Old 03-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #1  
one pound at a time......

S/C/G: 235/231/135

Height: 5'4"

Cool I ran!!! I ran!!!

LisaMarie and WindyCityChick, thank you for the encouragement. I went out and ran for the first time tonight!! I did a 5 minute warm-up walk, then ran 5 minutes, walked 1 minute, ran 3 more minutes and then did a 5 minute cool-down walk. So, out of 20 minutes, I ran 8!! I'm so impressed with myself, it's pretty good for someone who was a couch potato until YESTERDAY. It's definitely gonna be a while before I can run a 5K, but I'm on my way and even though my 8 minutes of running kicked my butt something terrible I can't wait to go again.

For the next two weeks I think I'll stick to mainly walking, with one run per week. Then I want to start the couch to 5K program. I might have to stretch the first few weeks out a bit, but I'm gonna do it! I want to run a 5K race in September, that's my goal! I can't believe I'm so excited about running after one run... I hated it before. Thanks again guys.
Shrinking Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

YEA!!! Way to go!!! Be careful, running can actually become addicting!! I started about 6 weeks ago and am running 2.5 miles 5 days a week now! I get excited to see if I can make my increase for the week. I want to do a 5k in september. Good luck! Keep running! Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #3  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

That's so great! 8 minutes sounds like quite a lot for starting, congratulations!

I've been "waiting" to start running until I am at a lower weight, but our stats aren't too far apart so after reading your post, I've begun thinking that I may try it and see if I'm mistaken! Oh wait... I just remembered... occassionally I'll run to get somewhere or to make sure I don't miss a bus... and I can't run for that long yet. lol, I guess that's where that belief was coming from - it's funny how easy it is to forget things like that.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #4  

Height: 5.6

That is so fantastic!!! WAY TO GO YOU!!!

Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #5  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

Good work.....
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #6  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

WoooHoo Congrats!! I love running. I too have been putting it off, but thats more until I can find a good sports bra, I'm really hesitant to buy anymore bras online after the horrible experiences I had finding nursing bras online!
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Right on! I am inspired by your excitement and proud of you for getting this far in your fitness. The run/walk method is a fantastic way to train for races and also a great way to work your way up to running. I used the same method when I trained for a few races a year ago and was amazed at what my body could do. Wait until you reach the "runners high"... it's a lovely feeling.
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

That's amazing.
All I can think of is that I will have a stroke or something. I feel like I'm too fat to run. I come home with bruises all over my face from my boobs slapping me!

But that's great for you.. keep a journal of your progress!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #9  
Beach Dreaming

S/C/G: 220/205/135

Height: 5'8

Way to Go!! I also HATED running, until I actually changed my way of thinking about it. I realized I had actually talked myself into hating it and that "self talk" is, indeed, very powerful. Once you allow yourself to even begin to believe that it is within your abilities, you have already won half the battle! My husband and I are both getting ready for our first 5K in June and although I am a little scared (intimidated) I am so excited to have that feeling of accomplishment and overcoming a fear. Keep running!!!!!!
pantry raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Yay!! I'm so glad you decided to start running! I saw you on the Cool Runners thread too -- woohoo!!

charbar, I was worried about the same thing, because I'm a bit top-heavy. When I started running, I was still a size 44DD or so -- now I'm about a 40D. I still have to strap those suckers down under two bras, one thick support bra and a regular one! I'm sure there are good support bras out there that don't require doubling up -- I honestly haven't done the research yet.

Everyone who thinks you have to wait until you're thin to run -- don't wait! Take it easy, certainly, but you can probably do a lot more than you think you can. I ran 5.4 miles this morning, and just a few months ago I couldn't run for more than five minutes at a time. You will surprise yourself, and you will definitely get addicted!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Woohoo! Daisy, I am so glad you decided to take the plunge and run. Now you'll be addicted to runner's high like the rest of us. You may have seen references to the C25K program on the cool runners thread or elsewhere - I'd recommend you check it out (it's on the coolrunning.com website). It's a structured program that takes you from no running to a 5K in about 12 weeks, and it will keep you from overdoing it too soon and injuring yourself. Even if you don't follow the program strictly, you might want to use it for general guidance.

Good luck, and I'll be seeing you over on the cool runners thread!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Daisy! How exciting. I'll be joining you all with the running soon. Who knows....maybe we'll all run a marathon together one day?!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations!
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

That's awesome! Be sure and let us know when you sign up for your first 5K.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote