Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-23-2007, 12:52 AM   #1  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Default Buca di Beppo HELP!!!

Ok, one of my best friends wants to do her birthday dinner @ Buca di Beppo (www.bucadibeppo.com) - and any of you who's been there know what that means... family-style portions (each platter is s'pose to serve 4-6), and I have a feeling I, being the solo person watching my figure @ the table of 7-8, won't have much say in getting a salad platter or roasted veggies -- nor do I want to stick out by ordering an individual thing for myself while everyone else is happily sharing away.

I'd try to portion control except, surprise surprise, Buca doesn't post nutritional info for ANYTHING -- their reasoning is that since everything's "family-style" it's hard to determine calories since individuals will take different portions. GAH!!! Just gimme the nutritional info for the whole platter and I'll divide it myself. Regardless, I plan on taking items in sensible amounts.

*end rant*

Anyhoo, any suggestions y'all can recommend will be much appreciated -- of course, I'm more than prepared, if need be, to chuck this as a "splurge day" and just get back on the track the day after.... *sigh*
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:15 AM   #2  
Bek

S/C/G: 204/159/139

Height: 5'7"

Ya ya , I say splurge day. Or..........just try to keep really reasonable portions, larger salad, ez on the dressing etc.
Bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

If it's family style, just do the best you can. Are there really restaurants where you don't get to pick your own entree?? I would have such a hard time with that.

Go in, resolve NOT to touch the bread basket, get ONE alcoholic drink (if you drink), and make a ONE PLATE rule. You can serve yourself food to fill one plate (concentrating as much as possible on grilled fish, salad, tomato-based pasta sauce, AVOID fried foods, pasta with cream sauces, and super cheesey baked stuff - lasanga, eggplant parmesan) and do not get seconds. Resolve to share a dessert with the table, put your spoon down between bites.

Eating out is part of life, this is a good trial run for MAINTENANCE. You are already following good habits, like trying to find out the nutritional info before hand.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:14 AM   #4  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Strangely enough, this Saturday night I'm going to Buca di Beppo as well for my birthday dinner. Personally, I'm just going to write it off as a splurge considering it's my birthday celebration (even though my real b-day isn't until Tuesday). I haven't really had much pasta or fattening things since I started eating healthier, so I figure I can afford one night of splurge. However, if you want to try and stick to being healthy, I agree with Glory. Even if you get salad though, watch their dressings (or anyone's for that matter). Even something seemingly harmless like a balsamic vinaigrette can vary greatly from restaurant to restaurant in terms of sugar and calories. Avoid the fried stuff and things that are in butter or cream sauces. Order things light on the cheese. If all else fails, really really pay attention to what you're eating and stop when you're satisfied. I know at restaurants like that I tend to load up on food and eat everything without thinking about it, and I feel gross and uncomfortably full in the end. The one plate rule might be a good guideline, unless their plates are huge. I can't remember if they are.

Most importantly, have fun with your friend!!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

HEY AQUA ~ My take on it is the same as Thanksgiving, you will probably go over whatever your allotment is for the day. Big deal, as my mom always says "don't sweat the small stuff", she has been around a long time. And so will you be, it is only one day out of your entire life...not even a day really, a few hours. Enjoy the time with your friends, eat right during the day and have as sensible meal...then...walk out PROUD! of yourself!! HAVE FUN! I have never been to one, my kids go to the one close to us, my wife has gone with her friends..they all love it!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Buca is where I had my wedding reception

You might want to watch your calories especially during the days before going there, then portion control yourself as best you can. They do have healthier options but it depends on how you and your friends order.

Although in my opinion their food is average but OMG their cheesecake and chocolate cake are awesome
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote