Old 02-22-2007, 04:16 PM   #1  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Question Let's talk about the water again

Some say to drink, drink, drink...more is better. Some say you get all the fluids you need from your regular food and beverages. Some say you feel less hunger. Some say you lose weight quicker or easier when you drink lots of water. Some say drink when you're thirsty and don't worry about it because your body will tell you what you need.

I struggle with trying to drink more water and I wonder if its really worth the fight. What do you say? What is your personal experience with water? Has drinking more water actually improved your life or health in some tangible way?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Personally, and I stress that this is just my personal experience, I lose best and FEEL best when I drink a large quantity of water (3-5 L a day). This is WAY too much for most people, but I space it out over the day, and it really works for me. I feel more awake, I have better endurance in my workouts, and the scale moves much more quickly. It also makes me less susceptible to salt-bloating and water retention, which I despise. For me, it is absolutely key.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I drink an awful lot. At least 80 oz. a day. It keeps me full. It keeps me satisfied. And I firmly believe it helps me to lose weight. Science, studies, people - all will tell you different things. I've heard that it is essential to weightloss and I've heard (although a lot less) that it's not a major factor. I just know what works for ME. I drink a lot and I've been losing a lot. Somewhere in the middle of my journey I decided to increase my water intake and I believe that is one of the reasons I have yet to hit a plataeu. Could I be wrong? Yup. Am I? I really don't think so.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I too drink a lot of water. I don't drink anything else (2 cups of black coffee in the morning and a cup of hot green tea in the evening) I am sure I drink 80 -100 oz. a day. I have always been a water drinker though, so it isn't hard for me to do. And I (knock on wood) have had great losses every week consistently for the past 7 (will be 8 tomorrow!) weeks.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

I, too, believe that drinking water affects my weight loss drastically. At the very least, it makes you feel full and gives you something to do (rather than grab a candy bar from a vending machine). I think it affects my skin health and I also agree that it makes me feel more energetic but also sated. It also eliminates any water retention.

I aim for 64 ounces a day, minimum. I also drink milk on my cereal, coffee with milk for breakfast, tea in the evening. I have one 32-oz jug during the day at work, and one at home in the evening.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

When I completely cut sodas (regular AND diet) out of my life I and switched to water I was shocked when I didn't lose weight. However, after reflection I think it is because I always used sodas as a snack...so when they were out I just switched to another unhealthy snack! DUH! However, I did notice that I retained less water. Now that I'm watching what I eat and scrutinizing everything that goes into my body I generally get about 100 oz of water a day. I almost never have my fingers swell...my wedding ring actually twirls again! I also have noticed improved skin, better sleeping, body temperature regulation, and lack of general irritability. HOWEVER, icewater does NOT make me feel full. It leaves a cold, heavy, empty feeling in my stomach. So I generally try and drink room temp water. It just goes down a lot easier for me.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #7  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I can't say much in the ways how it helps you. I am really on the opposite end of the spectrum. I hate drinking water and it used to get to the point that I would have maybe a glass a day, but not until I started to get a headache from being dehydrated. Lately to ease me into drinking more water I have been tricking myself with Crystal light. I can drink a pitcher easy. I like the iced tea flavors, but all are good. I drink them from the pitcher at home and use the TO-GO water bottle variety when I am at work. It helps. You may want to give it a shot.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I do better with my water room temperature too.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #9  

I'm learning to drink water. I'm up to a liter a day. I found the easiest way to increase my water intake is make it easyto reach. i'm lazy so I keep a six pack of bottled water next to the couch. It's evian because I like it warm or cold and I like being naive backwards. (Yeah my friends think I'm pathetic since I've turned into a water snob. They love pointing out how evian is naive backwards.) Anyway since increasing my water I notice that I feel crummy when I don't drink enough. I didn't feel different when I was trying to increase it but I can tell now when I haven't had enough. I love Kae's ideas and drink however much you feel comfortable with. FYI drinking more water two days before giving blood makes it a much quicker easier process.
SeekingBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Thank you for your responses. Some of you have lost a lot of weight....so, I'd be a fool not to incorporate the water into my plan like you all have done. So, here goes the water jug tomorrow. And, just think of the exercise I'll get going back and forth to the bathroom all day!

Royalsfan - I hope I can see the swelling go down in my fingers, too. I havent been able to wear my wedding rings for almost a year now. Either my fingers have gotten too big because of the weight, or my hormone therapy has made my fingers swell. I can't really tell. I can't wait until I can put my rings back on again!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #11  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I drink 3 - 46 ounce bottles of water a day, so, 138 oz of water a day. During my recent stall, I realised I was down to maybe 20 ounces of water a day and more than 60 ounces of hot tea. Once I brought the water back in, I had an immediate 5 lb loss. WIll that happen for you? No idea. I know for me, water is a HUGE part of my weight loss. It also helps me control and regulate my hunger more easily. Alot of the time, I mistake hunger for thirst and snack, granted its apples, carrots, grapes etc, but its food when what I really need is water. Those are calories I could have avoided. I've also noticed a slide the last 2 days in water intake, and along with it, my calores went right back up. Some days, I'm really busy, away from home and just forget to bring my water, which is what happened today. So, I bought a 2/5 cases of water from Wal-Mart and they're stashed in my trunk again, normally something I wait for summer to do.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #12  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Water Water Everywhere

Drinking lots of water has made a HUGE difference in my weight loss efforts. I lost 6 pounds the first two weeks of January just drinking 8 glasses of water a day and cutting out fast food. After that, I started the South Beach program and lost another 21 pounds.

Water fills me up, makes me feel better and definitely helps in the digestion. I substitute it for most beverages, aside from coffee, tea and the occasional diet soda. Before I realize it, I'm already halfway through my goal of 8 glasses of water a day.

There's no doubt in my mind that drinking water is instrumental in achieving weight loss.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #13  

Hi Ronda,

Answering your question; I drink loads of water. From 3 to 4 litres a day. Truthfully I did not start drinking that much water until a few days back when a trainer told me that if I wanted to lose weight the best way was to keep hydrated and drink loads of water.

So I followed his advice and for me, it works. Seriously. Nowadays I tend to eat much less because I feel full and my lips tend not to dry up that fast (had a looong history of dried lips). The only bad thing about it is that I now have got cooked food in the fridge waiting to be eaten since I have not quite figured out how to cook smaller meals.

shockingp.
shockingpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post

Royalsfan - I hope I can see the swelling go down in my fingers, too. I havent been able to wear my wedding rings for almost a year now. Either my fingers have gotten too big because of the weight, or my hormone therapy has made my fingers swell. I can't really tell. I can't wait until I can put my rings back on again!
Rhonda - Isn't always the "little" things that seem the most exciting? I mean, it would only be someone who has ever been overweight who would understand how exciting it is to have a ring twirl! Here's to your rings fitting, SOON!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I too drink a ton of water.. I'm only at week 2 for my weight loss journey so I don't really know if it affects me or not! I actually started drinking the water for an entirely different reason. For the longest time I was severly anemic and I had this overwhelming desire to chew ice. The water just kind of came along with it! Now that I'm taking a one a day vitamin (okay okay Flinstone's chewables with iron because I have a sensitive tummy) I no longer chew the ice.. Well.. not as much.. I still consume a bunch of water though! My only down side is that by the time I get home from work I don't want water anymore.. And since I don't drink milk and can't drink sodas or juice due to diabetes, I get stuck on what to drink. I did buy some V-8 though, helps with the craving to drink something other than water.
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote