General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'10

Default Frustration with commercials

Hi Everyone! I'm very frustrated with commercials. I was just wondering if anyone else notices this....

There are sooooo many commercials for "miracle" weight loss solutions. If they aren't showing us those, its commercials for McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Dominos, Pizza Hut, chocolate and the list goes on! And if they're not showing us food, then its commercials including unrealistic images of women who are too thin.

What are these people trying to do to us???

AHHHHHHH
Old 02-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is simple, they want to sell their product, they don' care if we are healthy or are trying to lose weight.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad I don't watch commercials anymore. I only watch DVDs which don't have commercials. I love my Netflix.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I usually have a book or magazine in my lap so when the commercials come on, I start reading. I also TIVO a lot of my programs so I can skip over the commercials--it saves so much time!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #5  
Token Vulcan

I tape most of what I watch and I skip the commercials. If I am watching "live", sometimes I'll mute it and go on my laptop. Or I'll flip on the radio and see if there's a good song playing and I'll move a little bit. I do like all the various Geico commercials, though, even though I don't own a car. The caveman, Charo, the movie announcer guy, the gecko...cute stuff.
But, yes, I have noticed the kinds of ads they aim at audiences they expect are primarily women. I agree that it's purely a matter to them of us being consumers. The whole point of marketing is to convince consumers that they will somehow be better off with whatever product is being hocked. They know how to exploit weak spots in people and strike nerves. And it's not just commercials. There are various media that, through the years, have really done numbers on people's psyches, I think, especially women.
Closed Thread