Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #1  

Default fancy scale efficiency and the gym

Hi ladies, hope you all had a great weekend.

Well, my question is bi-fold. Hoping for some help. The first question is in regards to this scale I have had my eye on for a long time. I saw it in a catalogue. It monitors body fat and body water. etc. Apparently they are the most accurate scales (within 2 lbs.). The ad claims you " just input age, sex, and height"....and that precise digital readouts reveal weight, percent body fat and water, "and graphic icons evaluate them in relation to what they shoulbe be for someone your age" I am intrigued and wondering if any of you have this scale and how it works before i splurge and spend 100 on a scale! Supposedly, it has an 8 person memory to accomodate many family members. has anyone tried this? and if so, how is it working?

My other question is gym related. It has been yearssssssss, Ions...since I even attempted a gym. From now, I am thinking to join somewhere this fall.....for many many reasons! I just think it will be good for me. So i wanted to ask, which gym chain do you recommend or like? and do any of you belong to a unisex gym, for women only? any and all input is greatly appreciated I am pre-planning as you can see, but I must!

I wish you all continued success, keep it rocking
FullSteamAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:51 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh... I don't know! I don't own a scale. I weigh at the YMCA, which probably also tells you what my gym program is. I don't know if I'd want to spend that much on a scale. I mean, what if it told me I was gaining weight?

I used to belong to Curves, which is all women, and it was nice to have that. This one Curves, though, sometimes got to be so chatty that no one was paying attention to their workout. But every Curves is different--I changed the one I went to and the new Curves had women more interested in the workout. But, I outgrew Curves, and couldn't work any harder on the machines without hurting my joints. There is another club called Contours that I hear has real weight machines, not just hydraulics. But we don't have one where I live.

I like the YMCA because there are lots of cardio machines to use (rowing machines, treadmills, cross trainers, bikes) and also all the weight training machines. And the one I joined gives you three free training sessions with your membership to get you started right.

Good luck with your journey!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #3  

lol jay, your right. If I spend that much on a scale and it tells me Im gaining weight, god help it, hahaha thanks for the info. I will look into curves, there is one nearby. thanks : )
Old 03-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: s/c/g: 173/167.8/130

Height: 5'4

I actually bought a Weight Watchers brand scale at Wal-Mart for about 20$ and it's pretty close to the one I use to weigh-in at the meetings. Unfortunately, I love to get on the scale and see where I am for the week. It's hard not to, but I don't like the uncertainty. I don't want to get weighed in and then find out I gained 5 pounds or something.
cytheria21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:22 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have a Tanita scale that measures body fat and water % and of course pounds. It weighs in .2 of a pound increments. I find it to be extremely accurate. And yes, you can program in your height, age and all that stuff and it keeps track of up to 4 different people and it was about $50.00. $100.00 sounds like an awful lot of money. I personally don't think it's necessary.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #6  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

MY first digital scale I think I bought for 20 bucks....It gave me a different reading every time I got on it. I thought I was losing until about a month in I jumped on 3 different times and it was wildly different. I threw it out. I bought a tanita after reading just about every review on amazon about scales they sold there. The tanita had just about all good reviews on giving weight measurement. Some of them also measure water and body fat.

I would say spend the money and research on a good scale (maybe not $100, I bought mine for about $50 good, because a bad one will drive you crazy). One test is if you put on a floor and it is stable and weight your self 3 times doesn't it give you the same or close to the same number each time. If you can't test it amazon review are a good way to pick a brand.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

I have a regular digital scale. My reward when I reach Onederland is going to be a Tanita scale.
I belong to the YMCA with my family, it was a Christmas present to all of us.
I like that it has a pool(with water exercise classes), the cardio machines(with spinning classes), weight machines and free weights, stretching room, many, many other classes and alot of them are included with my membership of $53 a month for our family of 4. Curves has less to offer and was just as much here in Wisconsin, and I was the only one that could use it.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #8  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I had a scale that gave you your BF%, water and weight, I just dont think its necessary.

As far as gyms, I prefer unisex because I am a people watcher and I learn alot from both sexes. I dont like curves because I dont like the hydraulic machines, and "chick gyms" are generally more expensive than just regular gyms. I go to Planet Fitness, 19.99 a month and that includes access to all the PF gyms, unlimited guests, and tanning. I used to work out at Golds Gym and I really liked it, but there isnt one here.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I have the Tanita scale. The weight function seems pretty accurate, but for bodyfat, it tells me that I fall into the obese range. I am 5'5" and 145 pounds - not ideal by a long shot, but I don't think obese!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #10  

good morning ladies : )

thanks to all of you for your input, much appreciated! I am going to stick with my scale for now until I get to a certain loss but now I at least now what to look for. I had never heard of a tanita scale and the price is much more reasonable and sounds right at least, 100 seemed extreme.

Su-bee, lol. I think your scale must have a short circuit or something! That's crazy. I would just ignore that part of it. THanks for the input, when the time comes if my scale does something similiar...I wont be taken aback by it.

Ladies, ty also for the gym info. THe y sounds good and planet fitness has tanning too ha? boy that sounds good right now, lol can't wait for nice weather but it will be here soon. Have a great day everyone : )
Old 03-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm not sure what brand of scale that I have but it is digital... As for the gym... I work out at Planet Fitness... I believe that the offers are different at all the locations but what I like about my membership is that it is low cost. There is nothing super special about it...but its nice and comfortable and the people are friendly. I paid a 1 time $50 registration fee and now I pay $10 a month, I've locked into this rate so that even if prices go up mine stays the same and I also don't have to pay any fees if I want to cancel my membership.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote