Old 02-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #1  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Red face Embarassed

The girls at my job are having a weight contest to see who loses the most weight in the next to months. I would love to enter, but I'm too embarassed to reveal my weight, specifically the fact that I weigh over 300 lbs. We are all on a healthier eating path, and we all share our losses, but I've never told them how much I actually do weight and how much I need to lose. I'm too ashamed.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Honey I'm doing a Biggest Loser like competition at work right now and only ONE person knows my weight, the person that logged it all down.. Maybe you can do it like that? You could even offer to be the record keeper. Besides, to make it fair you should do it by percentage.. and that way know one knows any one else's weight. *hugs*

I swear, when I get under 300 I'm telling EVERYONE what I used to weigh. LOL
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #3  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

Ive been doing weight loss challenges on another board and we do % lost too, because some of us weigh more than others. It was soooo hard for me to join in, because we have to send a photo of the scale before and after, and it was hard to admit how much I weighed. The first time, I sent the photos privately to the owner of the challenge. This time around, I posted the pic of my weight publicly with the other ladies. I still weigh more than they do, but I'm losing and I'm so proud of that. Noone's going to think badly of you for wanting to lose weight and be healthy, no matter how much you weigh.
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

For me, it would depend. Especially at work, we have to see these ppl 5 days a week. Would I want them to know what I weighed if I worked with nothing but people who wore size 6 and under. No, probably not. But, if they're all "average" women or women above average, I would probably tell them. Who better to help you than people who see you so often? And! Who better to celebrate with you than people who know how far you've come?

I worked for an elite cookie place in los angeles, the city of underweight people. 3 full time employees, besides myself. 1, the owner, very fit, trim, athletic, 1 the head baker, overweight, tall gay guy, 1 dishwasher/baker, very short, very round, not fat, just chubby and me. In all my fat glory. My biggest supporters for weight loss, were the tiny, athletic owner and the baker. I was ashamed to tell them how much I weighed, but the owner always brought in breakfast and lunch for everyone from the cafe across the street, and she started bringing in healthier choices, she had her own nutritionist come have lunch with us one day, so I got a "free" session, she introduced me to her ballet teacher who I still love and she worked out with me. She truly was a very good hearted person. She always did it in a loving manner, never any of that, "You're so utterly fat" way, and she let me bring my daughter to work with me the first year after she was born. Thinking about it now, I miss that job, not so much the money that was great but the people I worked with.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #5  
one sexy science teacher

S/C/G: 231/194/130

I understand exactly what you are going through... I finally got the motivation to lose the extra person worth of weight I'm carrying around with me and I was hesitant to tell my co-workers anything about it, mostly because I was afraid I was going to fail. One of my co-workers is a friend of mine out of work, and in an out-of-work converstation I mentioned my weightloss to her. She was so excited about it (I told her after my first weigh-in where I had a 4.5 lb loss) that she told the rest of my co-workers. I was pretty upset at first, but it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me. I now have a group of ladies who are super supportive and compliment me on my progress and food choices. My team leader even got me grapes and an apple for our meeting on valentines day because she didn't want me to go without a snack. It was super embarassing for me at first, especially admitting to my starting weight (I was such an athletic stick in H.S.) but having that support group is an awesome thing.
haeyu14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #6  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

Thank you ladies for your input. I don't know what my hesitation is. These are my "girlfriends". We eat lunch together everyday. We go out to dinner or for drinks on occasion. I'm absolutely SURE that them knowing what I weigh won't change a thing. They are all average to overweight (no skinny mini's in our group... LOL) and we're all trying to get healthier together. My hang up is me. It would probably be liberating to let it out. I'll definitely think about it.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #7  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

The liberation chord struck something with me. I never ever let Matt know what I weighed, until I got pregnant. He's one of those dads that tries to go to every single OB visit, and he goes to every single well baby visit. In fact, since we got pregnant with our 3 yr old, we've had another child, through both pregnancies and all their doc visits, he's only missed 1 appt.

When he finally knew what I weighed, he wasn't upset, disgusted etc. But, I was so ashamed. We met when I was 127. He knew me underweight, he knew me overweight. Changed nothing. When the scale gives me somthing, he's the first person I tell. But until he knew what I was starting with, he couldn't have been the great cheerleader he is now, yanno?
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I can totally relate to this. We did a contest at one of my former jobs, and one woman kept all the information so we didn't have to tell everyone. But I can relate to this in ALL aspects of my life, because I've never wanted to tell anyone what I weigh. I'm just starting to open up about it now because I'm losing the weight and so many people want details. I told my mom and one of my sisters when I started this, and my best friend has always known, but no one else knows I used to weigh 275. I think I'm eventually going to tell my husband, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet!!

We talked about this on another thread, and we talked about how liberating it is to reveal this stuff on 3FC. It helps me so much that I can put my real numbers out there and talk to people about them without feeling like I'm being judged. Isn't it wonderful that we have this great group of people to be open with, when it's tough to do that in our daily lives?

When I reach my goal, who knows...I'll probably shout it from the mountaintop that I used to weigh 275. "And look at me now!!!"
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #9  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

Yes, definitely when I reach my goal, I will write it in the sky!

So I did get a reprieve... the contest is on hold for a couple of months because a few of us are doing a colon cleanse and that may affect the contest. Hopefully, I'll be down enough so I won't feel SO ashamed. Thanks ladies!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #10  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

My take: On another board I only post the number pounds I want lose and then weekly record how many I have lost. I am comfortable with that, even though they know that I want to lose over 100 lbs. Something about that makes me feel more secure than if they knew my actual weight number (not sure why). BUT - because these women are either related to me or are close friends, something about that just doesn't want to let them know. With you all, even though I feel I have made friends with you - I don't feel like I have to worry about it because we all share the same emotions and goals. Over there it isn't so, especially with family ties and friendships involved. That is just me. Some of us women can be fickle, can't we? LOL!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #11  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

LOL Ritzy, I do the SAME THING at the another board... I post what I've lost, but not the number.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #12  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

LOL! Gues I'm not alone here then? LOL!! But, in all seriousness, why do I do this? It's not like they are blind and cannot tell I need to lose! However, I have been told by even the nurse at my doctor's office that I don't look like I weigh "THAT" much, so I guess I feel like I would be giving them something to gossip about - and that is something I will NOT do! LOL!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 315/238/150

Height: 5-5

I haven't told the people I work with my weight, they know how much I have lost and I want to lose about that much more but I have never came out and said I weigh this much. I eat lunch with the same ladies everyday and they are all pretty good about being supportive, 1 isn't but that is just her, I work with mainly guys and several have commented on how great I look, especially the ones who haven't been here as long as me and only recently seen the before pictures, I think the idea of only the 1 person knowing would work best for me.
I used to go to ww meetings and the lady that would weigh me was always great, I about crawled into a hole last fall when I went to my daughters school and found out she is one of my daughters teachers, but you know its been great, not near as bad as I thought it would be.
there is nothing to be ashamed of its a number, but I totally understand the hesitants. I wouldn't let it stop you from participating though, go for, even if you don't win you will do an awesome job and feel so much better about yourself.

best of luck
yayimshrinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #14  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

Shrinking - It's funny how the same number I'm ashamed of now will be the number that makes me proud in the end. And btw, you ARE shrinking!!! We have the same starting weight. 80 lost, YOU GO!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

YOU MEAN THERE ARE OTHER BOARDS OUT THERE????? Get away. For real? And you participate in them? I am shocked. I'm not sure why, but I am. Is it better then this one? It can't be. How do you keep up? I have enough trouble keeping up with this one.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote