Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #1  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

Smile Favorite Exercise Videos?

Hello everyone!

I'm new to exercising (although I used to), and am interested in trying out some DVDs to work out to. I'm wondering if I can get some input on which ones you guys like?

I'm primarily interested in the following activities:
-cardio strip tease
-yoga
-pilates
-some sort of dance?

But, I am open to other possibilities.

TIA!
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

It's going to be different for everyone. I personally prefer the WATP tapes because:

a) No coordination is necessary. Since I have none, that's a good thing.

b) There's no learning curve. So unlike "The Firm" and "Dance Crunch" videos I have, I don't trip over my own feet trying to learn the steps that I can't remember the next time I do it.

c) They're faster paced. I've tried yoga for awhile. I just get too easily bored with something that moves so slowly and where I don't actually "feel" the burn. If I'm not feeling it, is it really burning a lot of cals?
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/289/265.5 (10% Goal)

Height: 5'9"

I second WATP (Walk Away The Pounds). First exercise tape that I've done more than once!
compscinerdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #4  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Red face

Actually I love WATP and it helped me build up to where I am now, but I just needed a break and wanted to try different moves.

I like Yoga booty ballet, but my favorite right now is the Prevention Fitness with Chris Freytag. There are other instructors, but I don't click with them like I do with Chris.

Yoga booty ballet is dancey and has some nice yoga stuff if you google yoga booty ballet and review there are some good reviews as well as on amazon.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 02-22-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #5  
...to everything

I've heard a lot of people mention the WATP tapes (That's Walk Away The Pounds, right?). What, exactly, are they all about? I'm intrigued... is it just walking? Cuz in addition to doing exercise videos, I'm going to start the couch to 5K running program I've heard about.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #6  
...to everything

Oops, looks like I posted at the same time as a couple of other people!

Yoga booty ballet sounds really intriguing! I'm going to have to look into that one for sure.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #7  
it's always something

I just got Zumba yesterday, and it looks like a lot of fun! I'm afraid I don't have much input yet, but I'm looking forward to using it.

www.zumba.com
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #8  

Check collagevideo.com for all sorts of video reviews.

If you're fit and active enough to be starting C25K you might want a video that's more difficult than WATP.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #9  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

There is a yoga booty ballet (YBB) thread some where, and others like turbo jam. Also agree with the WATP fitness. For some its is great to stick to it and work on going more miles and the variation videos. For me I like the challenge of learning steps and I have a few DVDs of different things so it isn't as repetitive.

Right now my favorite is 3-2-1 circuit. It is 3 min cardio, 2 min strength, 1 min abs. You do it 6 times focusing on a different area for each section.(arms, back, shoulder, legs, butt. and chest) Each section has its only theme (yoga, boot camp, sports etc...)

Ok you didn't ask all of that, but there it is. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 02-22-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I recently checked out some from the library. I'm not sure what I want to buy. I'm making notes as to which DVD it is and what I like and dislike about it. Also, how I feel a few hours after doing it.

This weekend will be some yoga DVDs coming home with me.

I haven't seen anyone mention Push TV yet. I'm curious about those as well. However, they aren't at the library.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/159/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey-I've tried a few dvd's to find one that is good for my low co-ordination level.I really like video's from Ellen Barrett.Not really dancey-more pilates/ballet type with good cardio. Google her and there are several titles that are easy to find in most department stores. I always feel like i get a decent work out, and can always choose her low intensity moves on lazy days!!
lids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #12  

I take a Zumba class offered by my town. I love it! I am not very coordinated, so I took the first 4 -6 weeks and learned the steps and then added the arms in later when I got the hang of it. It doesn't seem as much like a workout (although it really is) because it's fun! I usually watch the clock when I'm in an exercise class, but the Zumba class is so fun that the time goes by much faster! I have spent most of the morning contemplating whether I want to order the dvd's so that I can do it at home too!

I also have the Carmen Electra's Aerobic StripTease DVD. Once again I am very uncoordinated. I have only done the instructional portions (that take about 45 minutes) and it seems to be a good workout. You can also do the workout straight through once you learn it. The total workout is only about 14 minutes, but you can go through it several times to get a longer workout.
ksk571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

WATPs is based on 4 basic steps. You march in place, side step, do kicks and knee lifts. She adds other moves, like raising the arms above the head or wide clapping while side stepping, or reaching for the feet when kicking. I've done so many of these videos that sometimes I take to doing jumping jacks or jump rope motions or twists in place of the walking in place, then join in on the other steps they do. But it's mostly walking, and they keep upping the pace by speeding up the music that you walk to.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #14  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

YBB is my favorite- I have a couple of them. I love the feeling of peace afterwards- you feel clean, powerful, and graceful afterwards (and you move muscles that may have never felt before).
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 205/173/145

Height: 5'8"

I just bought the two set of New York City Ballet DVD's. I absolutely love them! Not only do you not have to know ballet, it is almost relaxing to do. My muscles have become more toned and I have better posture. Defently worth the $30.
lblodgett is offline   Reply With Quote