Old 02-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #1  
Thin Within

Arrow Steel Magnolias #11

HELLO MAGNOLIAS

Time to start a new thread, for old #10 is getting long. Hope all is well with everyone and you will have a wonderful weekend. I am making a huge pot of chili to take to our party and have made some mini corbread muffins. I am saving points to enjoy some good eats.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:00 AM   #2  

Good morning everyone! I am a little stuffed up from allergies so thought I would just get up. We have to get up and shower and stuff anyway at 5:30 so we can be at the tire place by 7 to get in when the first open. We have the dreaded commissary to do and then to Walmart's to get frozen meals for Jack.

Boy, my hormones have to be totally screwing me up. I was up 2.6 lbs this week. I have stayed on my points and walked everyday. You can actually see where I am losing weight now so I was upset for a bit because I knew I was not doing anything wrong but then told myself that next week would be better. I think one thing is the stupid woman that weighs you. The other woman isn't working there any longer and this woman gives you attitude in her voice when you gain like you committed a crime or something. She says things like, "Um, you are up this week, need to do better." Stuff like that. Irritates the heck out of me, but it is the only convenient place to go and the only day that is really convenient. They are all night meetings and I don't go out at night by myself around here.

Jean: Oh my gosh! I knew something was bad wrong with you. I kept thinking yesterday that you may be really sick. I hope your dr can get you all straightened out and get you to feeling better. We are having beautiful weather here. It was almost 70 yesterday. I even wore sandals!

Maggie: Hope your chili party goes well and you guys enjoy yourselves.

Everyone have a great Saturday and enjoy your day!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Arrow Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The party was so fun and the food was yummy. Several different kinds and degrees of chili and mine was the favorite. Not too hot but with a tad heat to it and had lots of flavor they say. My mini one point cornbread muffins were a hit also. I only will have to use a few of my flex points today and am glad I have them to spend.

FAYE I know how you feel. With your exercise and being OP with food you should have shown a loss. Our bodies do that to us and we have to not let it get to us (even though we do) because the weight will come off. That weigh in lady should just keep her mouth shut for she can run people off that way. Speak to your leader about her and maybe she will put a stop to it. The scale does not always reflect what our week has been like and we don't need to be told to "do better" when we have done our best. Slap that lady up side the head. Did I say that? Here is a hug for you Let's have a good week my friend. See I am reaching out to you.

JEAN Hope you are doing better this day. Know that I have you in my prayers.

Have a lovely afternoon all.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! After a morning of rain turning to ice/sleet, the snow has arrived. The whole state of Iowa is "white" on the latest weather map. Bob has 4 wheel drive so there was no problem getting to the hospital for my IV this afternoon; tomorrow may be a bigger challenge. The different activities around town for today, tonight, and tomorrow began canceling yesterday. We are not having church services tomorrow which is a first in the 31 years we have lived here. The parsonage is next door to the church and the minister always said if he could get to the church, there would be a service. However, that part of town is without electricity tonight and with the ice, climbing steps would be too risky even in daylight.

I had to go back to the doctor this morning because the red streak went beyond the line drawn yesterday. My white count was down which was good. My arm looks like I've been in a fight! The doctor drew a new line in a different color -- I'm so glad this isn't on my face or I would scare everyone! I'm on an additional oral antibiotic plus a prescription Motrin which I didn't know existed. She also said to apply heat either wet or dry and I asked if a cat would do. She replied, "of course! I have a cat too, and she thinks the recliner is hers!" All cats must think alike.

Maggie -- Thank you for the cute email cat! I'm not surprised that everyone liked your chili best. "You are a good cooker" as Jason used to tell my mom. Chili sounds good on a day like today! I think I have all the fixin's on hand and may just do that tomorrow. Thanks for starting the new thread.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about the gain . . . been there and done that way too many times. You will keep yourself going and show a loss next week! I agree with Maggie -- whop your WW leader along side the head! Maybe you will knock some sense into her. I almost think I would find out who her supervisor is and report her attitude which does no one any good. I wish I had your sandal weather . . . I'm ready!

Have a nice day tomorrow. I have a feeling we will be stuck at home again.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies! Today is clean the downstairs day so I am opting out of my walk this morning. The NASCAR race is in the mid afternoon today so I want to get finished before then so Jack isn't disturbed. He doesn't mind, but I do.

We had tons of rain yesterday so my house is a mess. We did the commissary and Walmart runs so we tracked in with wet shoes. I have ugly white linoleum so you know what that looks like when you get shoe prints on it.

I am in a crabby mood this morning. I don't know why, just feel like a grump. I am still having hormonal issues as I have a body indicator that always tells me when they are in a tizzy and when they are back to normal. I would say with what is going on, I am still at tizzy level! I told Jack last night to count his lucky stars he is a man and doesn't have to deal with bras and sore breasts! Sheesh!

Jean: I sure hope they get a handle on your infection and soon. I feel for you. Jack bent over the sink yesterday morning to wash his hands and did something to his lower back just standing there. He wore one of those heat wraps all day long. We went out to Walmart's last night to finish up the shopping and bought two more in case it hasn't gone away. It is a more controlled heat than he seems to be able to get with the heating pad or the Ben Gay type creams. They always burn his skin.

Maggie: Glad your chili supper was a rousing success. I may have told you this story, but it is worth repeating. My sil is a quiet man, with a warped and wicked sense of humor. You never see it unless you know him well, though. At one of the places he worked several years ago, his office had a just for fun chili cookoff. Everyone was supposed to make their favorite chili and they had "judges" for the best chili etc. Anyway, my sil comes home and had WON! Unbeknownst to even my dd, Tom had gone to Wendy's and bought a huge number of their cartons of biggy chili and put them in a pot and claimed it as his own! The man thought it uproariously funny that he won having submitted fast food chili! Now anytime I have chili from Wendy's, which I actually like quite a lot and it isn't bad on points for a lunch either, I call it "Tom's" chili.

My little LJ's overalls are done except for picking up stitches and knitting on the straps, putting on the snaps and sewing on the buttons when they get here. I found an adorable blue and tan striped onesie with a little dog on it saying, "Puppy Love" that looks great with it so I think it will be cute. I am not fond of how the thing is made, really, but I hope it will be ok for LJ.

Everyone have a blessed Sunday and if you are having inclement weather, stay warm and dry!

Faye
Old 02-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! I'm waiting for the next round of snow to hit tonight. We have a two hour late start tomorrow morning, but since I'm not going in I don't really give a rip. How's that for an attitude!? We both have cabin fever. Bob went to the office for a little while tonight and I went back to the hospital for my last (I hope!) IV this afternoon. They took the needle out and my arm is sore. I evidently didn't eat enough when I took my last round of meds last night because they came back up a few hours later. I didn't feel right when I went to bed so should have known something was brewing. I was up and down the rest of the night and cat-napped a lot today. I chucked the Motrin today and got along fine after waiting until noon to eat. I plan on sleeping tonight! I meet with my own doctor tomorrow so will be curious to have his input.

"Gma" -- My kitchen island looks like a tornado hit it! It is just too convenient to park stuff there thinking I will deal with it later. I will work on it tomorrow when I vacuum up the dust bunnies, fur, and crumbs in the daylight. I always seem to have more motivation in the mornings. I have grumpy moods once in awhile too, and I can't even blame it on hormones. I hope you are done with your tizzy level! The overalls outfit sounds so cute!

I'm off to do a load of laundry that I normally would have done yesterday. Have a marvelous Monday and smile!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #7  

Good morning ladies! I just did a mile walk, half of it uphill so I am pooped! It is around 40 degrees right now, but supposed to warm up into the upper 60's today, which I will gladly take!

Jean: I hope you are feeling better this morning. I chuckled at your cabin fever. After the kids left home, I worked because I was bored at home. Now, I told Jack on Saturday, I am becoming quite the homebody. I get lonely once in awhile, but for the most part, I enjoy being home and knitting and reading and such. I opted out of Red Hats because I wanted to do more than a once a month luncheon with a bunch of ladies who have their own little cliques and you sit there like a bump on a log. I am pretty outgoing, but when I would talk, I would get ignored or some short answer then they would turn back to each other. To heck with that!!!

Susan: Hope you had a nice time with your quilt retreat and Stan is coming along ok.

Maggie and Gloria: Hope your day is coming along well!!!

I finished the little overalls and they are so cute. I am waiting to post a picture until I get the buttons to put on them and the little shoes I bought to match. I have to find little doggie socks to go with them. On Saturday, at Walmart of all places, I found the perfect little onesie to go under it. It is baby blue and tan striped and on the left corner is a little dog and it says "puppy love." It looks really cute with the overalls. The only thing I don't like is the straps curl because they are stockinette. I pressed them with a steam iron and pressing cloth and even washed them, but they still curl. The ends of the strap curl up too. I hope the buttons are heavy enough to hold them down some.

I am back to knitting on my sweaters. I now have the back done on the peach one and am starting the front today. I want to get it done and maybe wear it to Indiana IF the weather decides it will warm up. It is very cold, snowy and icy up there at the moment.

We had a spectacular weathr weekend, getting into the
70's at one point. We took the car to get the new tires on and were there before they opened. We were the first customers of the day and after 90 minutes, Jack went to see what the holdup was as other customers that came after us were already gone! Well, first off, the idiot that was doing the job didn't read the service order and put the black temporary rims back on with the new tires even though the guy had written to put the new rims that were in the trunk on. The guy doing the job got mad at Jack when he complained! He had the service bay door open and closed it so Jack couldn't see in, so Jack promptly told the manager he wanted the door open so he could see that the guy didn't screw up again. Secondly, the tires they quoted us on the phone, they didn't have but one, then the tires they substituted for the quoted ones, they didn't have, but they never told us and put on Goodyear instead of Hercule tires, which were $20 apiece more. I was ready to go another round with a service guy like I did with the Firestone guy, but he said it was their mistake and he gave us the original quoted tire price. So, now we have new tires and all matching rims and the car looks nice again.

We went out shopping on Saturday night to Walmart's. We rarely go out at night here anymore. I just don't feel comfortable and I don't do it at all by myself unless I am going to someone's house like dd's. It was kind of weird being out at night! I felt like a vampire! We always get our frozen WW and Lean Cuisine there because they have a really good selection and we buy our little WW ice cream treats there too. I only like Diet Pepsi in bottles because I think cans make diet taste weird and I get those at Walmart too because the commissary only has cans. I also have to get my ff soft cream cheese at Walmart's because the commissary nor Kroger's has flavored ff cream cheese. I do wish they had something besides strawberry though. I did buy a light vegetable one and an onion and chive though for a little snack with pretzel sticks or something once in awhile.

Well, I am going to get the front of my sweater started then eat some breakfast! Everyone have a great start to the week!

Faye
Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #8  

Hello, ladies, I'm back from the land of Quilting - and in need of a rest! So you know it was a good time...we went all day, everyday. Classes were also good and I enjoyed everything - and didn't buy hardly anything. Just didn't see anything much I wanted to invest in. Got some applique and quilting needles with big eyes, 2 pair of earrings, a new thimble, and a carry along size of glue baste for my applique. There were 2 booths selling jewlery and one had bins with stuff marked down to $1 so I got 2 rather nice pairs of earrings for $1 each, regularly $6.95 and $9.95!

Faye, could you sew some elastic (without stretching), grossgrain or seam tape to the underside of the straps to keep them from curling?

I didn't do very well sticking with my food plan - it was buffet for lunch or subs, and stuff like that. And I saw a Snickers that just shouted my name on 2 different days...

Really missed my workout so will be glad to go to Curves tonight.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #9  

I got the buttons so I sewed them on the overalls and finished it up. I am including a picture of the shoes I bought to go with the outfit. I think they turned out cute.

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow MONDAY the 26th

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The wind is blowing the wind sock is out straight. The snow is supposed to dump 4 feet at 6000 and smaller amounts as it comes down to 2000. We may just get a skiff. I would really like to go up to the cabin and play in the snow which is at 6000 but we don't have a 4 wheel drive vehicle at the present and I don't want to drive that convertable up there in the snow. I want a Jeep Wrangler. So far we have owned 3 of them and keep going back to them so I think we just aught to get one and keep it and trick it out. I love the drive to town. The nut orchards are starting to bloom and they are georgeous. We count the red tail hawks we see and think it is the same ones that hold down the telephone poles along the way. They are too heavy to sit on the wires so they perch on the very tip top. Some smaller ones are starting to show up perched on the fence posts ~ babies growing up. Also there are several white egrets that are along the way. They tend to be along the water ways and creeks in the rolling hills that are cattle ranches. We also see a coyote once in awhile. Hear a lot of them at night. Life is good

JEAN You sound like you are feeling better. It is good that you are going back to the doc since that area is not shrinking as of yet. It may take some time for those IV drips to go to work and do their job. Did you get that kitchen isnand cleaned off?

FAYE That darling little outfit! I agree with Susan that you may want to sew a liner of ribbon on those straps. I have done that before and was so glad I did. Our Wal*Mart doesn't have a real good selection of WW friendly foods or they are always needing to restock. California won't let the Wal*Mart bring in the food section like out where you live. I used to love to shop there when we lived in TN. That tire shop needs to wake up and do right. What they did would make me go elsewhere in the future. I have no patience with folks that treat customers shabby. The good thing now ~ your car looks all spiffy and is safe with new tires.

SUSAN I can imagine you were having the time of your life with the quilters. What fun for you. It is good to have a desire to learn new things. I haven't made a quilt in years. Last thing I sewed was a sport jacket for Will out of linnen.

Gotta get going and do something constructive.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! I had a post already to go and the windows update butted in and I lost it! Bob is at the manor for a board meeting so I am home alone. We had bright sunshine this morning, but it disappeared around noon and it is gloomy and cold out there. More ice and snow is predicted for tomorrow night. *sigh* I went to visit my own doctor this afternoon and while the redness has deminished a great deal, he drew a new line around what is left and wants me to stay home again tomorrow. Since I'm off the IV he is concerned that the streak part may materialize again in which case he will give me the IV med in oral form along with what I am taking now. I feel good and think I should be doing some deep cleaning while I am home instead of sitting with my feet up. I did dump the shredded paper bucket and must have collected phone books along the line because I found several that were old and I pitched. I don't know why I don't do this stuff on a regular basis instead of letting it pile up.

It doesn't seem like Monday to me and I am really getting tired of being stuck inside. I'm not tired of being home, but I would like to go get groceries and maybe tour WM. *GASP!* I can't believe I actually said that!

"Gma" -- I'm sorry your Red Hat Ladies didn't pan out for you. It's too bad we don't all live close enough so we could have our own get togethers! Wouldn't it be nice if businesses would admit their mistakes right away, or better yet hire competent people? I placed a phone order for an introductory offer on some make-up. The phone rep could barely speak English, and at the end of the conversation she said I would be getting another shipment in 30 days. I explained I didn't want automatic shipping until I had tried the product and to take my name off that part of the order. She agreed. Well, the stuff came -- you guessed it. At the bottom of the invoice it says, "the next shipment will arrive in 30 days!" So I called Customer Service and explained the situation only to find out that I had a membership and had joined the group which entitles me to auto shipping! Needless to say, I got that changed in a big hurry including the fact that someone who couldn't understand English shouldn't be working on the phones. Wouldn't it be nice if all grocery stores were required to carry the same items? The outfit is so cute and I love the doggie shoes! The clothes for little boys are so much cuter than when Jason was little.

Susan -- I'm glad you enjoyed your quilt show. I knew you would! You will be back on your food plan and in the groove at Curves again asap. You are determined!

Maggie -- Yes, my island is clear except for the cat calendar and candle that reside there. Even Bob noticed it this noon. It will be interesting to see if you get some snow. I just never think of CA as having snow. I go back to my doctor in 10 days and he will check the spot. He mentioned using a steroid cream, the possibility of a biopsy depending on what it looks like, and/or going on to a dermatologist.

I need to call in for a sub tomorrow so better get it done. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #12  

Good morning ladies! Another day come and gone and a day closer to that baby's birth. We are getting so excited about it and looking forward to seeing the kids in a month.

Jean: Hopefully spring is just around the corner for you. We are having some beautiful spring weather already and I am hoping to get enough gumption to get out today and blow out the remaining fall leaves, spray the deck and set up the patio furniture and bbq grill. My sister is coming down here in three weeks, ugh, and I would like it to be set up. She is a smoker and I won't allow anyone to smoke in my house ever at all. It is bad enough I have to not only strip the sheets she leaves but wash the comforter, pillows etc too from the smoke on her skin. I keep hoping she will decide not to come. It is only for the weekend, but that is all it takes to drive me nuts, nuts, nuts. It is going to be a pain anyway because she is riding down with her dd, sil and granddaughter in their car and they are staying at a hotel with her soccer team. We will have to drive her all over to the hotel, to the soccer game, which is way out in Collierville, etc. I don't know why she couldn't have just stayed at the hotel overnight. I am not sure when they will be here, but Alycia has school so I would imagine they will leave on Friday at the earliest and then go back home on Sunday. Ahh well! I hope your "booboo" is getting better and you are feeling up and at 'em.

Maggie: I am really not a big Walmart fan, but it is the only place to get a good selection of WW, Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice and the like. I hate dealing with the big mess Walmart seems to be and half of them seem so dirty. There is a local northern chain called Meijer's that I like a lot. My dil is a pharmacist for them. They are the size of a Walmart's but better, much better and most of them are a lot cleaner. They also have a very nice bakery, fast food little diner, salad bar stuff, etc.

Susan: Sounds like you had fun even though you seemed to have a Snicker's stalking you! I hope Stan is doing well and feeling better.

I see by the clock it is almost time to get out and walk. I did do a mile yesterday and am going to aim for that again today.

You ladies have a good day.

Faye
Old 02-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #13  

We have sunshine! and 60 degrees - maybe winter is moving on finally. Do you realize we change the clocks ahead March 11! Soon we'll be complaining about the heat.

Faye - the picture actually came up on my computer for a change. The shoes and overalls are adorable!

Jean, I hope you get rid of that infection and back on your feet soon - I just hate to think about someone enjoying herself at home when I have to go to work!

So how much snow did you get, Maggie? I don't care if I never see snow again.

Stan has a "bug" - threw up his dinner last night and still felt upset stomach this morning. Or it could be because the renal failure is progressing. Dr. B said that is a symptom.

Social Security has screwed up my pension. I was supposed to get my first check the 14th - guess what, they never got my claim out of the local office. The lady said they would have to processit manually and then she would call me and let me know when to expect a check - that was a week ago and still no call and no check. So we are short on money since I cut back on hours. I have never seen anything as inefficient as a government office.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cloudy gloomy day in my neighborhood although it is 'warmer' around 37 degrees. I can tell that snow is melting from the curb into the street out in front. I've done a load of laundry and fixed hot tuna salad sandwiches for lunch. Bob has been and gone again. His cell phone quit working so we got new ones with all the bells and whistles we will never use. I just want to be able to make and take a call if I so choose. Anyhow, that's been my day so far. My knee is sore, but the redness is gone so guess I will be going to school tomorrow.

"Gma" -- It does seem that it would be alot simpler if your sister would stay at the hotel with everyone else. Maybe they don't want to room with a smoker either. I hope the weekend will go by quickly for you and without a whole lot of stress. Walgreen's has begun the demolition of the buildings located where they are going to build. I am so excited to have them come and compete with WM! I may never have set foot in WM again!

Susan -- I am supposed to stay off of my feet while I am home and that is not easy once I started feeling better. I get up to do something and then make myself sit down and put my foot up again. I think you should call the Social Security lady every single day until you get your check! Maybe she'd write you a personal one just to get rid of you! I agree about the incompetent people in government offices! I hope Stan is feeling better today.

Maggie must be having computer problems because I tried to reply to an email she sent to me and the error says that it was rejected by her server. Maybe she did get some snow after all.

I hear the dryer buzzing so need to fold some towels and start another load. Have a nice "rest of the day" and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:38 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Arrow Tuesday 27th

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

This is a quick note to say it didn't snow here. It has been raining to beat the band but the snow is in the mountains all around and didn't come down here. However, my server is acting up and that will be explained or ranted about later. I did get to read what all ya'll wrote and will be back anothr time.

Take care. Type at ya'll later