General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #1  

Red face Dating

Hey there ladies and gentlemen,
I have a date for this weekend, and I have to admit I am rather excited. The two girls I have considered to be my best friends for most of my life are getting married within the next few months, one in August and one in October. So, I feel behind. I haven't been on a real date since my last boyfriend, a couple of years ago; we were together for over two years, and after we broke up I thought I would never date again. So needless to say it's been a while, but I am ready to enter the world of dating again, but I am more than a little rusty.
SOOO for the ladies esp (but guys too)- what kind of things do you do to get ready for a big date? I really, really like this guy from what I know and I would love to actually hit it off with him. So ANY beauty/hair/makeup/personality/etc tips would be greatly appreciated.
Haha-I wish I could drop about 15 pounds by this weekend, but that won't happen, so anything to make me look more slender would be an even better tip
Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Hot oil on your hair. "Glow" powder on your face, neck, collar area, and shoulders. Paint on your toenails. Dangly earrings. Nice lip gloss. LIGHT perfume. Those are the things I always did for a special date.

Make sure you're using a good lip moisturizer this week!

Have a GREAT time!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

be you! I know that sounds sort of stupid...but its true...dont get all dolled up if you are that sort of person. Now don't get me wrong...look nice. But if you are comfy in a lot of makeup dont do it. For first/second date i use to (im married now) put on some (but not a lot) of make up, make sure my hair looked nice and then either a nice pair of jean with a fancy top or slacks. I try never to be too dressy on the first date. I always wanted to look nice..but not so "prima dona" that it made the guy wonder if i was high maintenance...but just relax..have fun and be you. You can't make a guy like you if you aren't who you are. I know that sounds cliche etc...but a guy will eventually see through the bull poo. So just go out and have fun!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

I agree with Gatorgal..just be you!
What I have learned the hard way in the past is that guys don't really like the humble/put yourself down thing either. I always used to make jokes about being the "Funny fat chick" and things along those lines. Apparently that is a big turn off.

btw i'm married now and i am still the funny fat chick darn it.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 PM   #5  

Make sure you moisturize your hands so they're nice and soft (if you don't normally)...

Pick an outfit you feel great in, not something to impress him -- if you're uncomfortable in what you're wearing it'll show...if you're feeling sexy in what you're wearing it'll show too!

And don't forget to stand up straight if you don't usually have good posture, it'll make you look like you dropped 15 pounds this weekend
Old 02-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

wow...just reread my post...and darn it...i was typing too fast...what i meant to say was "don't get dolled up if your NOT that person" and if you arenot comfy in a lot of makeup...don't do it...darn it...where's the grammar check when i need it LMAO...sorry guys...typing too fast i guess.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #7  

Gatorgal, I type too fast all the time and mess up what I'm trying to say. I am forever editing my own posts!!! Works like a charm
Old 02-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #8  

Thank y'all so much for all your wonderful advice. I cannot wait to tell all of you how it went!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #9  
hara hachi bu

I recommend you do NOT specifically purchase clothing to wear. I did this for a few first-dates, and ended up spending way more than I'd normally spend (because it was an "emergency purchase"). I'd say dress slightly dressier than everyday life, but yeah, clothes that are comfortable and fit well are important.

What are you doing, or where are you going?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #10  

Height: 5'

Lightbulb basic but can be overlooked!

Dress in a monochromatic color - that way, it won't break up the line. If you're not a fan of black (I was even before I was fat), make sure it's a color that is flattering to you - navy blue looks good on just about everyone and if the top and bottom match, it draws a nice, neat line. If you wear a bright red blouse with black slacks, it probably looks pretty but it draws attention to wherever the top ends and the bottom begins. Try not to wear a pattern unless it's a small one.

If you can afford a manicure, get one. They're usually about $16 for natural nails and $5 extra for a French manicure. If you can't afford one, make sure you tend your nails yourself - and if you don't want to wear a real color, top off your nails with a coat of clear. Much more elegant than a naked nail.

Mostly, if you feel good in what you're wearing, it will show in your self-confidence and poise - and that's worth more than any haute couture you could possibly wear. Have fun and keep us posted!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #11  

Samantha, haha interestingly enough I was considering a pair of navy blue pants. So thanks that helps reaffirm what I was considering.
It's really hard to get navy's that match, so what color would you all reccomend wearing with navy? I was considering another blue color, like a light blue and then a jacket, it's not a really formal date so it doesn't have to be anything fancy. Another thing if this helps any is I have aurburn hair and very light skin so I have to be careful about the colors I wear. But, anyway, thanks again so much I wouldn't be able to go on this date without freaking out and having no idea what to do without you all
Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Listen. Try not to be so nervous you don't listen to him. And if you are a little nervous, asking him questions and getting him to talk some about himself will 1) take the pressure of you and thus 2) relax you, and 3) help you to get to know him better. Have fun!!

BTW how did you meet him? Or have you met him? My husband and I met on a blind date!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #13  

Walking,
Yes I am starting to actually feel a lot better about it. I am just really more excited than anything. How we met- we actually met like a year ago, maybe more than that, but I didn't really think much about it because the circumstances, we weren't able to talk, but we share a mutual friend and everyone that knows us says that they think we would really hit it off if we went out, so we are going to And it is so sweet that you and your husband met on a blind date- romantic! How long have y'all been together?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Elizabeth,
We will be married three years this summer, and we've been together about 5 1/2. I was in another long relationship, pretty much all through my 20s (we were engaged but didn't ever marry), so this was a late relationship for both (in our 30s). Even though we met and married late, I wouldn't change anything. He cooked me dinner for our first date. We ate outside under the moon. It was very romantic and we clicked right away. It is so good to be in such a stable, happy, loving relationship!

I hope your date goes well... please post after your date to tell us how it went! I'm glad you are feeling less nervous than you were...you will do fine! Remember to let us know how it goes!
Old 03-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #15  

So, I promised to update. And as painful as this is going to be, I am. He stood me up, and I am honestly shocked; everyone that knew him thought he was this really great guy. I am not saying that he's not, but oh well maybe it just wasn't meant to work out. I am really upset about it though and feel like breaking out the ice cream carton, but that's probably not going to help.
Closed Thread