Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.5/299.8/175

Height: 5'10

Question Reduce water intake on LAWL?

I normally just lurk here, but I've been on LAWL three weeks and lost 8 pounds--I love it! But, I got some weird advice at my COD yesterday, so I thought I would post it here and get second opinions. My counselor (someone new, she wasn't there three weeks ago), told me today that I had to be careful not to drink too much water because doing so would slow or even stop my weight loss. She was upset that I was drinking 124 ounces a day. Well, I have always had about that much, even pre-weight loss. Plus, I started out at over 300 pounds. Isn't there some rule about drinking half your body weight in ounces of water each day? I chalked the advice up to ignorance, but I would love to hear what other people have to say about it.
sunshine2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #2  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I was told that too. They said that if you drink too much water, that your body will my too busy dealing with all of the water to burn fat. Who knows?
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #3  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

I think it's junk. Sometimes I think the counselors just feel like they HAVE to say something.............and some of them are a bit ignorant. I am not trying to put them down.....I think they try.......but there is no excuse for giving bad advice when your job is to give correct and good advice. I know Joni had posted a thread about water drinking a while back........it was something like.........around the water cooler. I will see if I can find it and bump it up. I think your body is a good indicator of how much water you need. If you feel thirsty..........drink. If you drink more than the recommeded amount.......then you probably need more. If your tummy hurts and you are not feeling well, then it might be time to re-think the water drinking. Hopefully this girl will learn soon that less is more. Sometimes, there is nothing more powerful then for them to just say, "congratulations, you are doing well, keep it up."

So let me first welcome you to our little group of losers........and then say, congratulations, you are doing well, keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #4  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

I'm with Nicole on this one. Yes, there is a thing about too much water, where you flush all of the good nutrients out of your body. But if you are used to drinking that much water anyway, your body should be used to it. Nicole is right in that sometimes the counselors try to help by grasping at anything they can see thats not 'normal' for them, even if it is normal for you personally.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #5  
Britt/LAWL~Red

I was drinking the minimum amount of water and my COD encouraged me to drink more water in fact I think they said I could drink up too I am wanting to say 100 oz or maybe it was 120 oz. At that time i was in the 250's i think so you might want to check with another counselor the next time you are there
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #6  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Hey Britt! Long time no post! How the heck are ya?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #7  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i've heard that you take your body weight and divide by 2 and that's how many ounces you can drink up to per day. that's the rule i have always followed.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #8  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Hey Julie!!! I am good been student teaching so have like NO spare time. Half way finished with that and starting back POP with TO today and im going to the center. Im going to call in a minute to see if my fav counselor is working today and hopefully make an appointment with her and if not i will still go in and face the COD!! I will do a post later today to catch everyone up on what I have been doing and my new game plan. How are you??
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #9  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

If you are losing fine with drinking that amount of water, then keep doing what you are doing. I have heard the weight divided by 2 that Jillian said and also an extra 8 oz. for every 25 lbs. you are overweight.

I know a lady that had lost 135 lbs and was drinking about 100 oz. a day all through her weight loss. When she had hit about 140 she got really sick. What had happened is she was flushing out all her electrolytes and all the good nutrients. It took her about 4 months to get back to normal. So just listen to your body.

Hey Britt- Good to see you. How's things been going for you?
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #10  
LAWLmember on Maintenance

S/C/G: 200/171/157

Height: 5'6"

Hi
I was told on Monday by the COD that I should try decreasing my intake and see what would happen. I was drinking at least 10 glasses and not counting the rest. The scale seemed stuck again. I did what she said, cut back to eight glasses only and surprise the scale moved for me today. So if you hit a plateau it might worth a try. Just my two cents worth.
LilaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #11  
LAWL Salt Police

I'll try to ask tomorrow at the COD and see what they say... I usually drink close to 90 oz. or so a day..
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #12  
Kris

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/180

Height: 5'8"

I have heard the half your body weight in ounces for water consumption in a lot of places lately! In fact - lucky me had a colonoscopy on Wednesday (more fun than a bag of kittens!!) and the doctor's recommendations were more water and more fiber in my diet. I wouldn't wish that test on my worst enemies - but at least I lost a couple pounds...
Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #13  
LAWL Salt Police

Good job seeing the positive side of things..

I had a sigmoidoscopy (sp?) a couple of years ago and boy, can I tell you THAT was not a lot of fun...
Old 03-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #14  
LAWL Salt Police

So, I talked to the visiting COD manager this morning at WI and she said that obviously you don't want to go overboard on the water, as it can make you sick, but drinking 100 oz or so isn't a problem..

She also made the observation that you should space it out.. She said some people worry about drinking lots of water when you're retaining water, but that it's even more important then, so as to "flush the system"...
Old 03-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #15  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

I easily knock back at least 100 ozs a day of the water. But, I do spread it out, and a good 32 of it are during the daily 90 minute workout where I'm sweating insanely. I figure that's the 8 glasses, plus extra to balance out the coffee and diet soda I drink during the day.

Granted the scale hasn't budged in weeks, but my inches are melting away! So it must be working!
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote