Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-05-2007, 01:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: s/c/g: 173/167.8/130

Height: 5'4

Question Running

I was just wondering how anyone who runs got started. I used to play three sports in high school (7 years ago) and I used to run for those practices all the time. Unfortunately, I never ran on my own and don't know how to get started. I have tried running at the gym, but I feel like I run wierd, and like everyone is looking at me oddly. Any advice?
cytheria21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:43 AM   #2  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I am not a runner (yet), but try googling "couch to 5K" on the "Cool Runners" website. That is a step-by-step program and so far I have only seen good reports on that program. Good luck to you, and have fun with it!

Cheryl
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 7''

Hey there,

I'm going to second the 'couch to 5k' program - I started the program last August and am currently gearing up to my first half-marathon in a few weeks time. Its doable and slowly progresses you so you don't get bored.

There is a thread on this site for C25k (couch to 5k)...it was great as there is always people starting the same time as you so its easy to find a buddy.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.
Finn.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I just started out by walking a mile every day and adding jogging sprints to it as I could. I tried to jog the first day and it nearly knocked me out, so I walked for probably a week first to build up a little endurance and then tried again. I ran maybe 15 feet at a time at first, but gradually increased. As my feet got sore, I checked into actual running shoes and water wicking socks. You should start with those. I also started reading online running sites to get some information on how the bottoms of the feet should be striking the pavement because I too felt I was running "funny".
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

step 1 get good shoes and a good bra

I mapped out about a 2 mile loop and walked it fast. (Or a 15 minutes out, 15 minutes back route) Then after that felt comfortable I would walk a little to warm up then pick a point on the route to start jogging and jog for as long as I could and then walk the rest of the way.

Then each time I would try to run 1 house, tree, lampost whatever farther and eventually I would only walk for 5 minutes and start jogging a second time.

When I could jog the whole thing, I increased the route little by little
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: s/c/g: 173/167.8/130

Height: 5'4

Thank you for the advice everyone!! I registered on the Cool Runners website and I start tomorrow!!!
cytheria21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #7  

I'm so glad I found this thread- I was looking for something like this! I really want to form a habit of running/walking outside with the weather getting nice- I'm getting fed up with crowded uninspiring gyms....but I'm not much of a runner, so the "Couch to 5k" will help! How do you know what distance you run when you are outside?
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 7''

Valvetta,
The couch to 5k can be completed on either time (e.g. run for 60 seconds) or distance (e.g. walk half a mile). For the time aspect you'd need a stopwatch or clock. For the distance you could either wear a pedometer or drive a certain distance in a car noting where the half mile makers are.
Good luck!
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Or you can use this website to map out any route. The mileage is very accurate. I find this is the easiest way to choose a new route. Much quicker than driving.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

It uses google maps. Find your home, start recording.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

There's also this one Map my Run ... A bit of a different version of the one ennay mentionned...

I started running on the treadmill with one minute intervals, I then graduated to running outside and will never look back, I love running
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #11  

I think I found the C25K too difficult to do. I just ran until I thought I needed to stop, maybe 30 sec when I first started, then pushed myself a little more, and then stopped to walk. When I was recovered, I ran again. I started at about 3 days a week, 30 minute sessions and when I could run the whole thing (more or less) I added distance and time. It was highly irregular, but it all worked. I think the structure of the C25K plan is really good for a lot of people, but there are other approaches if it doesn't work for you. I've now done a marathon, several halfs, one 10K (hate hate hate that distance), and more 5Ks that I can count, plus triathlons of various distances.

One thing I'd add to ennay's list of stuff is a good pair of compression (bike-type) shorts if you have any sort of thigh flab at all. I have lots and lots of thigh flab, and it is indispensible for prevention of chafing.

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 03-06-2007 at 09:45 PM.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

You've gotten a lot of good advice here already, so I don't have much to add, other than to chime in that I'm another C25K success story, it really does work, and I've found in running more joy than I have in any other exercise I tried in the past. Glad to hear that you're already out there going full steam ahead with it - good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

too funny anne, I love 10K's & halfs, hate 5K's
Old 03-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #14  

Thanks for all the tips on measuring distance and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
There's also this one Map my Run ... A bit of a different version of the one ennay mentionned...

I started running on the treadmill with one minute intervals, I then graduated to running outside and will never look back, I love running
Ilene- I'm hoping I feel the same way in a few months!
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #15