treat I have the most trouble giving up: Chocolate, chips, soda

Why I believe I'll be successful losing the weight this time: I had to have a total hip replacement (due to a very rare degenerative joint disease) and the doc said I have no choice but to lose the weight I gained since I got the disease. My new hip will last twice as long if I can get under 200. I am getting there slowly but surely!

I am getting ready to go wiegh in now, so I will let you know how I did this week!!!
Old 01-26-2002, 11:06 AM   #3  

Name: Christine

Birthday: Jan 28th

Marital Status: Single

Pets: none

Height: 5'3"

Weight: Top:217 Current:203 lbs Goal:130

Treat I have the most trouble giving up: Ben andJerry's Ice cream

Why I believe I'll be successful losing the weight this time: This time I have the support of so many people and I want to lose the weight for good I'm sick of going up and down. I want to go way down and stay there this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2002, 03:41 PM   #4  

Hi Marcie & Christine,

It was great to read about you both. Are you on any specific diet plans or doing it on your own? I've just started out and have been trying to eat properly again and try to walk at least 4-5 times a week for about 30 minutes (which lately hasn't been fun with the freezing cold weather we've had)!!

Marcie: When did you have your hip replacement surgery? Are you fully recoverd now?

Christine: I know what you mean about giving up ice cream (any kind for me!) I forgot to add that one to my list

Hopefully we can continue to post here often and give each other encouragement...I know I could use it. Maybe we'll have a few more girls join us here too.

Talk to you soon,

Jenn
Old 01-26-2002, 04:18 PM   #5  

Jenn-

I am doing LA Weight Loss. It is basically a life style change. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, and a few carbs. It is a really easy plan to follow and it seems to be working great for me! I really need the accountablity and support I get from the counselors at the center. I usually go in once or twice a week to see them one on one. They are really great.

I had my surgery a little over a year ago. I was doing pretty well after 5 weeks and went back to work. No crutches or anything. They tell you it takes a year to fully heal so I didnt really get to exercise at all for about year. Just some basic stretches and stuff that were part of physical therapy. Now I am back in the swing of things. Much better than I have been for a long time. Now if I can just get all this stupid weight off I will be doing GREAT!
Old 01-27-2002, 05:42 PM   #6  

Name: Reesa

Birthday: Feb. 13th,1975

Marital Status: engaged and living in sin.

Pets: 2 dogs

Height: 5'3''

Weight: Top:240lbs Current:230lbs Goal:125 long term goal

Treat I have the most trouble giving up: pizza,chocolate,fast food

Why I believe I'll be successful losing the weight this time: Because I see that I'm reaching the end of my 20's and its time to focus on reaching my life time goal weight.

I hope to get to know you all better and please e-mail me. I think it would be great to know other females in their 20's trying to lose weight also for the motivation.

Reesa
240/230/125
[email protected]
Old 01-28-2002, 02:11 PM   #7  

Well, I'm back from my boyfriends where I stayed for the weekend. He just bought a new exercise bike which he had set up in the living room. I used it for the last 3 days, about 25 minutes each time...my legs were so tired after

LA Weight Loss sounds like a good program. Changing your lifestyle instead of just dieting until you reach the weight you want to be at. Glad to hear you recovered so well from your surgery!

How was your weekend Christine? Is it very cold there this time of year?

Reesa: Thanks for writing! Reaching the end of my twenties was another reason I so badly want to lose the weight this time too. I'd like to be my ideal weight when I turn thirty...only 2 more years Are you following a plan or doing it on your own? If you ever want to e-mail me, please feel free. I think it would make this whole process a lot easier knowing other females my age who are going through the same things I am too.
P.S Your birthday is 4 days before my boyfriend's, the same year too

Hope everyone had a great weekend,

Jenn
Old 01-30-2002, 03:40 AM   #8  
neophyte :)

Thumbs down

Name: Anna

Birthday: July 27

Marital Status: single single single

Pets: None

Height: 5'6''

Weight:
Top: 233lbs
Current: 230lbs
Goal: 140lbs

Treat I have the most trouble giving up:
fast food (it's just too easy to hit the drive-thru!!!)

Why I believe I'll be successful losing the weight this time:
I've had enough of the creeping pants sizes and of my inability to wear any article of clothing more than a year old because I've gained weight. The motivation, the discipline, the desire, and the great support network of fellow "losers" will see me through to my goal!!

Hey gals, sorry I've been AWOL for a few weeks: I've decided to finish my bachelors degree and I'm in school again. On top of a 50-hour work week I'm attending classes in the evenings... this has proven to be just one more challenge to my weight-loss goals. Initially, my meals were a disaster - I'm away from home from 7am to 10pm - so I'd grab what I could when I could and it was expensive and not particularly healthy. Due to lousy eating during the first weeks of class and no exercise in my fluctuating schedule, I've lost only three pounds. But it's three pounds less than what I used to be!

Now I'm really trying to plan my meals out so that I can bring a meal for lunch as well as something to eat before leaving for class. Getting in some exercise has not been easy, either. After class is way too late, which leaves early mornings (ugh) but it's important to me, so I'm hoping it will just become a habit I look forward to over time. I'd like to try to incorporate some yoga into my routine once a week or so, mostly to calm and center myself. Can anyone suggest any tapes and/or books to check out??
Old 01-30-2002, 09:06 PM   #9  

Dharma-

I am in the same situation as you. Not only do I work more than full time, but I am also going to graduate school part time. It is really difficult to find time to eat, let alone cook!!!
Old 02-01-2002, 01:20 AM   #10  
neophyte :)

Jibbelle-

Have you found a routine that works for you during the week? I haven't adjusted to the long, long days yet. It's so late when I get home, and I'm so tired... ugh Cooking a healthy meal ends up taking a backseat to studying and the much more pressing need for sleep. I'm working on it, though, just sloggin' on through...
Old 02-01-2002, 08:34 AM   #11  

Luckily, I am doing a masters program so I only have class a couple times a week. My eating schedule is kind of like this:

6am breakfast then leave for work.
9am fruit
11am lunch
3pm fruit
leave work about 5pm

On days I do not have class I generally eat about 6pm. When I have class I usually leave from work, go home to let the dog out, eat a grilled chicken salad that I prepared the night before, and then leave for class. It is kind of boring to eat the same thing all the time, but we gotta do what we gotta do. The campus I go to also has a subway and a big salad bar in the student union so if I go straight from work to class I can eat there. It is really important to eat before class because I dont get out of class and home until about 10 pm. Then is almost time for bed so I can get up and do it all over again!

Anyone do a lot of traveling for business? I would love to hear any tips you may have on eating out. I find it SOOOO frustrating.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:50 PM   #12  

Hi Guys,

Friday was officially the end of the fiscal year at work. I'm not looking forward to Monday. We just got everything cleaned out and now we have to do all of our year end reports. Month end is always hectic but year end is the worst.

I've managed to maintain my weight another week. I've been doing real good with not cheating too much at work. I've been trying to bring my lunch everyday. I just skipped once last week because I just needed to hit the snooze button a couple of times and didn't have time to make my lunch.

There has been no going out to eat at work since no one has enough time to leave there desk.

I hope you guys are all doing good and will post more reguarly when work goes back to normal.

Jenny73 - Mother nature has forgotten what winter is like here. It goes from 60 to 20. It snows for a couple of hours rains and then freezes. I have never seen a winter like this one. I'm just waiting for us to get buried because the most snow we have had was the 19th of Jan. for the Patriots/Raiders game Then the next day it rained and it was all gone. Today the sun is bright and it's like 45. But in any normal year it would cold and snowy.

Well I better get going. My friend is redoing her kitchen and I volunteered to watch her kids her and her husband go to pick out new cabinets.

You all have a great weekend!!!
Old 02-02-2002, 04:32 PM   #13  

Maintenance is much better than gaining! I was down 1 pound for the week when I weighed in today. It isnt great, but I will take it!!

I try and pack my lunch at night while I am fixing dinner. I never find time to do it in the morning before work.

GO RAMS!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:04 PM   #14  

Default new to group

Hi, I am also new here. I'm 25 years old, single, and from NC. I've decided to lose weight (again..arg) because none of my clothes fit, I feel tired all the time, and I'm generally disgusted with my sloppy appearance.

I've been watching what I eat and walking 2-3 miles a day for the last 2 weeks, and so far have lost 5lbs. I've also tried to cut out all sodas and fast food, which I have begun to miss!

I've gone down the weight loss road before, between my freshman and sophomore years in college, eventually losing the 25 lbs I put on (freshman 15, ha! I have always considered myself an overachiever...lol). I kept the weight off for about 3 years, but it started creeping back once I stopped walking regularly. Creeping back is a bit of an understatement, I have put on 40 lbs in the last year and a half.

I'm at the heaviest I've ever been and my goal is to lose 35.5 more lbs. ( for a total of 40.5). Hopefully, I can manage this by October 2002, because I am in 2 weddings in November...nothing worse than to be the only size 14 among the single digit bridesmaids!

Does anyone have any tips on a substitute for pizza?? This is my weakness....

Donna
Old 02-04-2002, 10:10 PM   #15  

Occassionally I buy healthy choice or lean cuisine french bread pizza. They are not too bad, but you MUST cook them in the oven, not the microwave. They are a lot better if you add a little bit of extra cheese before you bake it! I know weight watchers has some pizzas too, but I have not tried them.
Closed Thread