Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/248/168

Height: 5' 8.5"

Lightbulb Gold's versus Curves

I'm finding that I run out of motivation to exercise at home pretty quicky. I have a stationary bike and some light free weights. I'm considering joining a gym, but am feeling self conscious about working out in front of other people. In town, we have a Curves and a Gold's Gym, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts about one or the other.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi followthebeat,

If you are at all concerned about women's rights and reproductive freedom, don't give your money to Curves. The founder/CEO channels large sums of money (Curves profits) into anti-choice, anti-womens' sovereignty groups like Operation Save America. The man also served time in prison for failing to pay child support (irony, anyone?). I wouldn't join a Curves if it were the only gym in the world, but ymmv.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:19 AM   #3  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Do you have any hard evidence to back that up, baffled? My mom does Curves, and I used to; I've never heard anything about those kinds of practices. If there is some record of it, could you point me to it? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #4  

I'm not baffled but It's been well documented. You can start here:

http://www.operationsaveamerica.org/...central-tx.htm
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGAB6C1IO1.DTL
Old 02-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #5  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 235/192/170

As a past Curves employee of 3 years, and a current member...I highly recommend Curves to anyone. It's non-impact strength training is right for anyone, at any fitness level. The more YOU work, the better YOUR results. You'll hear people complain that they aren't getting anything out of the workout, and if you watch them workout...you'll see they are using the 30 minutes as a gossip session. You cannot hold a conversation and work out at your full potential.
Curves is very active in many community events as well, which I find very rewarding. They participate in March of Dimes, Breast Cancer awareness, Food Drives, Most clubs adopt a family at Christmas, etc.
If you're uncomfortable working out amongst men, which I think most women are as most gyms are meat markets these days....Curves may just be what you're looking for.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I really wish people would just consider facts before downing Curves for what the founder decides to do with his own money and time. Do people bash Microsoft because they don't agree with Bill Gate's political affiliations?

OP, if you're self-conscious about exercising in front of people, you're going to do better at Curves...IF you don't let the media hype leave you feeling that CURVES donates to organizations you don't agree with rather than the FOUNDER of Curves. Separate the two. He's going to make his money in one form or another, whether you join Curves or not.

Anyway, Curves is ALL women, and NO mirrors. That's what it's about. You don't have to look at yourself, don't have to worry about guys. And the women there aren't models. They're women just like you, some larger, some smaller.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsMommy View Post
You'll hear people complain that they aren't getting anything out of the workout, and if you watch them workout...you'll see they are using the 30 minutes as a gossip session. You cannot hold a conversation and work out at your full potential.
I noticed that same trend. I tried not to talk while working out. Even on the recovery stations, since I didn't believe in recovering so much as working out. I worked out on those too.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

Those two articles were eye-openers. Did you read them? If I was trying to claim that he funnels money into anti-women's groups, I would NOT have used the two articles you did. Those articles SPECIFICALLY show that he gives money (from his profits via Curves AND other income BTW) to organizations that will NOT perform abortions. They provide health care, adoption services, counseling to women, etc. Their ONLY difference is that they do not provide abortions. The man is a Christian. He will NOT fund something he doesn't believe in. So it gets twisted around to say he's funding something else he doesn't believe in, like anti-women groups, etc.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #9  
prepare for the BEST time

In the long run, you would get more value for your $$ out of joining Gold's...because of the variety...classes, wts, variable cardio, personal trainer option, free wts, machines, LOCKERS & SHOWER. some may have a pool

a co-ed gym isn't always a *meat market*, most people are there for the same purpose, physical fitness.

I joined my local curves for a short time, the prices were similar to what I paid for a Gold's membership, about $30.-35. per month plus the *initiation* fee of $150. it probably varies from state to state.

...I hated having to lock my purse in the trunk of my car, no locker room. Once you've mastered the machine, there is no way of increasing the weight to challenge yourself.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:36 AM   #10  
Resident Witchling

Thumbs down

Quote:
Do people bash Microsoft because they don't agree with Bill Gate's political affiliations?
I can think of better reasons to bash Micro$uck, like shoddy OS's and gaping holes patched way after the fact, etc...

Quote:
IF you don't let the media hype leave you feeling that CURVES donates to organizations you don't agree with rather than the FOUNDER of Curves.
Curves, the organization, does not. But the CEO of the organization DOES. With money that he makes from the women who join Curves.

Quote:
He's going to make his money in one form or another, whether you join Curves or not.
You're right. Just like Walmart isn't going to close down just because I don't shop there. But the loudest voice I have, as a consumer in this country, is with my money and where I spend it. So for the sake of MY conscience, I'm going to put my money towards businesses - and therefore the people who run them - that are oriented towards the things that I believe in. Throwing one's hands up and going with the crowd just because "it's going to happen anyway" is no solution.

Thanks for the links, Maria. I had not ever seen that stuff before - which is kind of surprising considering I work with my local Students for Reproductive Justice, and that's just the sort of thing we usually hear about.

I love the *concept* behind Curves. I enjoyed working out there, all those years ago. It's helped my mom immeasurably, because I KNOW she wouldn't be comfortable in a regular gym, and I'd rather she be doing *something* than nothing, even if I may prefer she do that something somewhere else. Priorities, y'know?

But I cannot in good conscience ever give my money to that organization again, knowing that it will (eventually) make its way upstream to a man who donates to those kinds of....organizations.

Again, thanks for the heads-up, Maria and baffled.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikaia View Post
But I cannot in good conscience ever give my money to that organization again, knowing that it will (eventually) make its way upstream to a man who donates to those kinds of....organizations.
What kinds of organizations would those be?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #12  
Resident Witchling

Operation Save America, for one - fiercely anti-choice organizations like that are NOT where I want my money going, however indirectly. CareNet, which instead of simply providing unbiased health care to women who ask for it, is designed to push women into doing things "their way". I'm pro-choice. I don't want my money supporting organizations whose purpose is to stop women from being able to get a safe and legal abortion.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I'm glad someone brought that up. Here's a salon article that discusses it in depth:

http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/featu...ves/index.html

You have to sit through a "commercial" to read it, but it's an interesting read, whatever your opinion is on the issue.

There's also an organization called "Curvers for choice" (curvers for choice dot org) of women who are pro-choice and use curves as a tool for their weight loss. If you want to join Curves and are hesitant only because of that, I'd check that out.

Personally, I've never stepped foot in one and don't plan to for that reason as well as the fact that I'd just rather go to a regular gym and do 60 minutes of cardio. Curves is great for some people I know, but not for me from what I know of it. I'm sure both gyms have a free pass; why not try them out and see what you like better? Good luck!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Gyms are really what you make them. You will get more versatility at Gold's. They will offer a variety of equipment and classes. If you aren't used to exercising, Curves may be a good start but you should outgrow it fairly quickly.

I belong to Bally's and I can say I enjoy the versatility. It isn't a meat market although occassiionally you will get the girls who definitely appear to be there to attract guys.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Weii, I belong to Curves and get a lot of benefit from it. Personally I think this discussion of where the owner spends his monry is ridiculous. Do you Know , or care where your grocer spends his income, or the shoe shop owner, how about the beauty shop owner, the car dealer? It is their business just as it is my business to spend my income as I wish.My gosh, if we worried about where every merchant spent his income we would be ready for the nut house.
Closed Thread