Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Default question for all - others noticing weight loss

I thought it would be interesting to ask everyone - how much weight had you lost when people around you first began to notice? Did this vary between people in your life who knew you were working to lose weight and those who had no idea? I also wonder if height makes a difference? like do people notice faster if you're shorter versus taller or the other way around?

For myself, two people said they could tell I lost weight at 20lbs - these people knew I was working to lose it. Someone who didn't know said something at 40 lbs.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #2  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

One of my high school friends noticed when he visited me and I had lost about 50 lbs. Before that, only one of my roommates mentioned it but she could have also been influenced by seeing me eating healthily.

There are one or two people I know who haven't noticed yet. And I don't mean they're just too polite to say anything either. On the other hand, a guy I was in class with all last year stood right next to me on the bus today and didn't notice me.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #3  
TRIATHLETE!!!!!

S/C/G: 274/255/130

Height: 5' 5"

When my starting weight was 5 pounds lighter than I am now, it was around the 15 pound mark that people noticed. I think I lost MOST of my weight from my face that time, though.

This go round, NO one except the Other Human has noticed. I think it's partly because my weight is coming off my butt this time and partly because I'm not advertising my diet.
cinderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: s/c/g: 173/167.8/130

Height: 5'4

I had people notice when I lost 15 lbs before. I'm only 5'4 though so it may depend on your height.
cytheria21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

People noticed after 20 pounds for me.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I haven't had the luck of anyone noticing my weight change since I only lost about 5 pounds. Feeling a little sad
NWGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199/196/145

Height: 5' 5"

Don't be sad! I'm new and I noticed! Plus you have me beat I've only lost 4 lbs so far. Looking for the appropaite song in my collection for you to dance to....
" Celebrate good times ..come on!!! <let's celebrate>" (Kool and the Gang)
MissMushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #8  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Awww, NWgal, don't be sad. I've only been eating healthy and forcing myself to get more exercise for a WEEK, now....haven't even dared weigh myself! My waistbands are just a *tad* looser. Not even all that MUCH looser. But you know something? I'm SO glad I found 3FC...I jump online two or three times a day, read some of the posts, and it just feels good knowing that I'm not by myself trying to do this, and that others struggle the same way I do. It REALLY makes me determined to do as well as some of the others here have done and ARE doing! Just hang in there, and check back in as often as you can. You'll be so glad you did when those danged pounds start dropping off and you can see the difference yourself.

Take good care,

Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Same as some of the others--at 15 lbs. off I got my first comment. I'm 5'4". It may depend on how large one is to start.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Since I started out sooo heavy, I would say it took about 25 lbs till I got a comment.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #11  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

if I lose more than 5 lbs people tend to notice. I lose weight in my face first though, and thats what people see, yanno? I'm also pretty tall, so it always looks like I weigh less than I do. Most ppl guess I weigh about 185.<lately> when I was heavier, they guessed 225 or soish. YAY!! I think the taller you are, most people notice faster, because 5-10 lbs is more noticable when it's spread out, in height instead of in width if that makes sense?
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #12  

There's no magic number, there are too many factors to make this something even worth worrying about. When people spontaneously say they noticed depends on:

- how overweight you were to start with PLUS how much you lost
- your clothes -- if you're wearing exactly the same clothes, you can still appear to be the same size you were
- how you carry your weight and where you lose first
- whether that person sees you every day, once per week, once per month, once per year
- how much they noticed what you USED to look like
- how observant they are NOW

Also ... just because they haven't said they noticed doesn't mean they haven't. Some people are afraid of jinxing you, some may be afraid of seeming nosy or superficial. If they have their own weight/body issues, they may have lots of reasons for not saying anything, positive and negative.

Honestly, as sensitive as I am to weight, someone has to lose a good chunk for me to notice. I just don't go around thinking about how other people look day to day.

And, to answer the question ... I lost about 40 pounds before anyone said anything.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

10-15 pounds for me. I lost a lot in my face early on, so it was easy for people to notice.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 PM   #14  
Tryin'

Height: 5'3

for me, it was 25-30 lbs before anyone noticed. i didn't tell ANYONE i was attempting to lose weight. also, i wore the same clothes until i lost about 50lbs. so...not sure what this tells you but there it is.
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #15  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

The last time I tried to lose weight my starting point was a little higher than it is this time around, and paople started noticing after about 10-12 lbs. (Or right before my weight loss stalled and started creeping back up! ) I never got into a smaller size, my "skinny" clothes just fit properly.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote