Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #1  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

Default Vitamins?

I bought some vitamins from gnc, they are the womens ultra mega active (does anyone else feel like doing super hero poses when they say ultra mega?) my concern is the amounts of some ingrediants, for example 1 serving - 2 pills = 3333% ( not a typo, 3333%) of the daily value of Thiamin. Is this safe? It seems frighteningly high to me. If it is safe to take that much, why do you need that much?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: s/c/g: 173/167.8/130

Height: 5'4

That DOES seem high. Wow. Um, I would check online, maybe ask.com or something before you take them. I would think that they wouldn't market a vitamin with that much of thiamin if it wasnt safe, but ya never know!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #3  
it's always something

I think it's a personal choice, but I'm not sure I like the idea of taking mega doses of vitamins unless prescribed by a physician for the treatment of a specific problem.

Consumer Reports suggests avoiding mega doses and just sticking to a simple one-a-day type without any added extras.
Quote:
Steer clear of megadoses. They have no proven value, can drive up the cost, and may be harmful. Megadoses of vitamin C, for example, can cause gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, and other side effects. And a mere 200 percent of the government’s current Daily Value of supplemental vitamin A in the form of retinol can increase the risk of birth defects and liver damage. Indeed, the National Academy of Science’s Institute of Medicine has recommended revisions in the Daily Values, including a lower amount of vitamin A, but the changes have not yet been instituted.

• Forget exotic extras. Herbal ingredients, food extracts, and phytochemicals such as lutein and lycopene are probably safe but almost surely unnecessary. The amounts in multivitamins are typically so small that they probably offer little or no benefit. Trace minerals, such as boron or nickel, are similarly of dubious value.

• Ignore claims for special benefits, such as weight control or increased energy. They’re generally unsubstantiated.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #4  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

thiamin (B1) is pretty safe to take in megadoses, it's water soluble (like most other B-group vitamins & C) so any extras will get excreted through urine. THAT being said, I don't think there's much benefit to taking more than 100% of DV - asides from making really neon yellow and pricier pee.

That being said - B vitamins do support energy levels and utilization of fats/carbs/proteins, but again, I don't see much additional benefit beyond getting your daily 100%.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #5  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

I have reduced it to taking 1/2 a pill a day until I find out more about it. Suzanne I read that article, that is what made me go huh?! I found this site, I haven't looked at it too far yet but ?I thought it looked interesting.
http://www.supplementinfo.org/ Is it ok I posted that link?
Wow, I was looking and so far there is a couple that is says this is giving me waaaaaaaay to much. I guess I will stick with 1/2 a pill until they are gone and find a new vitamin.
Looked a little further and checked everything using a 1/2 pill dose, it looks to me like 1/2 pill a day would be ok.
Aqua, My pee is very neon and apparently pricy. lol
Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/240/140

Height: 5'6

with most vitamins, its ok to take high doses because your body will only actually absorb what it needs and discard the rest. If you look at the labels of other vitamins you will notice that some have some really high levels but are safe to take. dont forget to listen to your body! if something doesnt feel right, stop taking them. good luck!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 160/160/120

Height: 5'1 3/4"

Default I'm taking the Ultra Mega Gold

I take two in the mornings...though since we all got the rotavirus going around, I've not touched them. I didn't feel any different taking them. My husband said he felt flushed. All I had was highlighter yellow urine! Seriously bright like someone colored the toilet paper with a yellow highlighter. That freaks me out...but I've read it's safe. It's the B vitamins (namely thiamin; B1) that's making it so yellow. I've read some pretty disturbing findings on Vitamin C, such as one saying it can actually cause genetic mutations within a person. I can't back that up right now...maybe a google search with Vitamin C and genetics would give it. Anyway, I'm not convinced these mega vitamins work...I've felt no different
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #8  

I use Herbalife multivitamins. I like them because you take a lower dosage throughout the day ( one with a meal 3x a day). Your body can only use so much at one time and the rest is wasted which is why I don't like the one a day vitamins.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/157/130

Height: 5'3

I Have Been Using Them For About Three Month Now And Haven't Had Any Problems With Them. I Take Two In The Morning Before I Exercise It Gives Me The Energy Boost I Need. Just Make Sure You Drink Your Water.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:21 AM   #10  
kinesiologist

There are a couple issues I would look at before you purchase your next supplement. One would be what are you looking at it to do and why are you taking it. Also would be the quality of the product, a lot of products even GNC i hate to say this don't really have a high quality product that the body can absorb and use effic. What you need to worry about is fat soluable vitamins that the body doesn't remove excess amount but rather stores them. For an example vitamin a at certain levels can become toxic. You should look up what the UI is for these type of vitamins.
Closed Thread