Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/152/120

Height: 5'2

Default is it just me?

I live in Canada and I would love to join ww as i have heard alot of ppl to be successful on the diet, the problem is it is so darn expensive to join and keep up with. That is just for the memberships then you need books and everything. Maybe i should make a goal to save and join lol. Maybe i shouldn't complain but does seem like alot of money.

BTW how do i get one of those weightloss measure things?
scorpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/136/120

Height: 5'3

it can get very expensive. maybe you could get together with a few girlfriends and have one person join, (everyone pitch in the money.) that way everyone has access to the literature and the person who goes to the meetings can bring wht they've learned from the meetings beck to your group. you could all have a weekly weigh in just like the actual meetings. plus, its a good reason to get together with your friends and visit.
Samantha039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Not sure about that....but one suggestion might be...if you can't afford ww right now...you can count calories. There's a good website called fitday.com and you can log your calorie intake. Also if you can't find the caloric intake of some food on fitday...another good site is calorieking.com. Also if you want to know how much you should be eating to lose weight there are several good websites that can help you calculate that including
http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...ches=63&page=3

http://www.internetfitness.com/calculators/bmr.htm
and this will help you figure out exercise
http://www.caloriecontrol.org/exercalc.html

It's a start. WW is great...but in reality, i find that this is working great...i'm counting calories. WW was a start for me...but needed more "daily" support that i'm finding here. SEveral key things are keep a daily food journal, weigh and measure everything at first (you'd be suprised how much you really are eating), plan your meals, eat healthy options but allow some splurges so you don't "Go off the deep end" good luck
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #4  

just found this WW calculator site...
http://www.webmilhouse.com/pointcalc.php
its amazing what you can find when you just google something LOL
Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #5  

okay...here's another one...ebay has all sorts of WW info for sale. That may be good for you to start...and then find the moral support here...see attached website
http://health-beauty.search.ebay.com...0QQsacatZ36455
Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/152/120

Height: 5'2

awsome advice...thanks a million
scorpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Not to diss WW but I've had much more success with counting calories with fitday.com and getting motivation and encouragement at 3FC than going to WW... Follow the Canada food guide and count calories is your best bet and much much cheaper...

The last time I went to WW I lost 2 pounds in a year ... I'm in Canada too, at the time it was 12$/week it was a very expensive 2 pounds to say the least...

Good luck in whatever you do and keep us posted on your decision ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #8  

agrees with Ilene...i learned a lot for WW...but truthfully have the "daily" and even hourly support i find here is great. And truthfully i'm doing great counting calories now. But i think as long as you find a HEALTHY way to loose wt and and works for you...more power to you!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 PM   #9  

My mom had joined through their website and did it computer-based -- not sure but this may be cheaper??!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #10  

I'm with the calorie counters!
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

On behalf of folks who are financially strapped ... fitday.com is free and so is 3 Fat Chicks ... besides a bit of equipment I've picked up over the years ... I know you can lose weight very cheaply.
Don't worry about the support. You come here to us and we'll help you. 24/7 reading support
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #12  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I use to want to join- but I was deterred by the money. If you are still determined ebay is a great source, so is the sub forum for WW here at 3fatchicks, and there are search engines to fill in the gaps.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #13  
Rose

S/C/G: 156/150/135

hi, I joined WW about 4 years ago and lost 45 pounds. I did it through an at-work program. I was expensive but worth it for me because I needed the push and motivation. My husband did it with me (at home). I did two at work sessions (about $250 ) but I learned a lot and it helped me with portion control. After I had my second child, we didn't have enough money to join again so I joined the local center. I bought a month's worth but went every two weeks to space it out. I do fitday now and Youn a diet but WW was a great starting point for me and my husband.

Rose
Rose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #14  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I think I must be in the minority on this thread, but I love WW. It has helped me tremendously! I do understand the cost prohibitiveness, but I still believe the plan is top notch. Right now they are having free registration, so you could go to one meeting for the $12 fee, after which the leader goes through the program with you to let you know how to do it....what to eat, etc. If you wanted the books you could purchase them right then at your first meeting for less than they're selling for on ebay ($9 each, I believe). Anyway, I guess my point is that for about $30 you could go get the info and the books then do it on your own, using 3fc for support and additional info. Just a thought! Good luck with whatever you decide!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #15  

We always have money for junk and fast food but complain about paying for WW and healthy food. If you want to do it, you will find the money. The problem with buying the stuff and never attending a meeting is you are just doing your version of WW without the support and explanations, etc. that go with it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote