Old 02-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 6

Default question for all you weight lifters

I started my diet two months ago. For the first month I did cardio 3 times a week for 30 mins. (just to get back into exercising). Then in February I added a half hour of weight lifting to my cardio. Ever since I started lifting I haven't lost any pounds. I am pretty sure I've lost some inches though. (I wish I'd measured when I started) Anyways, I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else. And if it has, how long was it until the scale started to go down again?
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Mandi -- I believe many people experience what you are going through. Pound for pound, muscle is more compact than fat, so if you gain a pound of muscle and lose a pound of fat the scale stays the same, but you get a little smaller! Happens a lot to people who lift a lot!

I haven't lost any weight in over 3 months, but I do lift regularly and have gone done a clothing size in that time. I think it's because I've gained some muscle and lost some fat.

If so, then my body composition is better -- less % fat and a greater % muscle!!

So, all to say sounds like you may be doing something right!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #3  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Yes, it happens to me too. I think that's why I'm on a bit of plateau right now. I've also heard that muscle likes to retain water, so that may be why too. Don't worry. The extra muscle is burning many more calories.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Muscle definitely retains water and also muscle takes up less space than fat in your body. So you can lose fat, gain muscle, be the same weight but a lot trimmer.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #5  

its happening to me, a very slow scale movement. dont worry about thescale right now, just take weekly measurments.
nilaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote