Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/156/140

Height: 5ft 7 inches

Default Everyday I "start" eating good, & then...

I have been slightly overwieght all my life. I have always exercised. But I am "BAD" about 30-40% of the time.
I know it's one day at a time, but I can't get past 3pm? I am home alone with kids and hubby gone- so I "treat myself" to food and TV time.

How do I get ONE WHOLE DAY of goodness?
Thanks
cheesewhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

You know tv time isn't inherently bad, as long as you're not eating or there isn't anything better to do. If the kids don't want to sit down to a round of candyland or play basketball in the driveway there's nothing wrong with sitting down and watching tv with them. (assuming you've already done your routine) Just do something other than eat. Maybe something crafty like knitting, crochet, cross stitch or scrap booking. You'll get your tv fix and get something productive done so you earn yourself some guilt free satisfaction.

I'm not sure how well that would work for you, as it's not consistently good for me. I hope it helps and I'll be following this thread for other ideas.
peasandcarrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #3  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

My advice? You KNOW around 3pm it starts to go south for you... so... PLAN. PLAN for these things. Get yourself to the supermarket and purposely buy veggies and fruits that you can cut up in stick in your fridge when you have those moments! Are you bored at these times? Are you stressed? Keep a journal to find out exactly what is eating YOU before you start eating something else!

Planning is truly a key to success!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #4  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

Are you eating refined sugar, flour etc.?

I'm not saying these can't be apart of your plan, I have started to incorporate them back into mine a little bit ( not much) but I needed to take a some time in the beginning to not eat these things so I could get in control of my eating habits.

I was so tired of starting over everyday, because I couldn't last into the evening. So this helped me get the ball rolling. As I cut own on the whites I added lots of veggies and some fruit. The cravings have subsided and I can make it through the afternoon and evening on plan with not as much difficulty.

Once you can get over that first day, you know you can make it through another and then another. One day at a time.
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #5  
Mel

Plan to do something DIFFERENT at 3 o'clock. How old are your kids? Are they old enough fora trip to the park or even the mall "playland" if it's too cold where you are (bring your own snacks!). Can you get the old game Twister or do you have DanceDance Revolution? Make 3 o'clock mom and kids movin and groovin time.

Plan healthy snacks! Plan activities...the default is TV and eating, so that's not working for you.

I do think that parking in front of the TV is inherently bad-- you and the kids are bombarded with ads for sugary, nutritionally empty food that is high in calories. Of course you want to start eating when you see those ads. A lot of thought and money has gone into designing them so you will do that. If you really have to have the TV on at that time, arm yourself with cut vegies and fruit.

Mel

Last edited by Mel; 02-28-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

I think the other posters are right. Just cut the tv out. It almost sounds like boredom eating, so just avoid the boredom of tv and plan on something completely different.
peasandcarrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

are you being TOO good earlier in the day? I used to have the 3 pm meltdown because I had too small a breakfast and lunch. now I have a big breakfast, a small morning snack, a medium sized lunch and a large afternoon snack.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #8  
Rose

S/C/G: 156/150/135

Hi, I have the same problem. I get home from work at 3:15, my daughter gets off the bus around then and she always wants a snack as does my son and I eat right along with them. Sometimes I am okay, but most times I snack too much. Do you want to email or PM each other at that time? try to keep each other on track?
Rose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #9  

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I must have wrote my thread poorly. What happen's is - I get up with hubby at 530am, do a little house work, eat at 630 when he leaves. Then I get kids ready, take to school, go to gym, run a few errands and THEN when I get home around 11am I sit down to lunch, followed by seconds, followed by a dessert. I love to eat alone! It's like a sanctuary for me. By the time 3 rolls around I am busy with pick up, lessons, practice etc- then I am good at dinner- cuz everyone is at the table watching!

So I took everyone's advice and applied it to my mid morning binge'y behavior.

TODAY...
I ate fruit and an hard boiled egg ate 630pm, met a friend for coffee, did a little housework and went for a walk to prolong lunch til noon. I did think about it all morning, actually got excited over thinking about my lunch- Geez

I ate taco salad, then went back for seconds and THEN ate the rest of the lite cool whip, probably 4 tblspns? I was bad:-((.
But one thing I know is I can keep the damage control if a eat a skimpy dinner.
I HAVE NO PROBLEM after 1pm?! go figure?

thanks guys
Old 03-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #10  

Default Rose2?

Thanks for your offer. Can we meet on this thread? Around this time?
I think my hubby will freak if he thinks I "met someone online"
Maybe we could start a thread where we report our daily "tough times". Most people have a trigger time everyday?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Cheese, do you count calories? Sometimes just the simple act of writing down what you eat and determining the calories can help to stave off bingeing. If you figure out a daily calorie budget for yourself, you'll be able to get an accurate sense of how many calories you can allot to midday snacking and treats. You might also find that you're not eating enough calories during your other meals to keep yourself satisfied, thus causing binges when there are no eyes on you. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day, and I'm pretty much eating constantly (well, every two hours or so). It's not all bad
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

rose2 and cheesewhore~did you know that 3FC has a chat? If you two sign on at the same time and go to the chat room, you can "talk" to each other. Some others might pop in, but in my use of the room, you're practically alone!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote