South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/145/115

Height: 5'2

Default Southbeach is depressing me...

Hi all,

I've recentley started the SB diet so I'm on Phase 1. But it's my third day, and I don't think I can do it anymore...

I get SO irritated from the smallest of noises. Like someone coughing or sneezing. I just want to snap at them. My patience is limited. And I've become constantly depressed, even though everything around me is going perfectly okay. I broke down in tears today and I wasn't sure why, but I couldn't stop.

Is this what lack of carbs does to you? But can it be that extreme? I'm starting to feel like this diet is not good for me or that I won't go through with the whole 14 days. It's only day 3, and I'm already ready to kill.

And I've calculated my calorie intake out of curiousity and despite all the cheese, veggies, eggs and meat I'm eating, I consume a spankin' total amount of 700-800 calories. What else can I eat? I'm getting bored...and depressed.

Thanks for your advice in advance!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

I am not on the sb diet. I no longer believe in diets. Back to you. You have to consume more calories. I don't now what you can eat. How about a salad with lots of veggies. I would be cracky too. I usually eat double that and still lose 1 -2 lbs a week.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:04 PM   #3  

Apparently, it's a lifestyle change. But in order to get over cravings, you have to undergo mental torture for 2 weeks. I can't stand vegetables. I'm basically shoving the salad so quick in mouth at lunch so I won't have to taste the lettuce...or brocoli...and whatnot. I can't wait till this is over so I can go back to my precious fruit..
Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I know it is practically considered heresy to suggest modifying an popular food plan, but HEY somebody made this up, and nothing says you can't modify it or make up your own program - and see if it works for you.

That being said. If you find the induction phase impossible to do - then don't do it. Go on to the next phase, and don't feel any guilt about it. Give that a try and see how that works.

No food plan will work if you can't work it. If you find it unbearable, it will be to easy to give up entirely, if you don't find a food plan you can stick with.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

My sister loved SB diet... she lost a lot of weight on it after having her 3rd child. She raved about it. I decided to try, got the book, got the cookbook, I was motivated, I went and bought all the correct foods... I was ready. The only problem was I felt terrible on it within the first couple days. I stuck with it for a week, but I didn't feel better. I had headaches, felt very weak, lethargic, tired, no energy. So after the first week, I quit. This was about a year ago, btw. My sister was shocked at how it made me feel...she said she felt great on it. So, maybe it affects people differently? I count calories now (I use fitday), and while I do sometimes wish I could eat more, I feel good. I try to eat healthy foods that are well balanced and shoot for 1200, but am usually more like 1300 sometimes 1400 and of course there are some bad days in there too.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide. I know a lot of people do really well on SB, but I wasn't one of them, and maybe you aren't either. We all have to do what is realistic and feasible for us, or else we won't stick with it.

Take care
Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 170

Height: 4' 11"

I haven't posted for a couple of weeks. I was doing so good lost 10 pounds in a little over 2 weeks. Now I can't get under 160 pounds. It has happened before, and I get so depressed and give up. I havn't been sticking to the sbd for the past week and a half. I am going back on it tomorrow. It was nice out today almost 40 degrees. I got out in the yard for awhile. Now we are suppose to be getting snow sat, sun and mon. I was hoping that I could start walking. I need al the encouragement that I can get. I talked to someone in tops. I might go to a meeting on thursday. thanks for listening. Joyce
Old 02-22-2007, 01:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

The thing with South Beach is you HAVE to eat your veggies and beans, it makes such a huge difference! When eating veggies, I don't count lettuce, I also make sure to get 4 cups of veggies in a day. Another important thing for me is to make sure I am having enough low fat dairy, it really helped with keeping me sane. And I had to make sure to take a multivitamin, otherwise I felt weak.

You can do this, you just need to be sure this is the right diet for you. It's not temporary, it's definitely a lifestyle.

-Aimee
Old 02-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #8  

You are most definitely not eating enough!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #9  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

The chicks are right you are not eating enough, the first few days are the hardest as you are detoxing from the sugar. You need to eat more veggies. Why don't you jot down what you are eating and let us see your menu plan and we can help you and see where you are lacking. As Swimgirl said you can add beans and lentils and that will help. Try not to think about what you can't have but what you can have. Good luck
Old 02-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wow, Remember, you're having a hard time! I'm so sorry that it's making you feel so bad. What really made me sure I was doing the right diet was when I felt like that and realized what a terrible hold sugar had on my life. I felt like someone in a movie that was detoxing from some powerful drug...like I needed a padded cell to bounce around in. Do you feel like that? I think if you do, it's proof that you are doing the right thing, not the wrong one.

That feeling usually lasts from 3-5 days. The rest of the time on P1 just gets your body set up for success on the rest of the program. So you won't feel like this for 2 weeks. If you do, I'd go see a doctor...it's not the plan, it's something else that either was covered up by sugar or that just happened to show up with all this.

One thing you can do to help is consume carbs that are legal in P1. They really ease the transition without adding cravings! Make sure you are having beans, legumes (like chickpeas), bell peppers, and tomatoes. I find that homemade 3 Bean Salad helps immensely. It's got veggies in it (green beans) to make you feel more full, protein to keep you full longer, good fats to help your heart and give you a more full feeling, beans for the carbs and the fiber that will keep you regular (constipation can be a problem in P1 because you aren't getting as much fiber...especially if you're counting lettuce as a veggie). I suggest mixing some up today!

For more veggie ideas, check out this post. I hear you on veggies...I hated them before I started SBD! I wrote a PM to another member about this but I think it might help to post it as a thread so others can add their advice. Here it is, the "I Hate Veggies But Need To Eat More" thread!

However, veggies are not going to up your calorie count more, and honestly, that's the most worrisome thing in your post, hon. You HAVE to eat at least 1200 calories for your body to avoid starvation mode. Right now, you might not be cranky from cravings...you may be cranky from starvation! There was a great thread on this that you can read here. It has lots of helpful suggestions on how to eat more. (Who'd think we'd need advice on that? )

Hope you feel better soon. Keep checking in with us, hon. If you eventually decide SBD isn't for you, that's fine. But make sure you've given it a real try first.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #11  

Wow, thank you all for the overwhelming response! It made me think a lot about what I was doing...

Cravings for sweets aren't really my biggest problem-- wait never mind, it's one of them-- I just get this overwhelming urge to have carbs...lots of them.

My staple Oatmeal Cookie...oh how I miss it. So carby and sweet!

You see, I was living a Phase 2 lifestyle in the first place. I had no form of bread that wasn't whole wheat. And I ate a ton of fruit and dairy. But I was generous on the sweets, I admit. So I guess what I should emphasise from now on are vegetables...and emancipate myself from sweets lol.

But here's an example of a day on SBD:

Breakfast:

-Cottage Cheese, with sliced Cucumbers or Tomatoes -OR- Eggwhite Omellet with brocoli and cheese
-V-8

Snack:

-String Cheese and half a cucumber -OR- FF Yougurt (is that allowed on Phase 1 by the way?)

Lunch:

-Chili (Lots of sliced peppers, meat and red beans) -OR- Turkey slices with salad
-Crystal Light

Snack:
Veggies with little dip

Dinner:
-Whatever my mom makes sans carbs. For instance, she made lasagna the other day, I pretty much picked out the meat and cheese

It's hard when you don't control what gets to be in the house. About needing to eat more, well for the past two days, I've gone on a cheese overload. I don't like it. I would have had some veggies, but there's only so much you can eat...

I was about to pick up some smoked almonds today, but the fact that only a 1/4 cup is about 300 calories scares the living day lights out of me. I'll manage to get over my fear and get them tommorrowl; God knows those 300 calories are what I'm exactly missing from to make up for my eating, or shall I say, lack of? If not, peanut butter sounds nice....anyway, I digress.

Thank you all for your input! I'm off to read beachgal's links!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #12  
Working for the Cruise!

I've been there. I remember detoxing from Atkins and SB. Being an expert at falling off the wagon, I can tell you how much it sucks when you do it over and over again. HOWEVER, this will pass. Just hold on to that thought.

It is most definitely a mental thing. Think positive!

One last note......during phase 1 I would never recommend counting calories. This isn't a counting diet. Eat what you are allowed. Worry about the calories, if you must, after you feel better. (or of course if you start to turn green from too many veggies! )

Hang in girl, you're tough to even start this diet!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #13  
Groovin 4 a small planet

S/C/G: 2002: 205/129 Now: 155/144/125

Height: 5'4

Be careful with your dinners. Although you are cutting out the obvious carbs, you may be consuming hidden carbs (like sugar filled sauce in the lasagna). Here's an idea-get a big pack of chicken breats, and grill them or cook them in a pan with as little oil as you can. Store them in the fridge so you have them on hand. Make a huge slad, and store it in tupperware in the fridge. Make THAT your main dish for dinner, and consider it a treat if there is something you can nibble on sans the carbs if your mom makes something else. This way, you are staying on plan for the majority of dinner, and maybe having a taste of what you like.

You are doing great, don't get discouraged.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #14  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

Hi

Just reading your post. First of all lifestyle changes can be frustrating. I nearly cried the other day when my D.H. (thinking it was old) threw out the chicken that I was saving for lunch. Talk about going over the edge! It happens.

FYI- As far as the amount of food...I pretty much eat all day long...vegtables, cheese, nuts... S.F. yogurt with spenda...all SB safe (something yummy and sugar free, candy, icecream 1-2 times a day. I have never counted anything and still lose a good amount of weight as long as I don't cheat.

Funny thing I ate S.B. with a 'cheat' once a week plus cookies and candy during Christmas and still managed to lose 1 lb in December.

Don't forget to exersize--go for 30 mins per day.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by little chick View Post
Try not to think about what you can't have but what you can have. Good luck
I think the above statement is most important. I have not lost a lot of weight on this diet and the past week I have not been a very good girl. That said though, since Jan 2, I have lost 10 pounds. Very slow going for me and I was very faithful. My daughter thinks it is due to the fact that I was not a carboholic to begin with.

I know that like others here have said it is very important to have things ready to grab and eat when you get hungry and weak. The headaches and all of that goes away after the first few days. I think you are probably through the worst of it.

Good luck with your endeavor.

NYcousin
Closed Thread